Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I gather the AI was cheating on this one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I gather the AI was cheating on this one.

---I like to play on land-heavy continents, on Monarch level. My palace was near the center of this continent, with my civilization grown around it relatively circular. To the East was the Indian civilization, with it's capitol. To the West were the Japanese, which the Indians were destroying. The Indians were crossing my entire civilization to get to the Japanese, which I allowed because it opened new space for me to grow. As the Indians took cities, it reduced each city's cultural radius to 1, making pockets of room all around. A three square-wide pocket opened up, with an Iron resource in it.

---I was making Infantry at the time, and had already had ALL THREE of my Iron resources run dry on me ! In NEEDED that iron ! I plop a city right next to it and another city on the far side of the recently-captured Japanese town, so that my influence would take over the town and I could disband it.

---Both cities had grown their influence out-- one 2 spaces, the other 3, while the enemy occupied city remained at 1 square radius. Then, out of the blue, one of my cities was flipped-- the one with the iron.

!!!

What exactly did you need iron for? By that point you sohuld be worrying about oil and rubber.
    Rhett Monroe Chassereau

"I use to be with it, then they changed what it is. And what I'm with isn't it, and what is it seems strange and scary to me." -Abe Simpson

Comment

---Railroads, both for forward expansion into enemy territory and for railroad repair.

Comment

Iron is usually helpful when trying to build railroads.
        Wadsworth: Professor Plum, you were once a professor of psychiatry specializing in helping paranoid and homicidal lunatics suffering from delusions of grandeur.
        Professor Plum: Yes, but now I work for the United Nations.
        Wadsworth: Well your work has not changed.

Comment

I felt exactly the same when one of my city (size 6, culture raidus 3)flipped to a size 5 city with 1 culture radius. Not saying i was controlling half of the super continent i was playing on.

When the AI cheats, it is sooooooo obvious you want to beat the hell out of your computer

Comment

Originally posted by metalhead
            Iron is usually helpful when trying to build railroads.
            Well, I feel sheepish
            Rhett Monroe Chassereau

"I use to be with it, then they changed what it is. And what I'm with isn't it, and what is it seems strange and scary to me." -Abe Simpson

Comment

Did they have a global cultural advantage (not a local one in the area)? If so, it's not surprising at all because I do it a lot to the AI.
              Seemingly Benign
              Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Bah.

Ever heard of bad luck?
                If you're wondering why I'm not posting at CivFanatics, I received a 3 day ban on September 10th.

Comment

---I own about 80% more land than they do, and my capitol was about 5 spaces closer then their's. Many Civs have 2 or more sources of iron, yet won't trade with me, in spite of my nearly spotless reputation.

---I bulked up my army, so they're a little more reasonable with me, but most have banded together into Mutual Protection pacts. Due to my placement, I can force almost all combat in the world to two medium borders. I'm building walls of Fortresses in anticipation.

Comment

The AI doesn't cheat like that. That's a LOT of bad luck, though, I'll grant you. I rarely have more than 3 resources (of any type) deplete on me per game. In my current one (roughly 1500AD), I've had 1 iron, 1 coal, and 1 oil deplete thus far.

Are you playing a mod? The only reason I ask is that if the resource appearance/disappearance rates have been changed, it might explain what happened with your iron.

As to the flip... do you have a save or screenshot of the situation? What was the overall cultural ratio between them and you? It does sound like very bad luck.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

How much cultural improvements did you put into the city? Was is connected to your capitol, or the other civ's capitol? The amount of cultural difference between the two civs is a factor as well as how much of your city's big 'x' was under the other civ's sphere of influence.

Comment

It is just a bad roll of the dice. I have seen flips that made no sense, but i can't see it as calculated act.

Comment

i dont know about you guys, but all of my recent games, with the latest patch, i noticed that whenever my iron depletes, it appears on the exact same spot! i've had iron deplete maybe 3 games, but everytime it came back to the same spot it was at previously. maybe its just luck, since i havent been playing civ much lately. i was thinking wtf is the point of resource depletion if its gonna appea at the same spot!

Comment

Re: I gather the AI was cheating on this one.

Originally posted by Nosferum
                            ---Both cities had grown their influence out-- one 2 spaces, the other 3, while the enemy occupied city remained at 1 square radius. Then, out of the blue, one of my cities was flipped-- the one with the iron.
                            How many foreign citizens did you have in that city? I usually rush slave worker and slave settler in every other turn to reduce the number of foreign citizens to 1 just to be sure that it won't flip. Some players may starve them to death, that also work too. I just refer creating workers and settler instead.

Comment

People who get frustrated easily by random occurences often cry "cheat" with no reason or evidence behind it. Cities flip, that's how the game works. To assume it is cheating is pathetic.
                              Lime roots and treachery!
                              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Working...
                              X