Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are electronic games really illegal in Greece?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are electronic games really illegal in Greece?

Are electronic games really illegal in Greece? I just saw an article on a news site that seems to be making this case. Can a Greek Civ player confirm this?
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

MSNBC breaking news and the latest news for today. Get daily news from local news reporters and world news updates with live audio & video from our team.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

there are already threads about this in Off-Topic. And this really is off-topic.

Basically (I think) , the Greek government wanted to stop slot amchines and whatnot being used for illegal gambling, but they worded the law so loosely that it bans all electonic equipment/media used for playing games (baring the whole PC) - it even includes mobile 'phones!
      Up the Irons!
      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
      Odysseus and the March of Time
      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

WOW!!! We did the Chinese government invade Greece? JFC!!! (<-Three naughty words when used together.) Well, you Greeks could move here to the U.S. state of Nevada, where gambling is quite legal and the lawmakers ARE capable of distiguishing between betting ON games and playing games.

Unreal...
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

There isn't a "Civ3-Off Topic" listing, so "Civ3-General" comes close enough...and yes, this is very On-Topic. BY LAW the Greeks cannot play computer games, in addition to other things, because the lawmakers wrote a rather inept piece of legislation. They're gonna' get some heat for this...wow. Feel the burn, baby. Feel the burn...

Comment

DRoseDARs, you know this should be off-topic, as it pertains to all games, PCs, and gambling ...and politics. We know you just wanted to add to your post count...

(+1)

Comment

Yes.

No coin-up stores, no games in net cafes, effective immediatelly.

It is currently discussed here:

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=60553
              "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
              Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Shooting myself in the foot here, but actually I couldn't care LESS about my post-count. Moderators: feel free to knock a few outta' my post-count, it was never one of my concerns. Heck, wasn't really aware of such a thing 'til recently...still don't care.

Consider this: MarkG is Greek. This ban on 'stuff' is in Greece. You do the math... (Yes, I know: Carver was just poking fun and MarkG might not acctually LIVE in Greece, but that's all besides the point

Comment

This is a very shoddily written law indeed from what I've heard. It's also impossible to enforce.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming in several other threads
                    I think some people need to open their eyes, or be more creative...

I doubt this law will actually lead to much of anything.

Comment

How can anyone make sush a law?
                      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
                        How can anyone make sush a law?
                        Two words: Knee-jerk

This is a common theme in law, where an inadequet (sp?) amount of research goes into proposed legislation.

Comment

Uhhhhmm. It appears to already be leading to things...

That thread is locked, but has a link to another thread and a citation to the article.

This is some interesting 'stuff', and it does effect Civ3, especially if the gendarmes haul Markos off in the night for being subversive.

Yes, he does live in Greece.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                            Shooting myself in the foot here, but actually I couldn't care LESS about my post-count. Moderators: feel free to knock a few outta' my post-count, it was never one of my concerns. Heck, wasn't really aware of such a thing 'til recently...still don't care.
                            But once you get 500, you can have a custom avatar like me.

+1

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                              This is some interesting 'stuff', and it does effect Civ3, especially if the gendarmes haul Markos off in the night for being subversive.

Yes, he does live in Greece.

The greatest Coup d’état in histroy: Mings phones in the Greek police and takes over Apolyton.
                              I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Working...
                              X