Life After Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life After Death

As I had once said in another thread, when a civ is conquered in Civ II it is gone for good. In SMAC, when a faction is conquered than their cities retain the style of the conquered for 50 turns which is stupid. I think that in Civ III when you are conquered you can have an option to keep running your last cities to be conquered as a governer type of person. You can slowly build up a secret military when the civ that conquered you doesn't use the production from a city under your control. You can divert money from the coffers to supliment your annual "pay". To do this you have to suck up to people you can work your ways up the ranks to becoming a extreamly powerful official who can call on the military power from an entire region (please include these Firaxis!) to revolt aganst your king. The ranks would be something like this:

Mayor-You control one city (former capital). If you disobey your orders once than you are killed and your game ends. Your pay is 10 gold every other turn. You stay a mayor for 20 turns.

Local Governer-You control 2 cities. You may disobey your orders once and get a 50% cut in pay for 10 turns. The next time you die. Your pay is 20 gold every other turn. You stay a Local Governer for 15 turns.

After you are a Local Governer you can chose one of two paths to follow. You can be a Colonial Governer or a Regional Governer. If you chose Colonial Governer than you are in control of half of the overseas cities owned by the civ. If you chose Regional Governer that you are in control of one third of the cities on the home continent. The following is the colony path:

Colonial Governer-You control half of all colonies. You can disobey 2 times without penalty before the discovery of steam. (Info travels slowly) After that you can only disobey once without penalty. After the last free lie you can disobey and lose your pay for 5 turns. The next time you are demoted to a Mayor with no pay until you become a Local Governer. The next time you die. Your pay is 40 gold a turn. You stay at this level for 25 turns. This is the lowest level in which you can revolt and break away from the mother country and form your own country. Your only armed forces at the start are your secret army and a milita/partisan unit from each city under your command. You can build new units though. If you fail your game ends.

Colonial Magistrate-You control all colonies. You can disobey orders 3 times without penalty. after that you are demoted to Local Governer, then to Mayor, then death. Your pay is 70 gold a turn. This is as high as you can go.

This is if you follow the mainland way:

Regional Governer-You control 1/3 of all cities on the home continent. You can disobey orders once without penalty. Then you lose your pay for 5 turns. Then you are demoted to Mayor with no pay. Then you die. You cannot revolt because you are too close to the ruler. Your pay is 50 gold a turn.

Regional Magistrate-You control half of the main cities or your former empire. You can disobey orders 2 times without penalty. after that it is the same as the Colonial Magistrate. Your pay is 100 gold a turn. This is when you can break away from the mother country. This is as high as you can go here.

You use your money for three things. One, to buy your secret army. Two, to make whatever your ruler wants and still build a unit and three, to pay off your superior so you can disobey your ruler without penalty.

Please revise this and make suggestions.

------------------
    "Adorare Christantine!!!"
    Republican Decree #1
    "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
    "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
    "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

If my Civ become conquered, I'll simply start a new game

Where I can understand the need of a rule to restore AI factions from cinder, what's the point of some overcomplicated rules to save my "back" if I made a bad game?

Christantin, that's not real life, we can lose without harm, can't we?

------------------
    Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Christantine:

Maybe I am just a little slow here but would your idea really add some good things to the game? I mean I would have to agree with Admiral, You can just start over . I think that such random tinkering with the game mechanisms is not going to add anything significant in terms of playability, but might succeed in complicating matters to a point where no one will really be able to play the game due to the huge amount of different rules.

------------------
      Napoleon I
      Napoleon I

Comment

Fine. Forget it but I want to tell a little story. I started an empire on the world map in Europe and I grew large but not large enough and was conquered. I managed to escape to Austrailia with some men. I survived there for a little while until some idiot made the Apollo Program and found me. If I had run away a little earlier I would have been prepared for what would happen next. I managed to get to Madigascar before all of my cities were conquered and survived there until 2250. I had left Europe in 1100. My point is that you are not always doomed if your base of your Civ is captured.

Back on topic...

I guess the idea s**ks so don't bother posting anymore everybody.

------------------
        Republican Decree #1
        "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
        "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)

Comment

Christantine, I really did not mean to be so negative. Based on your post I think that you might have taken some of the criticisms too much to heart. In that case I offer my apologies All I wanted to do is start up some meaningful discussion of the merits of your idea.

*Napoleon I gets up, walks over to Christantine, tries to shake his hand. Christantine gets up smacks Napoleon in the face*
          So much for reconciliation

------------------
          Napoleon I
          Napoleon I

Comment

nope. Not a good idea. Too confusing.
            Das Wasser soll dein Spiegel sein
            Erst wenn es glatt ist, wirst du sehen
            Wieviel Märchen dir noch bleibt
            und um Erlösung wirst du flehen.

