No announcement yet.

Diplomacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the most annoying things in civ2 is when two of your allys wage war right in the middle of your empire. I think that there should be an option to prevent this. First of all an ally should not be allowed to wage war within your territory agianst any other civ than those you wage war with. There should be possible to limit how many foreign units u allow within your border or within certian regions.
    stuff

Comment

I agree Diplomacy needs to have a major overhaul, it is very under used, it the real world it is like a soft war of words in Civ this was never relised.

------------------
      I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
      I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

STUFF II

They could add a 'restriction' coding that wars cannot be fought in your territory, which would be determined in the same way as Alpha Centauri.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

The reason why everyone resorts to war in the Civs is because that is the only way to win...or at least its the only tool. If Firaxis was to add a few more tools that were not armies, then people would use the diplomacy more...

Comment

Diplomacy was lacking in Civ II, but it was much improved in SMAC. I have some Ideas on how it could be further improved though...

1. After The UN is researched ( or created) you can build a "coalition". Let's say Elbonia (yes, 'Dilbert') invades pagong, which has a bunch of oil resources in it's squares. The UN can form a coalition, and it can elect a country to lead it to drive out Elbonia. The units that don't belong to you return to the original civs at the end of the war, or when Elbonia is completely destroyed.

2. Borders. They need to be fixed by the Industrial age. They can only be expanded by negotiation, unclaimed land, or by attacking another country with no less than 2/3 the approval of other countries. Until the other nations ( or home nation) aknowledges it, anything from sanctions to wars will be aimed againest you.

------------------
            "You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you"
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Lonestar on 08-10-2000 10:28 PM
              2. Borders. They need to be fixed by the Industrial age.

Borders are a lot older than that. Medieval for existance, rennaisance for sanctity.
              "The free market is ugly and stupid, like going to the mall; the unfree market is just as ugly and just as stupid, except there is nothing in the mall and if you don't go there they shoot you." - P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Lonestar, about your
                quote:

The UN can form a coalition, and it can elect a country to lead it to drive out Elbonia. The units that don't belong to you return to the original civs at the end of the war, or when Elbonia is completely destroyed.

I'm not sure I wouldl like to watch in horror bad AI leading to a massacre my expensive units of the "coalition army"

With decent AI your proposal will be very good; until then will be better If only a human player can be the leader (MP games can manage it by some sort of election).

edited to remove some mistake, probably adding more on the process...
                ------------------
                Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                [This message has been edited by Adm.Naismith (edited August 11, 2000).]
                "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Of course the AI should only be able to control as many units as you put up for the "coalition". After all, did the US put up its entire military in Bosnia or Somalia?
                  *grumbles about work*

Comment

About borders, Instead of only discovering them when encountering a civs leaders as in SMAC, you should know about them when you enter the territory, for, agricultural citizens would tell the oncoming forces about the borders.
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I know, which is why I said BY the industrial age.
                      Obviously the whole singleplayer coalition thingamabob hinges on good AI....But I see no reason for it not being in Multiplayer.

------------------
                      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

People would know their borders in the stone or even bronze ages.
                        Examples
                        -Greeks
                        -Babylonians
                        -etc.
                        -->Visit CGN!

Comment

'Fraid I have to disagree with you there Darkcloud, For the Greek City-states there weren't any offical borders, just "accepted" ones.

For the Babylonians, all you have to do is Look at NechubanezzersII's signature "Ruler of all the land between the seas...". Clearly, not what you'd call official, I think

------------------

Comment

ShadowStrike, I mean that during coalition war, forces are usually under the main control of the biggest of the parties (USA, usually, since WWII) for strategical decisions.

That said, any commander usually can keep tactical control of own troops, just to avoid bad use of them (read, use them as bloody meat for suicide attack).

SMAC system can be extended: when planning a joint attack to an enemy city you can propose a different target (quite smarting, the AI usually accept your proposal ).
                            With a "point and click" you should be able to define any square on the map as the attack target. If you point on units on a map square, you can specify if your target is that square conquest, that square pillage (if enhanced) or the search and destroy of the units (useful when you try to intercept enemy scout).

------------------
                            Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I've a small suggestion - people here were talking about UN and donating "peacekeeping" troops.

How about the UN, once established, can call up troops to settle hot-spots of conflict. The troops are donated and once given, belong to a new UN civ that can station troops in any towns/territory/ belonging to any civ who wishes to be a part of the UN. Donating troops helps to increase your reputation and could also be an indirect way of attack an enemy without declaring war and hence losing reputation.

But as was mentioned above, the AI better good to do this well.

------------------
                              No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
                              No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

Lonestar-

What exactly do you mean by 'accepted' is that not relatively the same as 'agreed' or something like the 'agreement' between Yemen and Saudi Arabia today of a blurred border?
                                -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Working...
                                X