The Olympic games wonder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Olympic games wonder

I know they are already mentioned in The List, but because of their start in real life, I would like to remember Firaxis to put "Olympic Games" as a wonder.

But now I wonder (I know, bad pun ) if they must add them as an ancient wonder (original Greeks) or a modern one (De Coubertin restart).

Also, in your opinion, which effects they must bring?

Just some suggestion:
    - stop any wars with civ who build it, for a game turn every four (old age)
    - improve diplomatic relations (modern age) if not during global (every civ on game) war: every civ become a step less bitter/angry
    - raise happyness in every city for a turn every four (maybe we can have some negative wave effects, we can switch on a permanent happyness increse)

Oh, I know that four turns aren't equal to four years, it's just a number for the sake of discussion.

BTW, you australian people are enjoing the event or are you suffer for too much hype, traffic, security and the like?

------------------
    Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
    - Admiral Naismith

How about having a single wonder that is the ancient games, but after reaching a set date, auto converts into the modern games, with all its associated sponsors, drugs, vote-rigging...

But I was also thinking that doesn't the Olympic Games get passed from city to city? So shouldn't different cities in your (and maybe your ally's) empires get the benefits of the Games?

And yeah, now that the Opening Ceremony's about 24hrs away, the media's gone nuts with the Olympics Games. They've already had a soccer (football for all you guys) match, and the media was treating Australia like it had a chance! And they were playing Italy!

------------------
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
    No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

How about an increase in the treasury to go with increased happiness every four turns?

Comment

UltraSonix
        quote:

the media was treating Australia like it had a chance! And they were playing Italy

I know, I'm italian, but I tried to be polite with my Olympic trouble list

Back to Wonder: to be honest I wasn't thinking in term of City Wonder, but as Civ Wonder (effects spread all over the owner Civ).
        But you have a good point: if ancient games were a Greeks affair, modern ones are more cross civ.

Maybe we must consider Olympic Games as a "project" that enable every player, when accomplished (as Manhattan or Apollo project in civ2) to gain some benefit.

Hmmm, I have a silly idea: how about a diplomatic agreement to elect next "olympic games city". That city and its civ will gain the benefit (trade, diplomatic plus, etc.); next time you must vote again but for a city of a different Civ.

------------------
        Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Maybe it could give a one-time benifit, and the city which can muster the most shields for it can host it that year. Shields carry forth to the next Olympic.

And the Games should be able to be "rebuilt" every four years.
          *grumbles about work*

Comment

This sounds more like something the UN Council could 'elect' a state to host, rather than something to be built.
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Actually, the Olympic Games would only POSSIBLY cause passive temperment in the civs. I mean, if there's anything that brings out the hostility in people its sports and nationalism!

The Soviet Union and the U.S. had some pretty tense moments when one beat the pants off the other, and sometimes they just refused to show up. In fact, countries have had wars that had sports as catalysts (Honduras and El Salvador...) but I definitely think the Games are a good idea though.

Also, as we've seen the Olympics are a hot zone for terrorist attacks (or attempted attacks). That might be something. Maybe enemy AI civs are more prone to attack cities that are hosting?

Comment

quote:

and the media was treating Australia like it had a chance! And they were playing Italy!

Aww, come on. I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about football, but the Aussies put up a real fight. They attacked for the whole game instead of resigning themselves to defending, and they only conceeded a goal with 10 minutes to go due to a silly mistake. Go Aussies! (I can watch any sport with passion if I've got someone to barrack for. - I'll be watching the opening ceremony on TV in about 15 minutes)

- MKL
                - mkl

Comment

I've got absolutely nothing to syaing on the topic of the wonder, but I just wanted to say that I'm watching the Opening Ceremony - wasn't all those floating people/fish cool?

------------------
                  No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

greetings to down-under.
                    i've never seen such a great performance as today,
                    especially liked the undersea and the aborigenee parts.
                    wwooww

Comment

I was sooooo hoping it wasn't going to be a lame performance, but I was quite happy with it in the end. A pretty good effort.

As a wonder, the Olympics could certainly be used, if the IOC would ever allow it (probably not). It could probably be said that Greece gained some sort of advantage from holding the ancient games. But I'm not sure that it should be a recurring thing like he modern Olympics. Unless there's other recurring wonders like it, then it's probably going to get unneccssarily complex.

- MKL
                      - mkl

Comment

My idea above of having a modern Olympics wonder that helps bolster random elements of different cities of your civ (and maybe your ally's) every four turn/years is probably the easiest way (though maybe not the best) to implement the wonder.

Anyway, I didn't notice a single kangaroo or koala in the Opening ceremony, which was pleasing - got to get rid of old stereotypes - just look a my sig:

------------------
                        [This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited September 16, 2000).]

Comment

Well, your athletics threw little cangaroos to the audience.
                          By the way for all americans: We don't have kangaroos in Austria!

Comment

In order to build the Olympic Games Wonder, a Civ must get the vote from the UN Planetary Council. To win the vote, they must bribe more members than other Civ's.

Comment

Ok, here's an idea. The Olympics should be an ancient wonder - whoever builds them gets some sort of tourism bonus I'd say. But today, Greece still gets benefits from the modern olympics - just as a minor thing, the flame starts there for example. So I'd say, in the modern era, if the games have been built, then the nations can vote to "reform modern Olymics". The country with the wonder then gets an additional bonus to indicate the extra tourism generated by raising public awareness. Also, every four years (turns, whatever), a "Host nation" is chosen, randomly with a probability based on might (perhaps never more than once every so many olympics), and they accrue an even bigger benefit from the hosting of the games themselves - perhaps after an initial outlay. They can decline to host, in which case the games either do not happen, or happen elsewhere.

What sayest thou?
                              The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                              Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                              All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                              "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Working...
                              X