Names for your leader-generating units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Names for your leader-generating units

I was reading the "Riders or Cavalry?" thread and thought it would be fun to have a thread about what people name their "*" units.

Names I use often:

Warrior(not that I get a lot of GLs from warriors) - Grog
    Archer - Yeomen, King's/Queen's Bowmen
    Swordsman - Guardsman, Palace Guards
    Horseman - The Nine, The Companions, Robert's Raiders
    Knight - Crusaders, Knights of [name of civ I was conquering]
    Cavalry - 1st, 2nd, etc. Cavaliers, King's/Queen's Cavalry
    Tank/Modern Armor - 1st, 2nd, etc. Armor

Additional names dependant on UUs:

Riders - Celestial Raiders
    Samurai - Ronin
    Legionary - Praetorian Guards

Upgraded units that then generate a leader, however, retain their name.

So... what do you guys ('n gals) name your units?

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

After experiencing a smiliar "Rider" as Cavalry problem myself just after 1.29f came out, I started avoiding naming -- just leaving the unit as plain old XXX. But that's boring. So now I try to give them fanciful names - often relating to a nearby city or geographic reference and often relating to the civ and/or specific leader generated. I end up with things like "Oka's Defenders," London's Raiders," Napolean's Armour," etc.

Leader names don't always work well. I recently finished a game as the Iroquois (no horses until the end of the middle ages ), and though I followed my own convention of naming a "corps" after the leader that was generated, "Cornplanter's Corps" just felt wrong for the rest of the game.

Catt

Comment

"Cornplanter's Corps" Now that's funny.

I really like naming the units... it's such a small thing, but it adds some flavor, you know? I particularly like having "The Nine" running around. Makes me feel deliciously evil.

I need to come up with better names for my swordsmen and Cavalry (tanks are so late it doesn't matter to me, they can say as "1st, 2nd, etc")

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I haven't exactly been creative in that. I tend to name tanks Patton and thats when most of my GL were generated.

I have gotten a leader from a swordsmen finally. I named the unit D'Artangnan and would use the other Musketeers if I had more from swordsmen.

I got a couple GLs from Riders and I deliberatly gave them names that would annoy Chinese. Can't remember what though. Maybe it was Flashman.

Comment

Heroes of (cityname), or (cityname)'s Heroes -- defenders
          Scourge of (cityname), or Destroyers of (cityname) -- attacking/taking city
          1st (...) Fusiliers -- (cavalry, of course)

In my current game, I got a leader as I took the LAST Babylon city! Alas, it is a 1.21 (Macintosh) game from work.

Comment

I tend to name them after versions of my self. Self-centred I know. Or things like "Liberty", since they have freed an enslaved people...;-)
            "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
            --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

I call them by the location/event/challenge that made them a leader:

1) Iron Protector
              2) Last Defender
              3) Boat Escaper
              4) Hope Giver
              etc.

Comment

I started out the same as you, Arrian, with cool names from military history. Actually pulled out some of my books to keep coming up with new names.

I've been very boring now though:
                First Blade
                First Arrow
                First Mounted
                First Defender
                First Motor
                First Impregnable

And so on...

Boring, gotta jazz it up (although the convention works fairly well).
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Jo Mamma
                  Biznatch
                  Whoop A**
                  Bite Me
                  Big Daddy
                  .etc

Fullfills my desire to talk some smack to the computer.

Comment

I'm so lame

I call every one of my GL generating units "done".

Comment

I always name them after the leader they produced. Khufu's Fist, Tojo's Raiders, etc.
                      Lime roots and treachery!
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Royal Guard or something along those lines.
                        "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                        —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

i usually get swrodsmen to do the trick, and i name them cool, manly names, like "Vlad the Impaler", "Thor the Redeemer"
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I ussually name them after my cats, again not very creative, but somehow it works

BTW: do you guys try to keep them (more), now that they have names. I'm often sad to see them die , I sort of get attached to them.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva848
                              BTW: do you guys try to keep them (more), now that they have names. I'm often sad to see them die , I sort of get attached to them.
                              Well, the truth is that you become more attached to anything that has an actual name. I am sad too when one of my victorious units are lost Like when I lose tanks from Musketeers.....

Names I use:

Gaurdians of Fury
                              Swords of the Flame
                              Paladins
                              1st (2nd,3rd etc...) Battalion
                              Black-Ops
                              High Fighters
                              Air
                              " They will fight and die till the last warrior"
                              -Dimaratos to Xerxes, a few days before the battle in Thermopylae...

Comment

Working...
                              X