Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What IS the point of the stealth fighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What IS the point of the stealth fighter?

It can't do air supremacy (why?)
    and it can't bomb better than the "WWII" bombers
    Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

its just for show...

dont build the damn thing if u dont like it!

Comment

In RL, it can't do Air Supremacy either. It was built for use with precision strike in mind. The SB is still better though.
      Seemingly Benign
      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

The term "fighter" is a misnomer In the game, just as in reality the stealth fighter is a bomber or ground attack vehicle.

From air force-technology.com
        The mission of the aircraft is to penetrate dense threat environments and attack high-value targets with high accuracy.
        I have never built one as the stealth bomber is available, but if construction time were to become an issue I would consider it's use.

Comment

The point of the Stealth Fighter is that you can increase its strength in the editor to an 8 (I left its RoF at 2), and that in an intense air defense environment it is still safe to use.

Comment

Its possibly because you don't have the patch 1.29 until i upgraded precision bombing or air sup never worked, now it does.
            If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected - SunTzu

Comment

If you use the editor to give it Air supremacy, you can make it a nice upgrade to the jet fighter.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I've always believed that it is simply a less powerful but half-price stealth bomber.

And if you do mod it to allow air supremacy, be sure to also mod it so that it has attack and defense values - otherwise, it will lose every dogfight it engages!

Catt

Comment

It can do recon with low chance of being shot down? But I'm not sure you can be shot down on recon missions, so...

-Alech
                  "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

Originally posted by Akaoz
                    It can do recon with low chance of being shot down? But I'm not sure you can be shot down on recon missions, so...

-Alech
                    You won't get shot down doing recon. But since you mention it, a dedicated recon aircraft would be a nice addition.

Comment

I rarely build them, but when I do it is usually because a city can crank them out. With precision strike enough of them can demolish a city.
                      Seemingly Benign
                      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I rarely ever get to the point where I can build stealth units. So not only is the Stealth Fighter useless to me, the Stealth Bomber is also useless.
                        "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                        "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                        "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

But if you did get that late into a game, the stl bomber is very useful. No concern over jets on air patrol, much larger range, too bad they still miss as much. Turn of all victories except conquest and you will get to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                            But if you did get that late into a game, the stl bomber is very useful. No concern over jets on air patrol, much larger range, too bad they still miss as much. Turn of all victories except conquest and you will get to use them.
                            They only miss as much because they are probably bombing Mech Infantry, and perhaps those MI are in a metro (assuming they get the metro bonus during bombardment). OTOH, IRL the stealth bombers are being used as single bombers instead of in formations of dozens of bombers as in previous wars.

To simulate guided bombs (as opposed to iron bombs), perhaps their bombardment strength should be increased 12 or 16, which could be quite devastating. (Oh no, not another trip to the editor! )

Comment

Originally posted by Lucarse
                              Its possibly because you don't have the patch 1.29 until i upgraded precision bombing or air sup never worked, now it does.
                              I have got the 1.29 patch but I don't appear to have a precision strike option anywhere. in the manual it says to press "P" but that doesn't do anything.
                              Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

Working...
                              X