Many n00b Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neonext
    a noob is someone who sucks who is just ignorant and complains even though they simply lack skill. a newb is someone who is actually new to the game and is considerate
    Ah, I see, thanks.
    I have figured out the 1337 code, so even if it is difficult to read for me, I can see the words. But that doesn't help me very much most of the time... Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

1337 code is so sad...

btw, what are ppl's ideas for using combat helicopters?
      Up the Irons!
      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
      Odysseus and the March of Time
      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

zulu9812,

I am very interested in combat helicopters, specifically, the AH-64D Apache. In the game, I would think it would be a valuable addition. It would be the bane of the tank (it is, in real life), but it can't "gain territory or cities" like tanks could. The Apache can kill up to 18 tanks and mow down dozens of infantry, but it can do little to hold a city or stuff like that. Though it moves faster than any ground unit (which makes it very valuable), it still can't gain and hold ground.

neonext,

Is that so? I never knew that. I am always polite when I ask things, and don't really complain, but I've been called "n00b"... so I thought...

Comment

im not sure anyone is really aware of the difference between noob and newb when they say it...

Comment

Originally posted by Flight
            im not sure anyone is really aware of the difference between noob and newb when they say it...
            I'm not sure if anyone really cares! This 1337 thing is just ridiculous IMO. Why make it harder to communicate, we already have enough obstacles in that area.

Comment

I agree, Willem... When I see it, I just pass over it. That may be the intention, to create a "clique", or something. Whatever. My Civ3 didn't come with a decoder ring, so who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by candybo
                I agree, Willem... When I see it, I just pass over it. That may be the intention, to create a "clique", or something. Whatever. My Civ3 didn't come with a decoder ring, so who cares?
                I feel sorry for these people really. They've obviously spent alot of time working it out and translating, but no one can be bothered to read what they post. What's the point in even trying?

I already waste more time than I should on this forum.

Comment

Amen, I ignore it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkyrie
                    JohnM2433,
                    thanks for the tips, I usually do that. But I don't really "limit" how far the AI can expand, but I just put cities strategically to "prevent" him from expanding into MY territory.
                    By "MY territory", are you talking about land you've already settled? Building a city within another civ's borders is an act of war (right?) and AI civs will rarely build a city close to yours with much overlap. Not much to worry about there. But if you're referring to land you haven't settled yet but already think of as "yours"... that's basically what I'm talking about, but I place no limit on how much/what land I try to make "mine". I eventually settle as much land as I can, but even if I didn't, denying access to my neighbors would still be an important goal.

Try to build your empire from the outside in; build cities at chokepoints that cut off the AI -- narrow patches of land that would allow the other player to move through to settle huge tracts o' land, but can be easily "plugged". Once you've cut off as much land expansion as you can, work on settling the shoreline -- you don't want the AI settling on "your" coast after they discover Map Making. Settle coast near your opponents first, so as to cut off their ships from sailing through your waters. Finally, fill in all the holes in your empire. If you were successful, you are now large and your neighbors small -- good news for you.

Oh, and if you don't like to place your cities with much overlap, you'll probably also want to build some temples in some of the outlying ones to shore up your borders. You want to keep out the AI as soon as possible.

My own (long-term) REX goals are as follows, in order of importance:
                    1. Aquire at least one source of each strategic resource.
                    2. Aquire at least one source of each available luxury.
                    3. Control as many luxury sources as possible.
                    4. Deny direct access to a luxury to civs that do not already have a source of it.
                    5. Deny direct access to a strategic resource to civs that do not already have a source of it.
                    6. Control as many strategic resource sources as possible.
                    7. Have as many highly productive cities as possible.
                    8. Settle as much productive land as possible.

Generally speaking, it's more important to secure land near my capitol that far away from it, because of lowered corruption/waste. But building a city at a chokepoint far from my capitol may secure land nearby as well as far from it quite well.
                    "God is dead." - Nietzsche
                    "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X