Two leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two leaders

Sorry to polluate this forum with something that is certainly obvious to most of you here, but I need to know: is it possible to have two leaders at the same time ?
    In other words if I keep a leader for a "wonder rescue plan", does it prevent me from getting another one in combat ?

Thanks.

Nope, just one at a time (sorry).
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

No, you can only have one Great Leader at a time. I didn't know that myself until I read about it here. I guess they figured being able to save up a bunch of Leaders would give a player too much of an advantage.
      "God is dead." - Nietzsche
      "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

Thanks for the quick answer.

BTW that means that keeping a GL for wonder emmergencies is not necessarily a good idea.

Another question about GL: I wonder if units loaded in an army can create GL just as independant units.

Comment

Altough it is possible to get two (or more!) leaders in the same turn, if you burn the first one. I once got two leaders in a row, elite combat -> leader generated, immediately burnt on FP, the next unit at the city activates and I attack and generate a second GL.

Comment

Originally posted by Max

BTW that means that keeping a GL for wonder emmergencies is not necessarily a good idea.

Another question about GL: I wonder if units loaded in an army can create GL just as independant units.
            I believe that they can, they still advance from veteran to elite.

Anyone know for sure?
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

No leaders from units in an army, and no leaders from fighting barbarians.

Catt

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
                No leaders from units in an army, and no leaders from fighting barbarians.

Catt

I knew about the barbarians, wasn't sure about armies. I rarely seem to get GLs anyway.
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

And if your Elite has created a GL,
                  it will NOT be able to do so again until you upgrade it.
                  (if possible)
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

This is from a response to a post at CivFanatics by etj4Eagle about Great Leaders.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Each unit can produce at most one great leader. Each time a unit is upgraded, however, it can once again produce a great leader. You can have more than one great leader per game but only one at a time.

Mike Breitkreutz
                    Programmer
                    FIRAXIS Games

Add On (Edited In):

Originally posted by Loopy

This would also imply that armies (since units within can be promoted) could in theory spawn as many leaders as they have units. The limit of 1 per makes total sense given the exploit Killer identified. Preventing unloading and reloading units from armies makes sense too.

I don't know how useful knowing the actual mechanism would be to know if I'm right. Care to comment Beer?
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Units in armies cannot spawn leaders because an army is already led by the leader that created it. Also, leaders cannot be spawned from combat with barbarians (this was not changed in a patch -- it has always worked this way).

Mike Breitkreutz
                    Programmer
                    FIRAXIS Games

EDIT

Additional info:

quote:
                    Originally posted by sumthinelse

Mike, welcome back.

I am not sure exactly what this statement means, though. Does it mean:

1) That when an army wins a victory a leader can never be created as a result of such combat?

2) That when an army wins a victory it can create one leader but only one, even though the army can have more than one unit in it? I suppose that the army would have to be ''elite'' but I don't think I have ever seen an elite army, although I have seen armies with elite units in them.

It means:
                    1) when an army wins a victory a leader can never be created as a result of such combat.
                    _____
                    Mike

Mike B., is it possible for an army (not the units in it) to be promoted to elite? Never saw one.

Armies are never promoted and do not really have an experience level. (I believe they will be stored internally as either Regualr or Veteran but it is never used for armies).

quote:

Mike B., does it look like the odds 1/12 and 1/16 are applied under the correct conditions (before/after Heroic Epic) for generating a leader?
                    ----

Odds with Heroic Epic = 1/12
                    Odds without Heroic Epic = 1/16
                    The odds are halved for defenders (1/24 and 1/32).

Mike

Originally posted by IDSmoker
                    Can units with the 'blitz' attribute (the ability to attack more than once per turn) create GLs on any attack other than their first?
                    ----

Yes.

quote:
                    ----
                    Can a blitz unit that gets promoted on it's first attack, create a GL on it's subsequent attacks?
                    ----

Yes.

quote:
                    ----
                    Originall posted by PaleHorse76
                    Hopefully Firaxis will make the ELITE units visually different someday.
                    ----

I'm experimenting with giving the player the option of renaming units that generate a leader.

