World Map Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Map Question...

I have quite a few games under my belt, and something I noticed a little bit ago has seemed to me more and more likely to be true.
    Will the AI declare war on you if they don't have your world or territory map? Because every time I play I never give anyone my map, and I usually declare war first, and if I don't declare war first, they won't attack me. Is this just luck, or is the AI triggered to only declare war if they have your map?
    What's my signature going to be when I become a Warlord? Guess and Win!
    I've got the body of a GOD. So what if it's Buddha? ~Cheiftain
    There are only 3 types of people in this world; the ones that can count, and the ones that can't. ~Settler

In the early game, world maps are valuable, but usualy not the reason for war.

I think it's because you are either weaker or the civs in question are aggresive (germany).
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Also because the computer tends to like you more if you cooperate. With any dealings with the AI, you giveing a little will go a long way.
      TWO FISTED MONKEY STYLE ATTACK!

Comment

given the claims that the AI cheats and knows the whole map anyway, it would seem like a good deal to sell it maps even for 1 gold...
        Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

If you are an aggressive player you normally have enough units to intimidate your neighbours into staying peaceful, map or no map. I usually only get invaded if I let my military lapse in an effort to build city improvements and ignore diplomacy to keep my neighbours content.
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

Well I never give the AI anything and therefore they declare war (but only if they are stronger than you otherwise they just bluff) this I've learned here in this forum. But do maps have such a high importance to declare war? I doubt it very much.
            Dance to Trance

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.

Comment

Cdinkle:

IMO you are correct. It seems that other civs often want to have my map before they declare war. More than once I've traded territory maps with another civ, only to have them declare war on me one or two turns later. That's not to say they wouldn't declare war anyway, but it seems they do more often after getting my map.

Comment

I just finished a game in which I never traded my maps. Ever. Only one AI ever sent a ship around my continent... a Greek caravel, and I don't think it made a full circuit.

But people attacked me. I put down one city on their continent, and immediately, two different civs sent stacks of troops straight for it. BAM! World War. Which was fine by me.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Don't give them your map, they'll use it to settle on "your" land.
                  Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

The more you trade with the civs and give them what they demand, the less chance is that they'll attack you.
                    Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

Originally posted by Egyptian
                      Cdinkle:

IMO you are correct. It seems that other civs often want to have my map before they declare war. More than once I've traded territory maps with another civ, only to have them declare war on me one or two turns later. That's not to say they wouldn't declare war anyway, but it seems they do more often after getting my map.
                      Feels good to be correct.
                      What's my signature going to be when I become a Warlord? Guess and Win!
                      I've got the body of a GOD. So what if it's Buddha? ~Cheiftain
                      There are only 3 types of people in this world; the ones that can count, and the ones that can't. ~Settler

Comment

I try not to ever giva my world map away, Once you do, then the AI will send settlers tramaling through your ground

Comment

Well, if the AI hasn't even found your empire, it wouldn't make sense for it to declare war on you, because it wouldn't know where to go to attack you. Although they presumably know where your capitol is if you establish an embassy with them or vice versa, just as you then know where theirs is.

Even if they do know where some of your cities are, having full knowledge of an enemy nation's geography is extremely useful when going to war. So it would make sense for them to prefer war with civs whose territory map they already have.

I guess I haven't really considered the pure military value of maps before. But I don't think I'll be forgetting it in the future. Thanks!
                          "God is dead." - Nietzsche
                          "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalGrace
                            given the claims that the AI cheats and knows the whole map anyway, it would seem like a good deal to sell it maps even for 1 gold...
                            Why? Even if getting your map does nothing for the civ buying it, shouldn't you hold on to your map in the hopes of selling it for more in the future? AIs are often willing to pay quite a lot for maps, although they do seem to value their own more than mine, even if they are of similar size. And remember, once you sell your map to a civ, they can sell it to others, which means that you may not be able to sell it to other civs in the future, because they will already have it.
                            "God is dead." - Nietzsche
                            "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM2433
                              Why? Even if getting your map does nothing for the civ buying it, shouldn't you hold on to your map in the hopes of selling it for more in the future? AIs are often willing to pay quite a lot for maps, although they do seem to value their own more than mine, even if they are of similar size. And remember, once you sell your map to a civ, they can sell it to others, which means that you may not be able to sell it to other civs in the future, because they will already have it.
                              When your map is large (i.e., there is more to offer), it is worth more. As it gets stale (i.e., when everyone already has the information), it is worth less.

Once you sell it to one, YOU have the opportunity to sell it to the others NOW, before others share it. Just as with tech trading, you may find that its value diminishes as its knowledge becomes less exclusive.

Comment

Working...
                              X