No announcement yet.

A novel idea - Icebergs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who needs good AI when you can eat a billion ice cubes for dinner?

------------------
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

Didn't think of it that way. We must of course have icebergs in civ3
      We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

*Dumps EC on an iceberg*

*Adds sawdust the the iceberg*

Just joking. However, icebergs are an interesting concept, it could add realism to the game and could become a key part of strategy...

Hehe... I think I just envisioned Ming sending a vast fleet to tow away all the icebergs.... Who knows, maybe "mass-iceberg towing" could be the ICS of the future....
        *grumbles about work*

Comment

"Sir, we have a problem..."
          "What is it?"
          "There appears to be enemy ships approaching tanker 102A"
          "That's one of the ice-bergs towing ones!"
          "Yes, sir."
          "No! We must NOT let them have it - defend the ice berg AT ALL COSTS!"
          "Sir?"
          "Use bombers, nukes, whatever... we'll show them who'll get the ice cubes..."

------------------
          No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

Now my idea of barbarian locust-units doesn't sound so strange to me anymore...

Comment

Now I'm almost sure some of us use to drink way too much...

------------------
              Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Heh, watch it, or I'll free some ice cubes with SAW DUST and throw it at you...

------------------

Comment

*Goes over to UltraSonix and shows him the script*

No, no, no....

You have to freeze the people in the sawdust/iceberg.

*Zoom to EC stuck in the iceberg*
                  *grumbles about work*

Comment

Pointless, but it'd be pretty fun.. You could drag a ton of icebergs to somewhere around a coastal city and watch potential attacker go down...

------------------
                    Get paid for every second you spend online at http://referral.jotter.com/join/bulk
                    Refer people (like what I'm doing) to earn even more. $50 a month is not uncommon.

-Shiva
                    Email: shiva@shivamail.com
                    Web: http://www.shivamail.com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sir Shiva on 09-23-2000 05:52 AM
                      Pointless, but it'd be pretty fun.. You could drag a ton of icebergs to somewhere around a coastal city and watch potential attacker go down...

Or you could tow some icebergs in front of an opposing city's harbor. Or even better, a Mine Unit. The Mine Unit has a movement of 0. It can be moved around by allied transports, though once activated it is harmful to both allied and enemy units. Units trying to move through the mine unit recieve damage, though they -are- able to move into the square occupied by the Mine, and past it. Mines unit never recieve damage, but their attack does decrease to reflect the fact that some mines already exploded.

Also, late in the game, use of this unit might be considered an atrocity.
                      [This message has been edited by beyowulf (edited September 25, 2000).]
                      "L33T Master must not eat 'scuzzy' things from trash. Not healthy. Give bad gas." - MegaTokyo
                      "Horses can not be Astronaughts..." - A Servbot

Comment

I'm gonna have to be an anchor on this idea along with Provost and Dalgetti...

An iceberg? This is Civ 3 we're talking about.

Things Civ deals with
                        Rise and fall of empires
                        Diplomacy
                        War
                        Trade
                        City construction
                        Wonder construction
                        Spread of technology
                        Running an empire

I don't see how icebergs fit in any of these categories, or any category that Civ has come to be. An iceberg is a thing...you can't DRAG an iceberg anywhere. It's not a unit. You can't trade with it. You can't move it...I can see it being a reason for losing a ship, but only as a message (Our ship has been lost due to hitting an iceberg)

I think it's neccesary to concentrate on what the game is, and not tiny details that have no consequence in the game. Honestly think about it. With all the micromanagement that exists - do your eally want to be worried about Icebergs? Buying, selling, building, moving, dodging???

Sorry

------------------
                        "One day I will become a master at every woman's favourite game,'Guess what I'm upset about'" ~ LatG
                        "Dookie doesn't spam, he just makes funposts" ~ Dookie
                        "I duct taped myself to the wall" ~ Fallen Angel Lord
                        "You have a dangerous degree of obesssion with modern chivalry" ~ EvC on Speer
                        "um...Geez, I don't know. I'm mature for my age or something?" ~ Bill3000
                        "It's a good bunch here!...better than my miserable social life in Hull" ~ Provost on Apolyton
                        [This message has been edited by OrangeSfwr (edited October 02, 2000).]

Comment

*UltraSonix throws sawdust-strengthened ice bergs at Orange*

Notice the word in the title - "novel"? It's just a small thing that the designers could put into the game - I, for one, would think it's cool to drag a few icebergs around!

(Beside, I think the rise and fall of empires thing should not be bothered by Firaxis - but that's another matter for when the issue resurfaces...)

------------------
                          No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...

Comment

Working...
                          X