New Seven Wonders Project & Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Seven Wonders Project & Poll

I've found this site http://www.newsevenwonders.com, quite related to the over debated argument of wonders to include in Civ 3.

I tried to see if someone already mentioned in this forum, but I fail, so I hope is not a remake

In short, there is a project to define the new seven wonders of the world from a modern point of view (but including some old as the Great Wall of China.
    The web visitors can also vote the preferred wonder.
    A movie will be shot of the selected wonders in march 2001, using an amphibian aircraft for the tour and streaming the movie live in Internet.

I hope it will add some different tought related to game wonders.

------------------
    Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
    - Admiral Naismith

Am I the only one who got an invalid URL?
    "The free market is ugly and stupid, like going to the mall; the unfree market is just as ugly and just as stupid, except there is nothing in the mall and if you don't go there they shoot you." - P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Evil Capitalist on 10-05-2000 03:20 AM
      Am I the only one who got an invalid URL?

No you're not....same problem here.

Adm.Naismith, could you check it out again?

Comment

Yeah, I found the the mistake - an extra comma:

It's here

------------------
        No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
        No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

OK, I've had a look around. The choices on the voting page are kind of strange. Some of them I've never heard of(e.g. the old city of Sana'a, machu Pichu), some I've heard of but can't imagine as legitimate choices (e.g.Timbuktu, Sydney Opera House).

I doubt it will really catch on. (I mean getting the world to vote for new 7 wonders )

I'd really hate it if some of these obscure ones make it into civ 3 too.

Comment

quote:

Sydney Opera House... I'd really hate it if some of these obscure ones make it into civ 3 too.

Obscure - I happen to think that while the opera probably shouldn't be a wonder, it certainly isn't obscure!

------------------
            No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
            No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

Of course, I didn't mean the opera house when I said that There are lots more that are much more obscure than that one in the list. All the same, with no disrespect meant to Aussies, I wouldn't put it in.

Comment

Pretty limited choice. I like the Statues of Easter Islands though

------------------
                If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
                A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Sorry for comma added at the end of URL, I tried to separate it but the parser convert it anyway.

Yes, I agree the choice is way too limited. I find the proposal are a bit of a strange mix.
                  "Statues of Easter Islands" is an interesting choice, but I'm not sure how widely know they were in the past.

I'm thinking they should become an interesting variant of SMAX monolith concept: place with old ruins/buildings/natural resources that offer a benefit first time a unit discover it.

We already have Civ huts, but I agree they must evolve into native tribe/minor civ you must relate with diplomatics.
                  We have special location in SMAC that offer permanent bonus, but I'm thinking more about "one-shoot" opportunities, e.g "You discover Galapagos island: gain a xx bonus in research for ten turns".

------------------
                  Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                  "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                  - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Working...
                  X