Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uranium? On the map? Natural Resource? No...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uranium? On the map? Natural Resource? No...

I though uranium was man-made? So why is it a naturally recurring resource in civ3? Same goes for Aluminium?
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Uranium and aluminum are both naturally occuring elements. Plutonium is made from uranium, and does not occur naturally (I believe). Uranium is enriched before being put to use -- atoms of different atomic weights are seperated from each other (to a degree).

So that "No" in the thread title looks a little silly now. You might want to make less of a declaration about things in the future before you check your facts.
    "God is dead." - Nietzsche
    "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

Both come from ores and have to be refined. I think that rather than try to cover all of these ore sources they just lumped them into the refined element.

Comment

yes. uranium is in nature. we refine it (like iron ore). same with alum.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Aluminium is from iron, so is steel. Thats why i made modern ships need iron so that it stays valuble!
          Help negate the vegiterian movement!
          For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

Plutonium is man-made---made from Uranium as someone said. Of course, uranium has since been phased out by plutonium and whatever is in an H-Bomb (what IS in an H-bomb?)
            "Nos moritori te salutamus!"---Gladiator Phrase

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 Forever!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM2433
              Uranium and aluminum are both naturally occuring elements. Plutonium is made from uranium, and does not occur naturally (I believe).
              Plutonium exist naturally too (in extremely small amounts). One of the Uranium isotopes will double decay into Plutonium naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by cgannon64
                Plutonium is man-made---made from Uranium as someone said. Of course, uranium has since been phased out by plutonium and whatever is in an H-Bomb (what IS in an H-bomb?)
                Pl does naturaly occure as well. Usualy in small amounts near U.

U, Al, and Pl are all elements that are natural to the earth.

You can't make Al... since it's an element that is stable.

I'm still working on a machine that turns anything to Gold.
                I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
                  Aluminium is from iron, so is steel. Thats why i made modern ships need iron so that it stays valuble!
                  Ahhh..... No.

Aluminum is not made from Iron(Fe 26 on the periodic table). It is a seperate element, Al (13 on the periodic table). It is refined from a variety of minerals containing aluminum oxides, including bauxite and a number of others. While iron might also be present in those minerals, its presence is not required.

A good starting reference for the elements, including Aluminum and Uranium is the Los Alamos National Laboratory's Periodic Table of Elements.

Comment

Originally posted by cgannon64
                    (what IS in an H-bomb?)
                    H-Bomb.

Hydrogen bomb.

But don't quote me on that.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM2433
                      So that "No" in the thread title looks a little silly now. You might want to make less of a declaration about things in the future before you check your facts.
                      Actually, you'll see that I used question marks, i.e. suggesting that I wasn't sure and was asking a question. So that statement in your post looks a little silly now. You might want to make less of a declaration about things in the futue before you check your facts.

Up the Irons!
                      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Originally posted by kmill25

H-Bomb.

Hydrogen bomb.

But don't quote me on that.
                        Correct.

The original atomic bombs were pure fission devices. All they really did was slap quantities of uranium or plutonium together to create a criticial mass for an uncontrolled fission reaction.

The Hydrogen bomb was the first fission-fusion bomb. The fission reaction is actually being used to power a far more powerful fusion reaction in a small amount of tritium(hydrogen isotope) contained in the center of the device. Thus the name.

I don't know that many of the nucs in the arsenals of at least the leading powers are pure fission devices anymore. Maybe some of the tac nukes, though I'm not sure what sort of tricks they pull in the Dial-a-Yield bombs. All of the ICBMs would be fission-fusion bombs these days. Much higher yields per weapon, with little increase in the size.

Pure fission devices would however be technically simpler to manfacture for a country attempting to bootstrap itself into the Nuclear Club.

Comment

Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812

Actually, you'll see that I used question marks, i.e. suggesting that I wasn't sure and was asking a question. So that statement in your post looks a little silly now. You might want to make less of a declaration about things in the futue before you check your facts.

Actually......The "No..." make it looks like your saying "Is Clinton the current leader of America? No......he isn't."
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

*sigh* I suppose that's what I get for trying to inject a little humour into the procedings. Oh well...
                              Up the Irons!
                              Rogue CivIII FAQ!

Comment

Working...
                              X