Whats up with the culture swaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats up with the culture swaps?

I dont think I understand the culture thing. Am I suppose to build lots of pretty culture improvements and hope they conquer my nieghbors. Ive had times where my cities abadon me.

Whats the best building routine for good culture?

Re: Whats up with the culture swaps?

Originally posted by LaurenX2C
    I dont think I understand the culture thing. Am I suppose to build lots of pretty culture improvements and hope they conquer my nieghbors. Ive had times where my cities abadon me.

Whats the best building routine for good culture?
    Lauren, check the following thread - you should find what you are looking for there:

Briefly: for your own cities, you do not want to have any one of the tiles in their 21-tile radius controlled by an AI civ. You need to "generate" some culture in your cities to expand/maintain your borders. You do that by building Temples, Libraries, and other culture generating improvements. Your first city starts off with a free Palace, which is the very first culture generating improvement in the game, adding 1 culture point every turn - that's why your borders expand 10 turns after you found your first city. However, for other cities, you have to actually build something that will generate culture/expand borders - usually, you start with a Temple or Library.

For more info, see the above-mentioned thread.

EDIT: added a paragraph, corrected a typo
    Last edited by vondrack; September 9, 2002, 10:15.

Comment

Firaxis has said that this will be optional in the expansion, but I like it. It usually helps me win.
      Seemingly Benign
      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
        Firaxis has said that this will be optional in the expansion, but I like it. It usually helps me win.

Can't you just uncheck culture win? Or is this somthing new, a "city can't flip" option?
        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Something new. No culture flips option. See, Coracle, they do listen.
          Seemingly Benign
          Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

theres a tick box on one of the screenshots in the ptw forum, thrawn

in fact theres a lot of tickboxes

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
              Something new. No culture flips option. See, Coracle, they do listen.
              hmm, I think it's a question of getting eugh bored somewhat
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Flight
                theres a tick box on one of the screenshots in the ptw forum, thrawn

in fact theres a lot of tickboxes

I don't go to the forums anymore, but thanks for the input.
                I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Actually... I like culture flipping. I like to leave some gaps in my 'kingdom'. Then some stupid civ will place cities on those gaps. Needless to say that I have a lot of cultural influence in the neighbouring cities. After some undetermined time - voila - free cities for me.

... at least on easier levels...
                  I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

flipping shouldn't be whole cities. it should be POPULATION points moving across the border to enemy cities. A size 11 city with the hanging gardens should NEVER flip, no matter what the case*.

The cities revolting back to old civs, that's acceptable (and realistic) in my opion. A bit overpowered (i usually end up putting 10- units in it and starve it to a 3), but realistic.

*in case you're unfamiliar with this: check it.

"I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Woot is the best way to put it. Definitely!
                      I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Why on earth would a size 11 city with the Hanging Gardens flip to those size 2 cities? A size 11 with a wonder should have some decent culture by now.

Comment

Its a Zulu city thats why. The Zulus most likely had only recently finished the Wonder and its equally likely that it was the only culture producer in the city. Zulus are about the most culturaly backward civ in the game and the total culture of a civ is important as well. Since the Zulus had failed to control four of Ulundi's twenty-one tiles there is a flip check on each of those tiles every turn.

Comment

Working...
                          X