Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for you kids w/ REALLY fast CPU's like 2.5GhZ +...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for you kids w/ REALLY fast CPU's like 2.5GhZ +...

...w/ 16 Civ's going at it on a huge map, does the game still slow down quite a bit? I only run a 1.2GhZ TBird, and if I play on Marla's map w/ 16 Civs the end game gets very, very slow. How is it running like above 2.5GhZ? Anyone?
    Remember kids: The higher your post count or the faster your computer, the larger your penis!

Th game runs great with 1.9 GhZ, 526 MB RAM, Pentium 4, Radeon 8500 Graphics Card. I never slow down.

I am surprised yours is slowing down. Closing background programs may help.
    For your photo needs:
    http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

The key factor here is memory, much more than the
      'size' of the processor.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

my computer just plain sucks so huge mapes cant be done, but
        i changed my world sizes so that standard was 120x120 and supports 16 civs, i can finish a game in a day.
        the comp slows down looking through the huge folder but doesnt slow down with the standard, but if you increase the world size too much you run out of room for save game data and cant reload the game.

Comment

Re: Question for you kids w/ REALLY fast CPU's like 2.5GhZ +...

Originally posted by fluxcapacitor
          ...w/ 16 Civ's going at it on a huge map, does the game still slow down quite a bit? I only run a 1.2GhZ TBird, and if I play on Marla's map w/ 16 Civs the end game gets very, very slow. How is it running like above 2.5GhZ? Anyone?

(I'm having fun replying to posts like this )

I have a P3 550MHz and 256MB 100MHz SDRAM and WinXP Pro and I HAVE NO SLOW DOWN.

If you are running Win98SE, then you should only run these programs...

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
          Close ANY AND ALL programs excpet:
          Explorer
          Systray
          RunDll

Everything else has got to go.

Also, defrag your HD on a weekly basis if you can, or at LEAST twice a month.

And in the end you can't handle it, remember... IT'S A TBS GAME! If you can't stand it, either go and play a RTS game or walk around a little, stop vegitating in front of the computer. There is a world outside, and you don't need a scout unit to see it either.
          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Re: Re: Question for you kids w/ REALLY fast CPU's like 2.5GhZ +...

Originally posted by Thrawn05

If you are running Win98SE, then you should only run these programs...

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
            Close ANY AND ALL programs excpet:
            Explorer
            Systray
            RunDll

Everything else has got to go.
            Do you know if there are any other background programs running under Win 2000 Professional that I shouldn't close? I am running an older laptop with a PII 400 or 450 mz and 128 mb RAM and sufer real slowdowns in the late game.

Thanks.

Catt

Comment

I think 128mb says it all.... just not enough. If you can (and I know... it's a laptop) upgrade that to 256, 384 or 512 the improvement should be noticable.

Win2K tends to show a few more processes than Win9X, I think this is mostly because it's more honest about telling you what's actually running, it's possible for Win9X programs to not show up when you press ctrl-alt-del.

Win2K wont let you shut down critical stuff so you cant really go wrong just trying . But I do reccomend getting some sort of program to change what programs start at boot-up, system mechanic (google it) does that, and is safer because you can just disable a program from starting at boot-time, rather than removing it (so if it turns out it was required just re-enable it). System mechanic also has heaps of other things which may improve performance (clean up registry etc...).
              Basically every application and it's dog likes to add a little program to start when your computer does, disable all of them and selectively re-enable them if you miss them.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                I think 128mb says it all.... just not enough. If you can (and I know... it's a laptop) upgrade that to 256, 384 or 512 the improvement should be noticable.

Win2K tends to show a few more processes than Win9X, I think this is mostly because it's more honest about telling you what's actually running, it's possible for Win9X programs to not show up when you press ctrl-alt-del.

Win2K wont let you shut down critical stuff so you cant really go wrong just trying .
                Thanks. I just plan on buying a new laptop sometime in the next 6 months rather than upgrading this one - it has served relatively faithfully but deserves to put out of its misery.