Mike

quote:
                    ----
                    Originally posted by Cartouche Bee
                    When you right click on a square why can't all the units in the list that produced Great Leaders just have a star (*) beside them? No renaming and if you upgrade the unit the star disappears cause it's eligible to produce a GL again.

CB
                    ----
                    Good idea!

Mike

quote:
                    ----
                    Is it possible that we could get some solution like the * in a patch before PTW comes out? Note, I said possible, not a promise.
                    ----

Both this and the option to rename units that spawn a leader will probably be included in the editor update (though I can't make any guarantees...).
                    _____
                    Mike

They were added in the 1.29f patch

Zigeuner, our very own Zig, has found out that Artillery with Lethal Bombardment turned on CAN create a Great Leader, way to go Zig.
                    Originally posted by Loopy

This would also imply that armies (since units within can be promoted) could in theory spawn as many leaders as they have units. The limit of 1 per makes total sense given the exploit Killer identified. Preventing unloading and reloading units from armies makes sense too.

I don't know how useful knowing the actual mechanism would be to know if I'm right. Care to comment Beer?

Units in armies cannot spawn leaders because an army is already led by the leader that created it. Also, leaders cannot be spawned from combat with barbarians (this was not changed in a patch -- it has always worked this way).

Mike Breitkreutz
                    Programmer
                    FIRAXIS Games

EDIT

Additional info:

quote:

Mike, welcome back.

I am not sure exactly what this statement means, though. Does it mean:

1) That when an army wins a victory a leader can never be created as a result of such combat?

2) That when an army wins a victory it can create one leader but only one, even though the army can have more than one unit in it? I suppose that the army would have to be ''elite'' but I don't think I have ever seen an elite army, although I have seen armies with elite units in them.

It means:
                    1) when an army wins a victory a leader can never be created as a result of such combat.

New info:

quote:

Mike B., is it possible for an army (not the units in it) to be promoted to elite? Never saw one.

Armies are never promoted and do not really have an experience level. (I believe they will be stored internally as either Regualr or Veteran but it is never used for armies).

quote:

Mike B., does it look like the odds 1/12 and 1/16 are applied under the correct conditions (before/after Heroic Epic) for generating a leader?

Odds with Heroic Epic = 1/12
                    Odds without Heroic Epic = 1/16
                    The odds are halved for defenders (1/24 and 1/32).

Mike Breitkreutz
                    Programmer
                    FIRAXIS Games

Originally posted by IDSmoker
                    Can units with the 'blitz' attribute (the ability to attack more than once per turn) create GLs on any attack other than their first?

Yes.

quote:
                    Can a blitz unit that gets promoted on it's first attack, create a GL on it's subsequent attacks?

Yes.

quote:
                    Originall posted by PaleHorse76
                    Hopefully Firaxis will make the ELITE units visually different someday.

I'm experimenting with giving the player the option of renaming units that generate a leader.

Mike Breitkreutz
                    Programmer
                    FIRAXIS Games

NB: This last was put in the 1.29f patch

quote:
                    Originally posted by Cartouche Bee
                    When you right click on a square why can't all the units in the list that produced Great Leaders just have a star (*) beside them? No renaming and if you upgrade the unit the star disappears cause it's eligible to produce a GL again.

CB

Good idea!

Mike Breitkreutz
                    Programmer
                    FIRAXIS Games

Quote:

quote:
                    Is it possible that we could get some solution like the * in a patch before PTW comes out? Note, I said possible, not a promise.

Both this and the option to rename units that spawn a leader will probably be included in the editor update (though I can't make any guarantees...).

Sorry if I copied something more than once in this post; I was copy/pasting from several posts in one thread.

Here is the link to the beginning thread post:

Great Leader Post at CivFanatics

Comment

Originally posted by Max

Yes and no. Yes it is a bad idea if you are cranking out lots of leaders and the wonders is more than a few turns away. No if you are only getting about 5 leaders a game, then hold it. I had 4 leaders in one turn, 3 on offense and one on defense (got killed . ). I was making leaders so fast, I would use them for something as soon as they were created, IF I had more elites to fight that round that could make another leader and no wonders was coming up the next turn

Comment

Working...
                      X