this combat system has to **GO**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heya self,

You're probably just suffering from post SMAC/X blues. Keep playing, and memorize the values of the units (instead of the "type") and you'll be fine.

Think of the spearman as a synthmetal infantry and the tank as a graviton hovertank and you'll curse even more.

It's definately a step backwards towards simplicity from SMAC/X, but the whole game (unfortunately IMO) is anyway, so you just have to do exactly what you described, ie tighten your belt and occasionally let loose a rant.

Maybe they'll get it right if they ever release SMAC II.
    Fitz. (n.) Old English
    1. Child born out of wedlock.
    2. Bastard.

Comment

self baised,

Hey, I hear you. I've screamed at my screen occasionally too. I've had some wacky results that, at the time, really pissed me off. For me, it's usually the loss of elite units in ancient times when I'm trying to get leaders. I know how the combat system works, and I accept it, but even so I find myself berating my little pixels and/or the evil RNG. But I've also had lots of good fortune.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Different Civ's make different soldiers. Are you attacking or being attacked by a militaristic Civ? They tend to do better from the beginning, hanging on with a single hit point left, even from barbarians, who should beat them.

Know your Civ's, and play!

Comment

The militaristic trait conveys the following advantages:

1) walls, barracks, harbours and airports are 1/2 cost in shields.

2) units have a better chance of being promoted conscript -> regular -> veteran -> elite.

There is no actual combat advantage, except that which is gained from having more experienced units in the field.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I´ve doubled all HP´s for the different Experience Levels et voila, the probalibilty of SPearman or other Low-Tech-Units winning against Hightech-Units was diminished.
            Sometimes your Units still lose a lot of HPs to obsolete Units, but that´s one thing I can live with

I´d still refrain from attacking Pikemen fortified in a fortress on the Top of a mountain if I´ve just one single Tank-Unit near. As Planetfall mentioned, there are still some tactical considerations one has to make, even with Hightech-Units
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Yeah, this debate was done to death- immensely:

Fiddling with HP values is best. In my personal modifications, I set a standard of 5hp conscrtipt, 7 regular, 9 veteran, 10 elite., then I gave HP bonuses, both negative and positive, to most units. So, the most HP a spearman can have is 8 (-2) while the best a tank can have is 11 (+1). With such a system, spearmen beating tanks is as nearly impossible as in real life. Overall, this woks great, so that with time, not only A/D values but HP imporves as well.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Not to distract anyone from the fascinating debate of the combat mechanism and hps, but...

self biased, do you want to share with the crowd what I would guess to be at least 40-50 Knights were doing attacking you?
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

no.. it was only a handfull. fifteen at most.

the thing that annoys me is that a dis-proportionate amount of battles were being wonby units who should only be winning a third of the time.
                  I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                  [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I know you've been around for a while, and you seem pretty experienced, so I don;t want to cross any lines here, but I find what you report *extremely* difficult to believe.

15 Knights taking out 10 Riflemen? In Cities? Fortified, I assume?

Assuming all vets and grassland, a Knight has an 8.5% chance of taking out a Riflemen as described.

Hard to believe, although of course statistically possible.

Do you have a SAV?
                    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

yeah.. that's about accurate. unfortunately, though.. i've trashed that save, and started a new game that i've been playing for a hundred turns or so...
                      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

That's a very dramatic anomally... next time something that extreme happens, you should post a SAV.

Comment

oh wow. I think you're the first person to complain about the combat system.

Everyone else likes it. So it isn't going anywhere.
                          Last edited by Dis; October 3, 2002, 23:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                            oh wow. I think your the first person to complain about the combat system.

Everyone else likes it. So it isn't going anywhere.

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

hey no need to laugh at my grammical error! . I fixed your to you're.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                                hey no need to laugh at my grammical error! . I fixed your to you're.
                                I was laughing at the part where you said " everyone likes it."

It was debated to death!
                                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                                X