No announcement yet.

Column #124; By Tim Bromige

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve, I don't know if you were having a go at me there, but I don't go about making any demands. I believe that Firaxis will make Civ 3 quite a different game because of their own reasons and not because I say so. I'm not so over-inflated that I think they'll lower to most if not all of my suggestions. Because that's what they are. Purely suggestion. Saying "what-if". For the fun of it as much as out of any real hope that what I say will get noticed in the grand scheme of things. I don't have any expectations, let alone unrealistic ones. I know that they'll go do whatever they think will sell them the most copies (and hopefully in the proccess appease the fans). And all we can do is hope that they'll do whatever is best for the genre. In the meantime, I'll hope to be a small part of what may turn out to be a subtle influence on how Civ 3 turns out. Either way, Civ 3 is going to be quite an evolution over Civ 2, because Firaxis can't afford it not to be.

- MKL
    - mkl

Comment

Quite simply between civ2 and the release of civ3 there will have been 4 other civ games released, and frankly if it isnt better than the most recent (ctp2) then it will fail miserably, no question about it.

Also not everyone here is a geek or a spod and I for one find the names derogeratory and insulting.
      "Through the eyes of perfection evolution dies slowly."

Comment

Maybe he meant 'Spud'

You know a
        P-O-T-A-T-O-{E}

looking at Dan Quayle

------------------
        King Par4!!

There is no spoon
        -The Matrix
        Let's kick it up a notch!!
        -Emeril Lagasse
        Fresh Soy makes Tofu so silky
        -Ming Tsai

Comment

the article's writer , I think , expresses his deepest feelings about posters which allow themselves to dream .

maybe you should make this kind of forum called My civilization on the OTHER segment.

each registered member will have his/her own thread and then you'll archive it all up . each new user will be given the opportunity to " write down " and discribe it . the short way or the long way will be his shot .

Dalgetti

------------------
          Prepare to Land !
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Actually I'm not sure what a spod is, I just went along with that since I don't take any name-calling personally.

I think it is the polarization that was mentioned in another thread. Basically, I (and probably others) view Civ2 as being a unique game, albeit imperfect. Many of the suggestions seem to want to take away some of this uniqueness by moving it closer to other titles. There are those that want it to play like a wargame; or those to play like Imperialism; or those to play like CtP; or AoE or Pharaoh/C3, and so on. Civ2 entails a very particular scale and balance that makes it unique and ....

I'll stop now and put this thought into a new topic. Something just clicked in my mind about this debate.

Comment

Really guys!
              qut nitpicking what he called your oh-so-tender feelings, and listen to what he said. some of you have, in taking issue with the writer suggesting we limit the innovation present in civ3. I commend you.
              I myself mostly agree with him, which you will see if the next article is mine. I personally agree that no cities will make it a different game, but spherical worlds can be done. maybe. I'm split on the micromanagement issue.
              we'll see whe the game comes out, won't we?
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Working...
              X