End game hoard of artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End game hoard of artillery

Im sick of my end games having a bizillion artillery running around.

I think every time units are captured they should have a chance of being destroyed.

I also think Railroads and Art. make home defense way to easy. Every piece of Art. in my nation can pummel an attacker anywhere, instantly. Its too easy. Not sure what could be done about that.

Ghengis Thom

Re: End game hoard of artillery

Originally posted by Ghengis Thom

I think every time units are captured they should have a chance of being destroyed.

I also think Railroads and Art. make home defense way to easy. Every piece of Art. in my nation can pummel an attacker anywhere, instantly. Its too easy. Not sure what could be done about that.

Ghengis Thom
    Why don't you keep what you need and disband the rest?
    It's a quick and easy way to build cultural buildings in
    captured cities.

Comment

Ghengis Thom
      Well you're right on the first part when you're playing warlord style like I do you often find yourself with sooo many units it's very annoying to move them all around and not knowing what to do with them (almost all enemies are more or less down).

The RR factor should stay like it is now as you must have an advantage on your home territory. Think about in history the defender almost all time had an advantage over the attacker concerning territory knowledge and being able to transport troops to the front quickly using the home RR-system this is reflected by Civ III. Also this give a smaller or tech-behind civ the chance of survival against stronger neighbours otherwise they would be just overtaken.
      Dance to Trance

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.

Comment

Although, annoying and tedious to move they come in handy as "occupation forces" for me all the time. You need a lot of unit in order to keep cities from flipping back and that's where I use them among any absolute units that I have sitting around. Gradually, I disband them and build different improvements!

So long...
        Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
        Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
        Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Originally posted by The Pioneer
          Although, annoying and tedious to move they come in handy as "occupation forces" for me all the time. You need a lot of unit in order to keep cities from flipping back and that's where I use them among any absolute units that I have sitting around. Gradually, I disband them and build different improvements!
          Pioneer, the arty does not count as far as the flipping is concerned...

Comment

Re: Re: End game hoard of artillery

Originally posted by Galvatron

The RR factor should stay like it is now as you must have an advantage on your home territory. Think about in history the defender almost all time had an advantage over the attacker concerning territory knowledge and being able to transport troops to the front quickly using the home RR-system this is reflected by Civ III. Also this give a smaller or tech-behind civ the chance of survival against stronger neighbours otherwise they would be just overtaken.
            That was one thing I liked in CTP2.
            You had the RR-System letting you move 5 Tiles per MP so they were just better Roads.
            Implemented into Civ 3 it would still give the Defender a distinct advantage over the attacker, cos they would be able to move even Units with 1 MP over a distance of 5 Tiles regardless of Terrain, whereas even the 2-MP-Units of the Attacker could often be moved just one Tile because of the Terrain.
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Since each artillery is worth 20 shields, why don't you disband them to rush a market/temple?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: End game hoard of artillery

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

That was one thing I liked in CTP2.
                You had the RR-System letting you move 5 Tiles per MP so they were just better Roads.
                Implemented into Civ 3 it would still give the Defender a distinct advantage over the attacker, cos they would be able to move even Units with 1 MP over a distance of 5 Tiles regardless of Terrain, whereas even the 2-MP-Units of the Attacker could often be moved just one Tile because of the Terrain.
                It would also force you to think in terms of regional defense forces, instead of clustering all your forces into one area and sending them out as needed. It would just add a little more strategy to it all.
                Rhett Monroe Chassereau

"I use to be with it, then they changed what it is. And what I'm with isn't it, and what is it seems strange and scary to me." -Abe Simpson

Comment

---Agreed. It was the original Civ Net that changed Railroads to be multiples of 10, rather than unlimited (caused problems in multiplayer games). The single-player versions, though, stick to the unlimited distance. I think tonight, I'll fidget with the editor and reduce it to a multiple of 5 or 6, to put a little life back in the later game. It's just too easy to sling around 50 Artillery from one side of the continent to another and instantly turn any attacker to pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosferum
                    I think tonight, I'll fidget with the editor and reduce it to a multiple of 5 or 6, to put a little life back in the later game.
                    Good luck! That's been hardcoded and can't be changed. In fact there's nothing you can alter regarding railroads except for having a 0 commerce bonus. This will prevent the construction of a road, which will prevent the building of a railroad. That's all you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by vondrack

Pioneer, the arty does not count as far as the flipping is concerned...
                      What? Why has that fact escaped my attention? After all I rarely had a city flip back and I thought that Arty was the reason!

So long...
                      Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                      Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                      Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Originally posted by The Pioneer
                        What? Why has that fact escaped my attention? After all I rarely had a city flip back and I thought that Arty was the reason!
                        Nope, I think it's something else... in another thread, you mentioned you modded your artillery to have a non-zero defense... I guess it makes them count then. Zero-defense units do not count, AFAIK... I did not know you were talking about a modded arty. But the vanilla version artillery can't be used as a military police, that's for sure.

Comment

Back OT:

Disband in captured cities... depending on your traits, you can get cultural buildings built in the turn of capture, thus dramatically reducing the chance of a flip.

Combine this with commie poprushing (if religious), and you can drive down foreign pop and rushbuild temples, marketplaces, and courthouses in no time.
                          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                            Back OT:

Disband in captured cities... depending on your traits, you can get cultural buildings built in the turn of capture, thus dramatically reducing the chance of a flip.

Combine this with commie poprushing (if religious), and you can drive down foreign pop and rushbuild temples, marketplaces, and courthouses in no time.
                            These are good ideas. But Im not saying I cant figure out what to do with them all. Once I have railroads then any number are useful.
                            Im saying since they never go away through the ages that I have so many that the game becomes easy.

And its not a matter of Difficulty level. Once I hit railroad general know whether Im winning or not. I would like the end game to mantain some challenge and I think Art. is a big part of why its so easy.

CptBlood

Comment

And its not a matter of Difficulty level. Once I hit railroad general know whether Im winning or not. I would like the end game to mantain some challenge and I think Art. is a big part of why its so easy.
                              That's rather ironic, since I've seen a lot of players comment on how useless they thought Artillery was. There's been a number of discussions about that, especially by those wanting lethal bombardment.

Comment

Working...
                              X