I try and shut down what I can before starting Civ 3, but the obscure background applications running that are listed in the Task Manager are so numerous as to insipre a certain degree of fear - this is a MS product after all, and shutting down the wrong application could very cause the sun to rise in the west tomorrow morning (or at least that's how it sometimes feels ).

I think I'll try crossing my fingers and shutting down everything except what Thrawn05 suggests (counting only on a penalty of a reboot and the hope that Win2K won't let me do something stupid as you suggest it should).

Thanks again.

Catt

Comment

Re: Re: Question for you kids w/ REALLY fast CPU's like 2.5GhZ +...

(I'm having fun replying to posts like this )

I have a P3 550MHz and 256MB 100MHz SDRAM and WinXP Pro and I HAVE NO SLOW DOWN.
                  (and i have fun reading your system specs )

so you are saying that on a 256x256 map with 15 AI civs and the whole map settled at the end of the modern age you get ABSOLUTELY NO SLOW DOWN BETWEEN your turns???? we are not talking about normal gameplay here, we are talking about the total time it takes for all the AI players to make their moves, which WILL be slow on ANY computer bought by the general public.

Comment

I run the game on PII 333 with 192 Megs of RAM, I always play on huge maps with 16 civs, the endgame slows down a little bit, but it is not that annoying, the turns don't last incredibly long, the longest was about 2 or 3 minutes, this was when I was getting near to 2000 AD, I don't know were the difference could be? I do turn off the automated animations etc.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Question for you kids w/ REALLY fast CPU's like 2.5GhZ +...

Originally posted by Catt

Do you know if there are any other background programs running under Win 2000 Professional that I shouldn't close? I am running an older laptop with a PII 400 or 450 mz and 128 mb RAM and sufer real slowdowns in the late game.

Thanks.

Catt

Win2k and WinXP have a lot better control of memory then Win9x, that it's not an issue. Just get ride of Ant-Virus programs, IM programs, and firewall programs. The rest can stay.
                      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by neonext

(and i have fun reading your system specs )

so you are saying that on a 256x256 map with 15 AI civs and the whole map settled at the end of the modern age you get ABSOLUTELY NO SLOW DOWN BETWEEN your turns???? we are not talking about normal gameplay here, we are talking about the total time it takes for all the AI players to make their moves, which WILL be slow on ANY computer bought by the general public.

(This guy thinks I'm stupid )

Of course I mean BETWEEN TURNS.

I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH 256X256 W/ 16 CIVS AND INTO THE FEATURE TECH AGE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                          Win2K wont let you shut down critical stuff so you cant really go wrong just trying . But I do reccomend getting some sort of program to change what programs start at boot-up, system mechanic (google it) does that, and is safer because you can just disable a program from starting at boot-time, rather than removing it (so if it turns out it was required just re-enable it). System mechanic also has heaps of other things which may improve performance (clean up registry etc...).
                          Basically every application and it's dog likes to add a little program to start when your computer does, disable all of them and selectively re-enable them if you miss them.
                          Or just get StartUp Cop from PC Mag... it's free.

Also, for you Win98SE users, I suggest FreeMem Std (freeware) to help with your memory.

Both programs I highly recommend.

Comment

(This guy thinks I'm stupid )

Of course I mean BETWEEN TURNS.

I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH 256X256 W/ 16 CIVS AND INTO THE FEATURE TECH AGE!!!
                            i dont think ur stupid, i just think ur a liar

but that's okay

Comment

No slow down?????

On a huge map (256 X 256) with 16 civs it takes about 15 minutes for the AI to go through it's turn. Plus it takes at least 15 to go through the building stage of my turn. Especially annoying are the 60 second delays everytime a city builds an airport. Ugghhh!!!!

Of course, at this stage of the game there are 512 cities on the map. Maybe Thrawn05 plays One City Wonder games?

But in any case, I'm using a P4 1600MHz with 512MB RAM and WinXP. There's no way that any game with a reasonable amount of cities (400 = 25 cities per civ) is going to be as quick as a "just started" game with only a few cities.

Comment

Working...
                              X