No announcement yet.

Space Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as I know you are supposed to be able to carry on your civ using AC and the choices you make in CIV3 will effect things in AC.
    "Through the eyes of perfection evolution dies slowly."

Comment

rremus, I think you have a great idea... Each nation could pick and choose which planets to colonize and everyone would have constant map updates of each other as deploying a satellite would be simple matter of building and selecting planet (or system). Founding cities should be much faster too and needingly so with the potential for so much more land. I see them as easy as establishing forts/airbases, eventually growing themselves for mining and trade colonies, and eventually into cities. (insert imigration thread ideas here)

Planets would also differ; some supporting life as we know it, some needing dome habitats. Alien life would need to be implimented very carefully. This is one area where our imaginations differ greatly and something too extreme will be detracting from the game for someone... especially intelligent alien life.

Par4, what is it specifically with multiple maps that you dislike? Depending on how it was done, I would have no problem with multiple maps for each planet. Keeping track of what was going on where would be fine as long as each planet had something unique about it. Usually city placement is enough to distinguish where you're at.

As a side note, I had always wished Alpha Centari followed the Starcraft story rather then the on-ship disfactions they went with. First contact coming through interplanatory traveling...

Comment

If someone wants to design a scenario about space colonization and warfare in Civ3, that would be great. But don't include such nonsense in the main game. IMO.

Comment

I agree with Steve, I don't mind keeping it on Earth during the regular game. The scenarios can do the things you talked about.

------------------
          ~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~
          "Oh, they have the Internet on computers now!"

Comment

I'm not sure if this would be considered off topic; but, if you want what should be a good space colonization kind of game, check out Galactic Civilizations from Stardock. I know I really liked it on OS/2. I've even been thinking about reinstalling OS/2 just to play again, so the windows version is good news.

Comment

yeah, it is a controversial topic. I'd be fine with an add-on or scenario. I wouldn't call it nonsense though. Colonization and space exploration is inevitable for man. Its just a question of how soon. ahhh, Civ17 will have some pretty nifty units.

Comment

I don't like multiple maps because they aren't fun. And I doubt any colony network on a hospitable planet is going to be around by 2060 unless we drop the sweep of time thing. I just hate switching maps, it sucks, it takes time. CTP had a button for the space map, pretty easy, how is Civ3 going to do better? Why do you think CTP2 dropped the other map thing, it wasn't fun, it sucked, no one liked it. Multiple maps IMHO isn't going to add anything to the game's funness(is this a word?)

------------------
                I use this email
                (stupid cant use hotmail)
                gamma_par4@hotmail.com
                Don't ask for golf tips
                Your game will get worse
                HappyLand

Comment

agent4043:

You're right about Civ17, but someone had better get some skin scrapings of Sid Meier so we can clone him if he dies before it's complete .

par4:

I agree that multiple maps don't really add anything to the game. How is two maps really any different than one really big one as far as gameplay goes? I do like SMACs orbital map because it is extremely limited in scope and doesn't allow any colonization.

But technically, the beginnings of Mars colonization are possible now. Read "The Case for Mars" by Robert Zubrin and Richard Wagner. I think it might even be available online somewhere, but don't ask me where (try NASA or JPL sites).

Comment

Colonization is possible but I mean practical colonization, something your civ could get back. Some small research stations or non inhabited mining bases could be possible, I think but a network of city production centers in the Civ timeline I doubt.

------------------
                    I use this email
                    (stupid cant use hotmail)
                    gamma_par4@hotmail.com
                    Don't ask for golf tips
                    Your game will get worse
                    HappyLand

Comment

I think a SpaceBase would be Nice, but then the game keeps going and going it will never end. Eventually the Firaxis Developers would run out of ideas, eventually. (Probably in a Million Years ) Good Idea Though, I like it!

------------------
                      GAMEOPOLIS

Comment

Working...
                      X