Fast Units no longer retreating at low health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Units no longer retreating at low health

Im attacking a fortified spearman unit with Knight. The thing is the Knight will fight to death (not retreat at 1 hp) thus making it a very expansive attempt to capture a city

is it a bug with 1.29f, or have I mi**** an option when creating my mod that has disabled the retreat for the Knights...

In the last patch, fast moving units don't always get to retreat. I believe there is a random number chance that dictates whether they are unable to retreat from battle.

IIRC, it was to prevent fast moving units from always escaping battle and making a player/AI with all fast moving units versus an enemy with all slow units from having too much of an advantage.

Comment

Re: Fast Units no longer retreating at low health

Originally posted by Alexoin
      Im attacking a fortified spearman unit with Knight. The thing is the Knight will fight to death (not retreat at 1 hp) thus making it a very expansive attempt to capture a city
      If the knight gets down to one hit it will ATTEMPT to retreat. There is a 50% chance of retreat. The other 50% it fails to break off and must continue. PLUS if the spearman gets down to one hit there is no retreat check. The last was always the case. The 50% retreat test was added in one of the early patches long before 1.29f because the fast units were doing so well it was unbalancing the game.

Comment

Fast units' probability of retreat varies with experience level. This began with version 1.17.
        Regular Unit: 50%
        Veteran: 58%
        Elite: 66 (or 67)%
        Conscript: 43% (?)

Comment

I see that was changed now. I just checked the readme. A retreat bonus was added to the editor in 1.21f according to the changes log.

I checked the editor you were close.

Conscript: 34%
          Regular Unit: 50%
          Veteran: 58%
          Elite: 66 %

Which makes elites even more usefull than I thought.

Comment

What happens when for example, you atack with an elite that doesn't have full hp?? Le'ts say 3/5.
            Is it then considered an Elite, or a regular with regard to retreat bonus percentages??
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

oh well did vaguely remember seeing something about retreating in one of the patch files. Anyone know if it is affected by difficulty level aswell as troop rank?

Ahh dammit just found cause the mod was originally designed before 1.21 patch and transferred through my retreat bonuses are set to 0/0/0 and oh 0

Comment

Tough break... I bet your knights were wondering why you wouldn't let the run away.
                Lime roots and treachery!
                "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by alva848
                  What happens when for example, you atack with an elite that doesn't have full hp?? Le'ts say 3/5.
                  Is it then considered an Elite, or a regular with regard to retreat bonus percentages??
                  They are still marked as elite in the info box. The editor's retreat setting is for the experience level not the hit points. So hits remaining won't matter. Even in a mod with double hit points an elite unit is still elite no matter how hits it has.

Comment

Working...
                  X