This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Quasar1011
    You sure that aircraft carrier is modern? Looks like it was made out of wood, and was built by the Phoenicians or somebody!
    At the start of WWII many capitol ships in the USN had teak decking. This was removed after a few fires in WWII.
    Anyway what do you mean by modern? By most definitions any aircraft carier is modern as none existed in the prior to dreadnoughts. Dreadnoughts were in action in WWI.

Comment

• Originally posted by panag
      hi ,
      where does it say its modern , .....
      The part where you say
      WWII era aircraft carrier
      . In real life, WWII is modern era. It's not industrial era or ancient era, now is it? Of course, Civ 3 has carriers appearing in the industrial era... but it also allows me to build carriers before I discover flight, so this doesn't make a lot of sense. Anyway, IRL I daresay the modern era of world history began with WWII.

Originally posted by vmxa1
      At the start of WWII many capitol ships in the USN had teak decking. This was removed after a few fires in WWII.
      Anyway what do you mean by modern? By most definitions any aircraft carier is modern as none existed in the prior to dreadnoughts. Dreadnoughts were in action in WWI.
      That was my point: aircraft carriers are modern. This one just doesn't look modern. It looks like Hiram, King of Tyre, used the cedars of Lebanon on its flight deck
      Last edited by Quasar1011; July 10, 2003, 23:36.
      My words are backed by... Hey! Who stole my uranium??!!!

Comment

• Quasar1011, take a look at Japanese WW2 carriers and you'll find they are actually like the one in the civ pic , plus, no WW2 carrier, neither japanese, british or US looked like modern carriers. steam catapults and angled-deck were all post-war inventions.

Also, many people also argue that WW2 signaled the end of the industrial era due to the advent of the atomic bomb as well as other technologies which have shaped the modern life, mostly the jet engine, the transistor, etc. which were discovered at the end or shortly after WW2.

WW2 also marked the end of the Eurocentric political dominance of the world, and the inorexable decline of colonialism, two events which are hallmarks of the modern age.

So, i'd say there are very good grounds to consider WW2 the end of the industrial era and Civ3 fits that timeframe quite well.
        Last edited by Master Zen; July 11, 2003, 01:20.
        A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

• Looks like it's about time for a new forum ....
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by vmxa1

hi ,

so was the worlds first aircraft carrier , ......

and naval airforces , by 1940 several nations had them , most thanks to the washington treaty , many nations started to change ships like huge battleships into carriers , ....

most other has naval seaships that could work alongside the ships , and the germans went further , they had the first heli , actually a glorified gyro to work from subs , .....

and in a way the carrier is modern actually it was its time far ahead , and shall do so even for the next years , with a few modifications like a nuclear reactor , catapults ( they are now looking into magnetic ones ) and an angled deck and glorified mirror with lamps , the carrier has become a magnificent weapons platform

have a nice day
            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Okay, fair enough; I didn't know about the teak decking!

I can see how it can be argued that WWII ended the industrial era. I'd still say more historians consider it to be the beginning of the modern era.

But, to get us back on topic...

Comment

• I think he has to adjust his slider after this deal!

How can he afford this?
                Attached Files

Comment

• Re: I think he has to adjust his slider after this deal!

Originally posted by Quasar1011
                  How can he afford this?
                  hi ,

from deals with other civs , from selling buildings , from a tech that he sells , ...... etc ......

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Yes you could come up with a means to pay out quite a bit if you had to.

Comment

• Yes. but in this game, it's practically me and Germany against the world. I don't see what deals Bismarck can make, except that he has 1 spice in Germany + a spice colony.

In this same game, I am at war with Iroquois and Persia.
                      I attack to the south, and what do I find? The Egyptians are building a railroad through Iroquois territory! I am wondering: to where? And, is Hiawatha paying the Egyptians to contruct this railroad?

I plan to find out. I have not yet attcked that big yellow patch to my southwest... but soon...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• About that ship in the screenshot you were all discussing earlier - yes that IS an aircraft carrier. It's the aircraft carriers the Imperial Japanese navy used in WWII. I'm not sure what the name of the class of the ship is, but believe it was called the "Hiryu". Of course, that could just be the name of one of the ships...
                        "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
                        but when there has been naming
                        we should also know when to stop.
                        Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

• Quasar1011 what is the patch level and is PTW? I use to see a few times where my workers would build their way through foreign lands. This was before I learn not to automate workers. So it is not impossibe. They seem to continue on a project until done if it was started and then the land is no longer theirs or open. You can see it when you capture a city and the workers are outside of the town, but in the border. They often finish the job and then move on.
                          As to the gpt deal, well I had one today where one civ had zero money on hand and when I offered him a hot tech, he came up with 89 gpt.
                          You move workers from farming tiles to mines, you switch some cities from building something to wealth. You move the research slider down or the lux slider and so on. You can come up with a lot of gold.

Comment

• Originally posted by Azeem
                            About that ship in the screenshot you were all discussing earlier - yes that IS an aircraft carrier. It's the aircraft carriers the Imperial Japanese navy used in WWII. I'm not sure what the name of the class of the ship is, but believe it was called the "Hiryu". Of course, that could just be the name of one of the ships...
                            hi ,

it could indeed be that its the hiryu , but it could also be a pre war us carrier , .....

i shall blow it up and compare it with pics in a huge database and see what comes out of it , ....

have a nice day

Comment

• hi ,

it cant be the Hiryu from the soryu class , its to long in the picture , .....

possibly a saipan or independence class from the US , ....

it remains unclear at this stage , .....

however if one looks at the east wind rain scen pic more closer you shall see that in the little unit box the picture is that of a modern carrier

lets hope Firaxis sees this before they release the game , ...... (!)

the island of honolulu and hilo are a bit to small , the rest of the scan screenshot seems to bein order , now lets hopê they put more units in it , like ALL the japanese and US carriers

have a nice day

Comment

• Hopefully that pic is just a placeholder. The game is still in development.

By the way, Panag, you're right, it's not a Soryu Class Aircraft Carrier. But it does look more like the Taiyo or Ryujo Class.
                                Last edited by Azeem; July 13, 2003, 16:04.
                                "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
                                but when there has been naming
                                we should also know when to stop.
                                Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

Working...
                                X