No announcement yet.

Culture freaking flips!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The individual cities culture isn't what's important for flips. It is the total culture of the 2 empires that is compared.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

True, but also the number of tiles that are in your city radius and the more culture the more city tiles!
      It is I Le Clerk! ;-) Quote from Allo allo.

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
        The individual cities culture isn't what's important for flips. It is the total culture of the 2 empires that is compared.
        The individual cities culture is important when the city belonged in the past to other empires.
        Read this:
        3) I didn't even know this, but apparently each city has a "memory" and remembers the total amount of culture generated by any civ who has ever occupied it. This is the 3rd most important factor, because if the "attacking" civ has more historical culture in the city than the "defender", the chance of that city flipping to the attacker are doubled. This is one reason that conquered cities often flip back to their previous owners.
        Last edited by Tiberius; September 6, 2002, 08:30.
        "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
        --George Bernard Shaw
        A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
        --Woody Allen

Comment

This is so true! And before you can build up culture(temple, library, cathedral), you risk of loosing it already....

Comment

So my strategy of immediately building a temple in captured cities is sound.
            Seemingly Benign

Comment

This is why I'm always a big cultural power, thus cities are flipping to me, not vice-versa
              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
              --George Bernard Shaw
              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
              --Woody Allen

Comment

So my strategy of immediately building a temple in captured cities is sound.
                Yes, it is a sound strategy. Actually I'm not only building it, but whenever possible rushing it after a few turns.
                --George Bernard Shaw
                --Woody Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Tiberius

Yes, it is a sound strategy. Actually I'm not only building it, but whenever possible rushing it after a few turns.
                  Hm, unfortunately at this stage I am still a despotism and the size of the city is 1 or 2. So I cannot rush...

Comment

I, too, always strive to be the culture leader.
                    Seemingly Benign

Comment

Originally posted by Lucarse
                      However I don't think i'll be getting out the calculater needed for those formula's. as i said rule of thumb!
                      Nah... you need no calculator. Just have a close look at the formula:

Chance of flip = {[(N + S)*C*H*R] - T}/D

N = number of foreign nationals (resistors count as 2).
                      S = number of 21 city squares under foreign control
                      C = City Culture factor, 2 if foreign civ has generated more culture in this city, otherwise 1
                      H = Happiness factor, 2 for disorder, 1/2 for WLTK day, otherwise 1
                      T= number of garrisoning troops
                      R= national cultures ratio (Foreign civ total culture divided by your civ total culture)
                      D= Capitol distance factor (500 to 8000, 2000 average). Lower if they are closer, higher if you are

To make the chance virtually zero, you need:

1 unit per every foreign citizen
                      2 units per every resisting citizen
                      1 unit per every tile inside the city radius that is under the enemy control

- twice as much if it is a city where you generated less culture than your enemy
                      - yet twice as much if the city is in disorder, twice as less if it is celebrating
                      - proportionally more or less, depending on the ratio between the total culture of your enemy and you.

If you read the formula this way, it is simple...

Comment

I hardly ever..ever have a city of mine flip, it only happens when i take a city during a war.

In this particular game :

I have had cities right next to the egyptians for 100's of years with none flipping either way? until i started taking theirs!

And the romans (3rd largest power) were losing cities to me as fast as they could build them! Rome wasn't built in a turn..but they gave it to me in one! ha ha ha

One more question who is/was Coracle and why are most threads full of people denouncing him/her... was he/she that bad?? a bit of a ranter?
                        If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected - SunTzu

Comment

Wow, on page 2 and no Coracle? I'm concerned.

Luc: Coracle is that mythical guy that always posts in a thread concerning Culture and then rants.

EDIT: BTW, I dind't read anything on the last page, and your already asking who is Coracle. I find that amusing.
                          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

A ranter. He actually had a lot of good ideas, but he continuously ranted about culture flipping in nearly every thread. Since he hasn't appeared latley I imagine he's been banned for a while.
                            Seemingly Benign

Comment

I hardly ever..ever have a city of mine flip, it only happens when i take a city during a war.

In this particular game :

I have had cities right next to the egyptians for 100's of years with none flipping either way? until i started taking theirs!
                              Well, if you look at the formula, it is easy to figure out why. For a city of yours that has only your native citizens, there is just one thing that can make it flip - having tiles in their city radius controlled by an enemy. If there are no foreign citizens and no tiles under enemy control, there is no way the city could ever flip.

One more question who is/was Coracle and why are most threads full of people denouncing him/her... was he/she that bad?? a bit of a ranter?
                              Ssssssh... do not wake the dragon up...

Coracle is perhaps the most fervent opponent of the culture flipping concept. He truly hates it and used to bash this "bug" (as he calls it) over and over and over and over... ok, you get the idea... until recently. Dunno what happened to him, but I do realize I haven't seen any of his rants in more than several days...

Comment

A ranter. He actually had a lot of good ideas, but he continuously ranted about culture flipping in nearly every thread. Since he hasn't appeared latley I imagine he's been banned for a while.

That's a shame, a Coracle post ususly brightens my Monday Mornings.

On Topic: I don't find culture flipping that much of a problem, but then I never capture a city... I raze and burn.
                                I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Working...
                                X