Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I gather the AI was cheating on this one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who instantly go on a superiority trip when others make an off-handed remark about the computer cheating are obnoxious.

Comment

---My city was connected to all my other cities via a railroad. Their city was also connected to their capitol due to my roads. My city was purely of my own race, while their's was an Indian-occupied city of Japanese.

---I have no modifications to my game. I am willing to accept 3 depletions, considering I was able to secure a 4th. However, getting my city flipped when the situation was 100% contrary to the rules as they were explained by a Dev is either a cheat or a bug.

---Note: my first Iron depletion was immediately after building my first Swordsman which was the same turn as my initial offensive rush. The second was before I got railroads, but after Swordsmen, so it was no great loss. The third left me at about 70% railroaded territory. The fourth loss isn't a major problem now since I'm about 90% railroaded, but it will be a problem if I expand anymore at all.

**edit - spelling is your friend, and, cyclotron7, what is the value of your flame?**

Comment

Nosferum, do you have a save you could post? You know, there have been so many claims of the AI "cheating"... and nobody has ever - as far as I can remember - submitted any proof... That's why cyclotron7 commented in a rather dismissive way...

If I were you, I would attach a savegame to the very first post. The discussion could be more constructive then... actually, you can still do that. Show us, you may be the very first on Poly to catch the AI REALLY cheating...

Comment

---I guess it depends largely on how you define cheating. At least at the harder levels of difficulty you can see that both Civ II and Civ III (haven't played the original in too long to remember) the enemy AI grows it's civilization in your direction every time. It was most noticeable in Civ II where you could trade maps as soon as you met a Civ and see that their path of exploration went from their capitol strait to your's. =) Inv Civ III it's still obvious, but less so, and doesn't appear to be 100%.

---I'll post a save if you like. I just don't see an need for vitriol.

Comment

Have you considered the possibility that the Indians have Espionage and have planted a spy in your capitol? They could then spread propaganda in a weak city and cause it to flip.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosferum
              ---I guess it depends largely on how you define cheating. At least at the harder levels of difficulty you can see that both Civ II and Civ III (haven't played the original in too long to remember) the enemy AI grows it's civilization in your direction every time. It was most noticeable in Civ II where you could trade maps as soon as you met a Civ and see that their path of exploration went from their capitol strait to your's. =) Inv Civ III it's still obvious, but less so, and doesn't appear to be 100%.

OK, but now you are talking about something different. It has been confirmed that the AI "cheats" by knowing certain geography features, which may relate to the fact that you seem to find the AI often spread in your direction...

However, your first post was about disappearing resources and a flip that looked like cheating...

Comment

Untill the city has full control of all twenty-one of its tiles culture flipping is possible EVEN when you don't have any foreign citizens. Rare but possible. You needed to rush a temple and then a library. As quick as possible. Plus considering Ghandi's typical building patterns its possible that India had greater overall culture than you which is a major factor, more important than how close the capitol is.

Thats a lot of iron to deplete. Uranium is much worse at depletion. It depletes so often I sometimes only connect one of them by road at a time and might keep a worker or two right on one uranium tile ready to build a road as soon as the active one depletes.

The BEST way to keep your resources is to have a LOT of territory. That way you improve your odds of having the new resource show up in your territory. Allways when a tile depletes some other tile gets the resource. Sometimes even the same tile although I have only seen that once.

I once had my only source of oil cross from my side of the border to the Greek side of the border two tiles away. Well I had been looking for an excuse to wipe them out anyway. Neccessity is a great excuse.

Comment

Well, you know, you should be expanding in the direction of their borders too.
                  Rhett Monroe Chassereau

"I use to be with it, then they changed what it is. And what I'm with isn't it, and what is it seems strange and scary to me." -Abe Simpson

Comment

Aethelred the Ready, aye? =)

---While it is *possible* that Ghandi had a higher overall culture than I did, it seems unlikely. I'll check tonight, though. I believe he has 2 Great Wonders to my 3, but there's a lot more involved. I did speed-build a temple and library-- disbanded obsolete units in the city like a big trash can.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormwood
                      Well, you know, you should be expanding in the direction of their borders too.
                      ---I try to, but only when I find them. The computer doesn't have to find me to know where I am. =) I generally aim my growth for luxuries and resources, and in a big circle. My concern for growing in their direction is probably my second concern.

Comment

Aethelred the Ready, aye? =)
                        Mere coincindence of names. The full name is Ethelred ban Hangyvezenyl AKA the Armourer . I created a character for a play by mail Diplomacy variant called Slobovia to go with one of my brother's characters that he took over from someone else. I wasn't thinking of Ethelred the Unready at the time. I have been using it for decades in games.

Comment

no ai cheat here - just super crappy luck. i've modded my game so that dissapearances of resources are about half as likely. just do not like it.
                          "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

You know, there have been so many claims of the AI "cheating"... and nobody has ever - as far as I can remember - submitted any proof... That's why cyclotron7 commented in a rather dismissive way...
                            Indeed, that could be why. Perhaps the next time you post you could consider that things that don't go your way may not be cheating. Starting a post with "I gather the AI was cheating" while not putting any kind of evidence forward is not an excellent way to prove your point.

Small cities on the borders of other nations, especially newly founded cities, are quite vulnerable to flipping. Good ways to deal with the situation include inducing WLTKD as soon as your city is the proper size, and moving your city farther back from the border (even if it cramps your city grid) as to reduce the amount of opponent tiles in your city radius.
                            Lime roots and treachery!
                            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Still waiting for the save game...

Comment

Working...
                              X