No announcement yet.

Rush building: cheap or effective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limey: Sure the current system works, but I'd rather play a system that is more realistic and is more playable if one is implemented in Civ3. You're almost saying "if it isn't broke, why fix it," which I disagree with, anything can be improved.

------------------
    Learn the mistakes of yesterday to prevent the ones of tomorrow...
    Learn the mistakes of yesterday to prevent the ones of tomorrow...

Comment

Maybe you didn't read my later post in response to Adm.Naismith, where I wrote 'I can see your point... and I think you've shifted my view a little.'

I'm not sure whether it IS an improvement to disallow rush building... it may be or may be not

I think that there possibly should be at least the option however to keep it the way it is, along with a release early with reduced hps. A per-government-per-unit-or-improvement-or-wonder factor to increase the cost by would be highly elegant and flexible, for the rush build 'mode'.

Of course, under play testing and balancing at Firaxis, they may find that it doesn't work well, or upsets the balance in some way... or is so good that its the only option to go with.

Ultimately many ideas like this are impossible to guage gameplay-wise without seeing them in reality.

Comment

TheLimey, I have no problem with your point about "save that already done work" when you switch production. I posted some words on the same line on another thread. I haven't a solution, still working on it

About rush building buildings (no pun intended), I simply keep on my idea of "rush to a point", not the whole bank or police station. I don't think that state of buildings will be added (too much tactical effort, IMHO) as someone asked for, months ago, so I can't see a way to reproduce an "half bank" effect.

About your proposal of "automatic garrison" I can't judge it (I never played CTP, mod or not).

I understand it can simplify the AI job, so may be it is a viable suggestion.

Generally speaking, I agree with you that some suggestions are not difficult to realize, simply must checked and balanced with some working game model.

But that's work for Firaxis, we can't do all for them, right?

------------------
        Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
        [This message has been edited by Adm.Naismith (edited July 12, 2000).]
        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I found that especially in later portions of the game, I was hardly building anything in my larger cities. I would let stuff build for a turn (so the price would be lower) and then buy it. Perhaps there should be a time limit for rush building? This would allow the rapid construction of something critical, but would let building of normal things continue at the speed of materials intake.

Also, how about this for a rush building idea. Every turn, you can take x amount of materials/shields/minerals out of the production line. These materials could be saved, and used to rush build stuff. Then, materials could be used to 'rush build' something at a rate of 2 to 1, in addition to gold. When the shield treasury of the city is exhausted, then the stockpiles of nearby cities are used, but the gold rate is ten times more expensive.

Would this work? Or would this allow more rule-bending?

Comment

A couple o' ideas:

Multiple build items per city/region, allowing a player to build that pikeman while continuing to finish a cathedral

City/Regional stores: You set aside a portion of contruction (also food & money) per turn (if desired) to build things later. There may be loss over time due to deterioration (ember)

Greater productive capacity than currently allowed in civ

A purchasing system, similar to MOO 1, where money buys x2 or x3 production for x# of turns. No more insta-builds.

Switching construction puts the old item(s) on hold while the new one needs to be built from scratch. Similar items (temple->university; APC-> riflemen) may use shields from original, with a little loss due to switch- or maybe not.

My @@ cents.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I want to see Civ3 have queues building say 10 squadrons of fighters in a size 20 city that can finish them in 2 turns where it would have wasted lots of production on 1 each turn. Also there should be 2 types of queues, units, buildings and in the unit queue you can build as many things as you want but it will take a while. So you could click 2 battleships and move it into the queue, 10 fighters, 10 armor all at the same time and if you are large enough in that region they will all come out in stacks, if theres a military academy. Ready to move.

Domestic production would be for building a system of the designated improvement which is what is in Civ already. They should mainly cost money and take a few turns to complete a system, as in real life but can be rushed. Improvements need to cost a lot to maintain but should give big bonuses so you can sell them off to the people or a corporation, giving different effects to the city, or keep them as your own and absorb the cost. More strategy.

Rush building should only happen when there is excess supplies. The city would take a hit in everything because people are reassigned to government jobs for a year to complete it hurting the schools, food production everything. But if you have the excess you can produce alot, and coupled with storage could be very good.

anyway that is my 3 types of production I would like to see. so... what do you think?

------------------
              King Par4!!

fldmarshallpar4@icqmail.com

There is no spoon
              -The Matrix
              Let's kick it up a notch!!
              -Emeril Lagasse
              Fresh Soy makes Tofu so silky
              -Ming Tsai

Comment

Working...
              X