What's your platform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your platform?

What I mean is that we all have ideas about what we want, and we give ideas in each topic about different aspects of the game we'd like to see strengthened or altered, but where do we stand collectively? I've seen people that have responded in support of ideas that contradict earlier statements, so now that we've got a good batch of ideas, which ones do you definitely want?

I am typically a pro-micromanagement person, so
    I want:

1. A City-based Market System with resources that determine commodities, and have an impact on unit & building construction, and which allows economic warfare like better sieges, blockades, and anaconda plans.

2. More tactical options & supply lines in combat

3. Rural populations that expand and grow without player intervention.

4. The removal of "trade" and "spy" units, and have them replaced with Ministries as was suggested just recently.

5. The introduction of an Air Transport unit that can ship units not only from city to city, but to airbases as well.

6. Ability to move and use stacked or grouped units as one force.

7. Change from the production of units to the purchase of units, so that production only applies to improvements and wonders. (This would get rid of people's problem of the warrior that takes 300 years to produce, etc.) And allow units to be sold or bought on the open market.

8. Borders.

9. Allow for the purchase of roads and canals rather than having Settlers only provide this function, and construction of railroads by granting land to imaginary railroad corporations (this one I'm not sure about).

10. New warfare features including a feature on Cannons to take down city walls (which is why they were invented), and for Bombers and Battleships to attack city improvements or units.

That's about it for now. What's your stand?

I support most of your points here.
    On point 7 I have to disagree a bit.
    I’d like to see a separation between arms and men in the way Youngsun (unit workshop module thread) proposed.
    Arms should be produced or bought. Men should be drafted or hired.
    You should only be able to buy or hire when there are any arms or men (mercenaries) on the supply side (a world market screen or such).
    Any more reactions?

------------------
    Adopt, Adapt and Improve
    Adopt, Adapt and Improve

Comment

IMHO, to suggest a platform is better to define first a common ground, i.e. some index of topics to declare.

Just for example I suppose we should start using the index of The List 2:

CITY IMPROVEMENTS
      CITY/REGIONAL MENUS
      CIVILIZATIONS
      COMBAT
      DIPLOMACY AND BORDERS
      ECONOMICS/TRADE/RESOURCE MANAGEMENT AND UNIT SUPPORT
      GRAPHICS
      MOVEMENT
      RADICAL IDEAS
      RELIGION
      TECHNOLOGY
      MAP, TERRAIN & TERRAIN IMPROVEMENTS
      UNITS
      WONDERS
      MISCELLANEOUS
      SOCIAL ENGINEERING SYSTEMS
      CUSTOMISATION
      PLAYER INTERFACE
      RADICAL IDEAS

Once we define the index, anyone can put what he/she prefer for every topic (or simply let some topic empty).

Otherwise, supposing we are strong enough, we can make a cross table with the different proposal, so we'll end with a mega poll anyone vote for... well, may be no!

------------------
      Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
      "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
      - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Cannon strenght should be brought down to 4 regularly unless they are
        fighting walls in which they would have an attack of 6 and have a
        60% chance to take down the walls each attack.

Quote Lines:
        ------------------------------
        --So you want to be a hero...
        --Something wicked this way comes...
        --Farenheit 451... Whew that's hot!
        --Settler- From NONE, Chieftan- of Peril, Warlord- of the Ring, Prince- of Persia, Emperor- of Evil, Deity- of too much time on ones hands...
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

*Bump.*
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

My platform is wood.

Oh, sorry, wrong kind of platform

I don't mind some micromanagement but I rather get on with the game instead of going through the pains of checking every blasted city every turn. I am strongly in favour of streamlining the game with lots of automation processes (all optional, of course).
            [This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited September 22, 2000).]
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

quote:

I am strongly in favour of streamlining the game with lots of automation processes (all optional, of course).

Yep.

Other parts of my platform:
              AI - as in - have one...
              Diplomacy
              Trade/Spying - remove those pointless units
              Scenario creation

Parts that aren't part of my platform (minor things not worth Firaxis's precious time ):
              CITY IMPROVEMENTS
              CIVILIZATIONS
              COMBAT
              GRAPHICS
              MOVEMENT
              RELIGION
              TECHNOLOGY
              MAP, TERRAIN & TERRAIN IMPROVEMENTS
              UNITS
              WONDERS
              PLAYER INTERFACE

------------------
              No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
              No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

Working...
              X