The water shall be your mirror
            Only when it's smooth you will see
            How much fairy-tale is left for you
            And you will beg for deliverance.

'Alter Mann', RAMMSTEIN.

Comment

Forget it Napoleon, I don't mind.

quote:

*Napoleon I gets up, walks over to Christantine, tries to shake his hand. Christantine gets up smacks Napoleon in the face*

Nah. But since Comrad's post is should go something like this...

*Napoleon I gets up, walks over to Christantine, tries to shake his hand. Christantine gets up and throws the chair at Comrad Dan*

Just kiddin'

------------------
              Republican Decree #1

Comment

I'm glad you're cool with it Christantine. Keep them good ideas rolling.

Reconciliation complete

------------------
                Napoleon I
                Napoleon I

Comment

Are you guys kidding??!!??!?

This is a GREAT idea!

Perhabs not so much for yourself, but particularly for the other civs. Nationalism would be a fantastic addition to Civ3. I think that when you conquor another civ's cities then these cities should remain loyal to that civ, and they would want to break away. After a few turns with peace with the other civ (or after it's annihilation) these cities will accept that they are now a part of your empire. But the wish for independance would still be there. And if your civ was at one point weakened, for instance because of a large war, they could rise against you and cause huge problems.

Adding this would introduce a whole new, and as far as I'm concerned required dimension to the game. It shouldn't be possible to just conquor the entire world and keep it without problems. your civ should have a large possibility of simply breaking apart, if you have just conquored lots of other civs without thought.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
                  "It is not enough to be alive. Sunshine, freedom and a little flower you have got to have."
                  - Hans Christian Andersen

GGS Website

Comment

Christantine:

I think it's a pretty good idea too but it's just a smidge too complex. If you simplafied it a little (not so many levels) it would be pretty good. and would add a whole new dimension to the game.

The Joker:

I just don't think that your civ should only rebel when you weak but also when you are neglecting them, or doing stuff they don't like. I also think that civs should be able to merge together. Like Canada and the USA now. They are considered one country by many people in the world and in Civ 3 this show also be able to happen. As well as new Civs breaking away from you that are in colonies but this would have to be done through a province system.
                    Anyway, that's all for now.

------------------
                    "I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
                    "If the great Emperors of Rome, Egypt and Greece were alive today, do you think they would prefer Coke or Pepsi?"
                    I AM CANADIAN!
                    Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
                    CornEmpire Owner/Operator
                    Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

yep I agree with the joker . it is a good idea . but i thought more of the direction of the place where does the waste go .

sure you see it as waste but actually these are resourses for an army of partisans
                      ( no not the ones that cost 50 shields ! )

gold and shields are accumulated for a matter of turns and then cheap partisans attack . they will get an attack bonus and will have saboteur capabilities .

Regarding all the resistance movements it will only be fair !

------------------
                      Prepare to Land !
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

CornMaster

I really don't see any levels to take away without taking away too much (Well...maybe Mayor).

------------------
                        Republican Decree #1

Comment

The idea is GREAT!! It could also add to a second version of the civ. game. I mean, there's the empire game, then the rebellion game. Though if you lost your civ. it would become a rebellion game. That would be awesome, starting as either is a good addition for the idea. Again, your Idea is GREAT! I'm sorry, but my Psy. powers won't show you the future,(I am a Mew after all. And Mews have Psychic powers...) but I hope this is included in Civ 3...or it could become an entire game itself!

Comment

Civmew, you wrote
                            quote:

It could also add to a second version of the civ. game. I mean, there's the empire game, then the rebellion game.

How many games do you think Firaxis can write and debug at the same time? Or, more important, how much $ do you think they will charge for the boundle

Sometimes I think we are so falled in love for Civ that we would like every games become to be in and named Civ

Folks, there are more good games as CIV is, in different genre than TBS!

Next time someone will start wondering of a car race game as GP3 as a City improvement to add to Civ III

BTW, I saw your last statement
                            quote:

... it could become an entire game itself

I'm just kidding a bit

------------------
                            Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I don't think I'd like to be a mayor for a couple hundred years..

But this idea could apply to conquered AI leaders.. Perhaps after you conquer them you could choose to execute him or use him in your administration. He could have some special administrative qualities and would benefit you somehow.. If he didn't rebel, that is..

------------------
                              Get paid for every second you spend online at http://referral.jotter.com/join/bulk
                              Refer people (like what I'm doing) to earn even more. $50 a month is not uncommon.

-Shiva
                              Email: shiva@shivamail.com
                              Web: http://www.shivamail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X