how could you steal a city ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miccofl
    Sorry, the save files are digital toast. BUT I did take some screenshots right before I flipped the French, capitol and all. When you see the pics you'll know why it worked. http://www.miccofl.net/Civ3/Joansglowingpersonality.htm

I'm surprised the skyscrapers are still standing.

I read a thread once about using nukes to clear jungles.
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
      Besides the fact that that was one of the funniest Civ-things I've ever seen, how did it play a part in CFing a capitol?
      Large cities of a well developed civ cannot usually be flipped; however, if you bombard or nuke the population down, say to 3 or 4, they can generally be flipped quite easily if you have a very high culture level and a bunch of spare gold - even capitols.

After those screenshots were taken I started flipping cities starting at the bottom of the list (under initiate propaganda.) When I got down to just the capitol, it was surrounded and its' population was two. It flipped on the 6th or 7th try. I had about 90,000 culture points.

While flipping capitols is the exception rather than the rule, given the proper circumstances, it can be done. In my latest game I have taken up the habit of spying on all troop movements (I have a nice big world war going on) and waiting for cities to be conquered. I then flip the vanquished city over to my side.

Comment

I'm a dedicated culture flipper, but I've never come close to anything like this. Never. Not even close. I couldn't even imagine that something like this (CFing a capitol) is possible!!

miccofl, you're my God!

Please tell me:
        1. When you initiate propaganda to take a city, do you make all your attempts on the same turn, or on consecutive turns or how?
        2. Are your chances better if the city has overlapping tiles or it's close to your borders ?
        3. Are there any "secret ingredients" to this strategy (I mean other than what you've already written) ?
        "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
        --George Bernard Shaw
        A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
        --Woody Allen

Comment

how do you use propoganda

Comment

No, unfortunately even with 50 GB of hard drive I still subscribe to the outdated notion of "drivespace conservation." I'm getting better though...
            If you have a CD burner, just burn all the savegames into a CD. CDR/CDRW disc is dirt cheap nowadays. I normally get a spindle of 50 for $1.00 or free (after rebate, ofcourse).

Comment

Originally posted by Moonsinger

If you have a CD burner, just burn all the savegames into a CD. CDR/CDRW disc is dirt cheap nowadays. I normally get a spindle of 50 for $1.00 or free (after rebate, ofcourse).
              Better yet, use that DirectCD thing so you can use CDRW discs like a floppy. 533MB I think it is formatted. To heck with Zip disks this is better.
              I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Sorry, the save files are digital toast. BUT I did take some screenshots right before I flipped the French, capitol and all. When you see the pics you'll know why it worked. http://www.miccofl.net/Civ3/Joansglowingpersonality.htm
                Ouch! I also liked your later comment about only using "the minimum number to do the job"!

Please do tell us more.
                Diderot was right!
                Our weapons are backed with UNCLEAR WORDS!
                Please don't go, the drones need you.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
                  Better yet, use that DirectCD thing so you can use CDRW discs like a floppy.
                  Yup, I do that alot. If I have less than 10 Megs, I probably write to CDRW disc; otherwise, I will write them to CDR disc so that I have a complete history of all my projects, savegames or whatever permanently. The bottom line, like you said: it works just like the floppy.

Comment

Originally posted by the letter c
                    Select the capitol you want to target and click on it. A popup comes up and you can choose it from the list. Note that you can not use it on a civ that is Democratic.
                    Last edited by vmxa1; September 10, 2002, 16:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonsinger

Yup, I do that alot. If I have less than 10 Megs, I probably write to CDRW disc; otherwise, I will write them to CDR disc so that I have a complete history of all my projects, savegames or whatever permanently. The bottom line, like you said: it works just like the floppy.
                      CDRs are good for backing up downloaded files. I keep my CDRW in the drive as a third HD, I know I should but oh well.

Originally posted by the letter c
                      Do what vmxa1 said, but I would like to point FYI, that the easy way to check what civ has what government, goto the military advisor's screen.

Comment

I do not bother with Spying, an like Thrawn5 said the advisors knows how many units and what they have. If you want to know where there are, then you must spy.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                          I do not bother with Spying, an like Thrawn5 said the advisors knows how many units and what they have. If you want to know where there are, then you must spy.
                          To clarify this a bit... the Military Advisor will tell you nothing about the other AI's military until you set up an embassy. Then, it will tell you the relative strength of your army compared to that of the AI civ. If you want to know (exactly) what units your opponent has, you need to have a spy planted with the AI civ. If you want to know the positions of the enemy troops, you will have to spy and steal the military plans...

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05

Better yet, use that DirectCD thing so you can use CDRW discs like a floppy. 533MB I think it is formatted. To heck with Zip disks this is better.
                            DirectCD is a pain. Everytime you insert any kind of CD, regardless of whether it's a RW, it will pop up, and sometimes screw up the auto play. I've had my system crash because of that. I guess it created a conflict that Win 98, my OS at the time, couldn't deal with.

Comment

Thanks vondrack, I should have made that clear. Sometimes I assume to things are in evidence, when they may not be. If you have made all the embassies and put spies in your get the unit data. A seperate spy mission is required to know more details as to location.

Comment

Quotes originally posted by: Tiberius
                                I'm a dedicated culture flipper, but I've never come close to anything like this. Never. Not even close. I couldn't even imagine that something like this (CFing a capitol) is possible!!
                                It is indeed possible, unlikely but possible. It’s an odd chance – you try to flip it until you succeed or it becomes economically unviable to do so, and then it’s time to move in the troops. I have failed to flip a capitol far more times than I have succeeded, but I will still spend the 100 or 200K if I have it.

miccofl, you're my God!
                                Stop it! No man is a god, or ever will be, I have just explored this possibility more than most have tried, I persisted when I should have folded, or to put it into Medieval Times: I would tilt when I should withdraw. I will attempt to flip when I probably should have spent that 200K gold somewhere else.

1. When you initiate propaganda to take a city, do you make all your attempts on the same turn, or on consecutive turns or how?
                                Both, either or the initial try, it depends on the situation.

2. Are your chances better if the city has overlapping tiles or it's close to your borders?
                                Well your chances are always better when you have a touching or overlapping city. If you are intent on flipping a civ you should pick the weakest spot, flip it and then either surround the civ by taking its’ perimeter cities or work in a U type pattern, (for flipping - your battle tactics are your own concern.)

3. Are there any "secret ingredients" to this strategy (I mean other than what you've already written)?
                                Production, Science, Culture, Military, and then Everything else – does that make sense? Find the weakest cities, flip them, build them up and flip the neighbors. For those of you still playing "The Sims," it works there too.

Comment

Working...
                                X