No announcement yet.

Is it allowed to praise Firaxis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not very vocal about this since I don't want to be reffered to as a fanboy all the time. BUt I really appreciate what firaxis has done. YOu would too if you started out computer gaming like I did>

About last year I downloaded the demo to zoo tycoon. You know, what the hell, sounds like fun. And I never expected to buy the full version anyways, right? wrong.
    So I bought the full version. 1 month later, I found myself wanting to destroy the CD. If I didn't pay 40 bucks for it I would've The damn people like food more that animals?? And you need to put bathrooms everywhere. There was absolutely no pinnacle to gameplay.

That one left a sour taste in my mouth towards all RTS games.

A little while later (winter break) I went out and bought sim city 3000. Hey I liked the original and thought what the hell. It was an okay game. only problems were it was WAY to easy and all the buildings looked the same. SC1 had a greater variety of buildings! I quickly got bored of that.

My conclusion was RTS sucks

now I don't really like shooters, or action or whatever the hell you call em, so I went out looking for a real computer game. A strategy game. Something like chess, but with a little more pizzaz and attitude. Something were killing enemy unit's left a patriotic feeling in your gut.

lo and behold, I discovered Civ3 last June. Brought it home, booted up the computer, and haven't left the basement yet. Not only was it challenging, but it was also fun, with unlimited replayability. The type of chess I've been looking for.

I'd pay almost anything to have PTW right now..........
    Seriously, If I don't get it soon than this might end badly for firaxis! I know were they live (actually I dont ).

Comment

Hi all,
      Yes lets all continue to support Firaxis and Infogrames in there great efforts to give people a game they want to play.

They have listened - multiplayer will shorlty be a reality, patches have been released every couple of months, the editor for scenarios is continuously improved since launch. Another patch will surely come out a few weeks after PTW is released to clear up bugs being discussed here and others found too close to production date to do anything with.

Remember that if the developer loses interest there is no more development of the fan base and all that is left is about 10,000 die-hard fans. Long live Firaxis and Infogrames and long may they continue to develop this game.

There are very few games where such a wide range of gameplay and tactics that can be used for so many different ways of winning. Much more achievement than remembering that alien X hides behind rock Y and is blasted with weapon Z x 1,000 and I win again.

Has anybody regularly beaten this game at Deity level? - I think not.
      Could Firaxis develop an AI that learns your style of gameplay and stop you every time (christmas 2003 AI enhancement add-on & expansion pack $39.99 or £39.99)?
      After CIVIII, christmas 2001, PTW, christmas 2002, what is the christmas (cynical) 2003 offering to be? If there isn't one the game will slowly die.
      Just a couple more (controversial) thoughts.

Regards
      Sun_Tzu
      Lady Astor : "If I were your wife I would put poison in your drink"
      Churchill : "If I were your husband I would gladly drink it"
      Unclear words can wipe out all human life on earth if used improperly

Comment

Hi all,
        Yes lets all continue to support Firaxis and Infogrames in there great efforts to give people a game they want to play.

They have listened - multiplayer will shorlty be a reality, patches have been released every couple of months, the editor for scenarios is continuously improved since launch. Another patch will surely come out a few weeks after PTW is released to clear up bugs being discussed here and others found too close to production date to do anything with.

Remember that if the developer loses interest there is no more development of the fan base and all that is left is about 10,000 die-hard fans. Long live Firaxis and Infogrames and long may they continue to develop this game.

There are very few games where such a wide range of gameplay and tactics that can be used for so many different ways of winning. Much more achievement than remembering that alien X hides behind rock Y and is blasted with weapon Z x 1,000 and I win again.

Has anybody regularly beaten this game at Deity level? - I think not.
        Could Firaxis develop an AI that learns your style of gameplay and stop you every time (christmas 2003 AI enhancement add-on & expansion pack $39.99 or £39.99)?
        After CIVIII, christmas 2001, PTW, christmas 2002, what is the christmas (cynical) 2003 offering to be? If there isn't one the game will slowly die.
        Just a couple more (controversial) thoughts.

Regards
        Sun_Tzu

Comment

Tiberius,
          You have CIVI. Does it run on Windows98, 95, 3.1? I remember seeing it in the shops long ago but have not seen it for ages. Is there a supplier still has it?
          I have CIVII for Playstation and for PC. The Playstation version is way better than the original PC game.

Thanks for answering
          Sun_Tzu

Comment

Civ I runs on 98SE. I did not try it on XP yet, but I am sure it will work. It was given away by Computer Games Mag, it says on mine CGCD 131.

Comment

It runs on XP. I should know, I have tried.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by sun_tzu_159 Has anybody regularly beaten this game at Deity level? - I think not.
                Actually, there is a system to winning every game, regardless of difficulty level, with the win coming in the Industrial Age at the latest. But I'll leave you to figure that one out
                Up the Irons!
                Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                Odysseus and the March of Time
                I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Yes you can win at any level, it is a question of what you prefer to play. Some enjoy Deity, I do not so I play a few just to stay in touch, but prefer Monarch. You just can't use the same technics at all times on all levels and met with the same sucess. Sometimes I have to adjust for the same level the very next time I play it. Depends on the civ, the map and the locations,

Comment

Re: Is it allowed to praise Firaxis?

Originally posted by georges bonbon
                    As a regular reader of all this forums, I read a lot of suggestions, possible ameliorations, etc... A lot of good work.

What bothers me the most is the complaints and the endless nagging.

Very rarely I find a word of praise for the developpers.

So, thank you guys at Firaxis for giving me and other silent people hours of pleasure at a cheap price.

Just thank you.
                    Well now that Coracle doesn't seem to be here anymore, and jimmytrick stays away from this forum, it is okay to say thank you...
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Well I know I've clocked more than 100 hours on this game. Probably more like 200. So doing the math

$40.00/200 = 0.20 an hour. A bargain compared to going to the movies.

Comment

I gotta chime in here...

ALL HAIL FIRAXIS!! (you evidently have very strong culture, and a good military).

BUT, please tell us how anarchy, AI Civilization Governor, and build preferences work!! Please??
                        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Well, everybody knows I am a hard fanboy anyway, so it will do me no harm to drop a few words of praise...

Reselling computer games in our retail outlet, I have tried maybe hundreds of games of all genres. 99% of them got uninstalled within the first week. Civ3 has been staying on my HDD from the very beginning and is unlikely to ever get uninstalled. Simply put, I have no other game with the same level of replayability.

Civ3 is definitely not a perfect game... I can think of myriads of improvements, ranging from subtle to vital. But the game at its current state is a very fine one.

Thank you, Soren, Dan, Mike, and everybody else at Firaxis. You have my undying respect for what you created and for what you keep improving.

Comment

but give us a damn scenario editor...
                            Up the Irons!
                            Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                            Odysseus and the March of Time
                            I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Just wait, and buy PTW.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Yes I think its OK to say Thank You Firaxis!!so Thank You Firaxis!!
                                A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Working...
                                X