The Great Library - why all the fuss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Library - why all the fuss?

I don't see what all the fuss is over The Great Library being a 'must have' wonder. Granted, it is far more useful than, say, the Oracle, however if you're a good player you won't have much use for it. The fact that it goes obsolete rather quickly makes it even less appealing to me.

The only "must have" wonders to me are Smith's Trading Shop and Leonardo's Workshop. There are a lot of other really useful wonders, but those two rank the highest for me.
    "Perseus wore a magic cap so that the monsters he hunted might not see him. We draw the magic cap down over our own eyes and ears so as to deny that there are any monsters" - Karl Marx

the great library is overrated as far as i'm concerned as well.

it may save you a small amount of money early on, but it takes a city's production for many turns.

I'd rather have the equilivant of the GL's shields in horsemen.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Re: The Great Library - why all the fuss?

Originally posted by Captain THC
      I don't see what all the fuss is over The Great Library being a 'must have' wonder.
      On the higher levels, it can be very expensive to keep up in techs. The Great Library can often garner several free techs, and leverage your Civ into the lead. It's not a "must have," but often very useful.

Comment

The best situation for it to be used, in my opinion, would be for a warmongorer - usually when you focus strongly on military in the early and mid stages of the game, you'll fall behind in science, so I can see it being of use in this case. Otherwise, I wouldn't go too all out to get it.
        "Perseus wore a magic cap so that the monsters he hunted might not see him. We draw the magic cap down over our own eyes and ears so as to deny that there are any monsters" - Karl Marx

Comment

Having some free techs is not the only reason to build it:
          - I build it to deny the opponents in having it
          - it is also a cultural boost, along with some of the other early wonders; building temples and libraries as well, I sometimes have 5 or 6 times more culture than my opponents and I "eat" their cities like mad
          "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
          --George Bernard Shaw
          A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
          --Woody Allen

Comment

Yiberius,

I never got ANY enemy cities turning over to me via culture.

NEVER.

Not in almost 1 year of Civ3 gameplay.

How do you do the culture "flipping" thing? I've had cities with 100 - 1000 culture or more next to an enemy city with 0 - 50 culture, for like 100 turns and no flipping.

What is up with that? Maybe my Civ3 CD and program doesn't have the culture "flip" option or ability.
            Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sovereign
              What is up with that? Maybe my Civ3 CD and program doesn't have the culture "flip" option or ability.
              Coracle would love to have your CD....
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Culture flipping has to do more with your CIV's culture value than with the culture of your city next door. Read up on the thread on the subject (sorry, it's around here somewhere; I'm going back to bed).

Comment

How do you do the culture "flipping" thing? I've had cities with 100 - 1000 culture or more next to an enemy city with 0 - 50 culture, for like 100 turns and no flipping.
                  Any city with full control of all 21 of its tiles is very unlikely to flip. That is why I sometimes force the issue by planting a city as close as I can. Most likely you are not creating the border overlaps that are needed to generate culture flips.

Build RIGHT next to the city you didn't like being plopped down near your borders. Not near it. As close as if possible. Build a temple. Rush it if you can. Build a library. The AI rarely pushes culture as a weapon. Any other cities that have borders with the target must also have their culture pushed. Then wait.

It won't always work but it often does. Early in the game you can even capture a city near their capital. If the AI starts pumping out culture than the borders may stiffen up so it works best against cultures without religion or science. If you are warmongering this is a waste of effort. Just take the bloody thing. However when I play a builder game I can half a dozen or more cities that way on a standard map. Sooner or later the AI will change its government and when they are in anarchy the chance of flipping goes up. Unless I am relgious civ I only make ONE government change. I go from Despot to Republic and stick with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
                    Coracle would love to have your CD....
                    :lol

How do you do the culture "flipping" thing?
                    Well, basically Ethelred said it all.
                    Build your cities close to the AI's cities, build quickly temple and library, etc. But be aware, your total culture must be much higher than your opponent's culture! Some early wonders (Pyramids, Colossus, Oracle, Great Library) are very helpful for this strategy.
                    I usually play with the egyptians and start near the romans. They don't care much about culture and instead concentrate only on building cities and units. I try to put my cities between theirs, and as my culture rises and my borders grow, their cities become basically surrounded by my cultural borders.
                    Sometimes I have more roman cities than egyptian ones! They are basically building their cities for me
                    "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                    --George Bernard Shaw
                    A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                    --Woody Allen

Comment

Back to the topic...

The War Monger has little use for it. 0 reasearch buys a lot of tech, the surrender of enemies with greater tech does more.

I'm not a War Monger. I usually play as a build-monger. I don't usually build it. I have no problem finding the lead in tech in the late Medeival, or early Industrial age.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I love the Library, even though I often can do without it.

I usually warmonger, on Monarch level (for the most part). I like building it to prevent the AI from getting it, and depending on how my ancient wars have gone and how the rest of the world shapes up, I may even get some tech out of it. Sometimes, if I'm on a largish continent with several AIs, getting the library can result in a nice little tech rush that catches me up (while I've been hoarding cash and building my military). Other times, I am even in tech and can shut off science totally and use my boosted income to rushbuy improvements and such. All in all, I think it's a pretty useful Wonder.

There is a thread on this in the strat forum, btw... pretty much the same question, too.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Yup the trick is to deny your enemies to have it as with the GL even civs which are technologically behind at the moment may become a thread with this wonder. I agree with you that in most games the human player is the most advanced in the game so you might not get out much perhaps some techs in the beginning but I often build it for the purpose to stay on top and keep the others dump .
                          Dance to Trance

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.

Comment

100-1000 culture You build too many units! As a peaceful pacifist defensive builder I often have many, many cities with 3000+ culture.

… But when 30 of your cities have built everything useful there is to build by the start of the modern era there is not much left to do but build modern armor in every city every 2-3 turns and take over the world.
                            ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
                            "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
                            Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

Great Library is a must at Deity level. Due to AI's production and research bonus, you need a much bigger empire than theirs to stay ahead. However, since the AI civs start out with hell lot more units(including a Settler) than you, they are guaranteed to grow faster than you. In addition, AI civs do lots of "Tech-Whoring" at Deity level, which means you will suddenly be 5 or more techs behind them. The common solution to this dilemma is warmongering: new cities, more workers, blackmailed techs, and most importantly, Great Leaders.

But still, there will be civs outside your reach. You can't blackmail them for techs, and you can't pay their exorbitant prices either. The three early Feudal Age Wonders(Sun Tzu's, Sistine Chapel, and Leo's Workshop) are very important in helping you to win the game. Imagining a situation where you have a Great Leader, but don't have the Techs to built any of them. If you just had the Great Library, things wouldn't be nearly as bad as now.

Finally, I built GLs in all of my last 2 games at Deity level. Everytime I got like around 12 Techs out of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X