Unit Abilities: Wheeled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Abilities: Wheeled

What on earth does the "Wheeled" ability for units do?

I read somewher that it wasn't used... Or was that something else?

-Alech
    "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

The "wheeled" ability restricts the unit's ability to move into Jungle or Mountain squares that do not have a road in place. It currently affects standard units like catapults, chariots, cannons, and war chariots.

Comment

Why didn't they use it on more modern units?

-Alech
      "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

Don't know.
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Even modern tanks can't really handle steep mountain ranges, and tanks were pretty ineffective in the jungles of vietnam, so In my mod they are wheeled. It doesn't really change much, though, because by then everything is RR'd.
          Rhett Monroe Chassereau

"I use to be with it, then they changed what it is. And what I'm with isn't it, and what is it seems strange and scary to me." -Abe Simpson

Comment

That might well be the reason- the realization that when you get to Modern Times, the wheeled ability is just going to be a very occasional annoyance. By the way- does it apply to wheeled units attempting to cross enemy/neutral AI territory, or are you allowed to use the roads for that purpose only?
            KoH
            "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquistive idiots."

Comment

that's a very good question...

Comment

I think using the wheeled ability for Tanks could introduce a couple interesting strategies.

For example, If you've got one of those cities that is surrounded (or protected) by a mountain chain, tanks can't get to it.

Although, regarding the question above, perhaps the roads and railroads would have to be destroyed, first?

- Skeeve
                My Reach always exceeds my Grasp...

Comment

and what happens if you take a wheeled unit into a roaded jungle or mountain and then pillage the improvement? is it trapped? never tried this myself anyone know?
                  "As far as I'm concerned, humans have yet to come up with a belief worth believing." --George Carlin

Comment

You can still pass over roaded mountains and the like in enemy territory with a wheeled unit. I have done it with war chariots. It seems that enemy territory just removes the increased movement points of roads, but it doesn't make it actually unroaded for units. It's all very strange though, I don't see how you can possibly make it so that you can't use roads. Rails yes, but roads?
                    May reason keep you,

Blue Moose

Comment

This creates an interesting defense strategy: not RRing your unsued jungle/Mountain areas, and using those as defensive sones. The only problem is that your automated workers tend to want to RR every bit of land under your control.
                      Rhett Monroe Chassereau

"I use to be with it, then they changed what it is. And what I'm with isn't it, and what is it seems strange and scary to me." -Abe Simpson

Comment

as well as cut down all jungles in your territory, even those outside of the range of city resource collection.
                        May reason keep you,

Blue Moose

Comment

I have considered making mountains totally inpassable by any unit, if not roaded...

It could make some interesting defend strategies.
                          Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

But how would you road them?

edit: spelling
                            May reason keep you,

Blue Moose

Comment

Special mountain climbing workers
                              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
                              X