Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle

OK, this is going to be long, it is why I am creating a structure, if you want to reply, tell me the part on which you are replying.

I)
    Battles in civ2 were not the most accurate part of the game, this is why I have a few ideas on how to improve battle.

i. In the middle ages, battles in Europe were not the same at all as the battles of modern time, armies were owned by lords in feudal Europe, and the King had to rent their services. Furthermore, two armies would lie face to face, they would negocaite peace (70% of the time, peace was made, sometimes with one King offering money or land to the other) and if the army was defeated, it was most likely the the entire country would surrender.

ii. However, not all armies fought this way, and there was some guerilla fighting going on, with peasants that would kill soldiers one by one just to make an army much weaker, but i'll get back to this later

iii. Therefore, middle ages armies might just be more effective when they are in a great group and the other players might just be discouraged when they see this great army heading strait at them. Plus, there might be deals made not only with the leaders, but with the cities individually, maybe by founding a new state allied to the country that posseses this army, or by making the city one of the country's against a small deal of money for the city's leaders. There might also be a new rule, that shows the power of frightening that an army has, say an army of 14 units has to fight against an army of 5 units, while the first country has 31 units over all and the second only 12, maybe they will just surrender instead of fighting a lost cause. Besides the deals, the units surrundering should be allowed to return home safely in exchange.

2)

i. But fighting in modern life can be just like fighting in the middle ages, maybe there can be the same rule that frightens the enemy's armies, or your. But I think that in modern life, the more effective government types prevent individual cities from joining the enemy, althought it could still happen say if there is a lot of unhappy citizens in that city.

ii. I think that more details need to be included in the units' caracteristics, and here they are:
    - strength * (the same bar as in the previous civs)
    - morale *: the length of the war would have something to do with this, the stats from the war as well (number of units lost/number of units killed), the number of units that are surrounding the unit/number of friendly units nearby, as well as the frightening attribute from the enemy's army.
    - fatigue *: depending on the time units rest and on the way they have just travelled, men that have just marched for two weeks do not fight as weel as men that have had a 2 weeks rest.
    - equipment *: the ammount of equipment, fuel, ammo, food, water and all sort of things like that. Units should be allowed to have an autonomy for a certain time (which would be a further reason for upgrading, see later) and then their 100 percent will start to go down and they will not fight as well when it does and they will die when it gets to 0.
    - range: units should have a range in meter or in another system and this will determine when they will start firing at the enemy in the open. For example, knights will have range 0, archers might have 50, catapults might have up to 100, later tanks might have 2000 while marines have 250, and so on.
    - speeds: I think that the way units move is totally unrealistic and maybe there should be speeds allocated to units. There should be three different kinds of speeds:
    slow walking speed (they do not tire the units much but they are not very fast and in km/day i.e. 20km/day for ground troops)
    fastest walking speed (they tire the troops a lot but they march much faster, same unit, say 60km/day). Of course these speeds will depend on the terrain type, any terrain with a road will have the same speed, however, movement throught forests and hills with no road will be much slower. These speeds could change once automobile is found, as the troops can use convoys. But certain units should not be allowed in terrain types without road, tanks in forests for example.
    The third type of speed is fastest attack speed, which would be in m/s (meters per second) and would be, for example 5 for infantry (about 10 miles per hour), 20 for tanks and so on, some would have 0, say cannons of artillery, as they only shoot from a fixed position and then be captured if that position is take.
    - reload time: this will help in the battle to determine how much a certain unit could kill enemy troops before they actually move into range.
    - armor type and weapons type: this could be mage to prevent warriors making damage to tanks, or even riflemen, as they had few explisives and therefore firepower towards tank, they would be highly inneffecite against them. This could ensure that in modern life combat, infantry stays important, infantry would therefore kill other infantry more effectively than tanks, especially in cities where tanks can be destroyed from hidden positions in buildings where the tanks can't come in.

iii. This would therefore add to realism, preventing phalanx from hitting fighters, and so on. But to ensure this, another concept has to be made: reinforcements and material supply. It seemed obvious to the civ2 creators to show support for units but not on how those units will get the support while away from home? I think this can be solved by using forward bases that get food, ammo, and all of the necessary equipement, and these bases should have a range that makes sure that the units inside that range heal, and rest and so on. But these bases have to be linked back to the main land, in order for the supplies to reach them, and these lines can be pirated, damaged, or even broken by enemy forces. This will add to the realism of the game, and units can be affected to protect the lines.

iv. To come back to the speed business, I think something has to be done about the train system, I think it is highly unreal. First of all, most countries have trains that link their cities together, but it does not mean that they can have troops anywhere anytime, but this again could be fixed by the speed factor. If the speed of all units is the same while they use the railroad system, it could make the game more real, and it would still take some time away, so to limit the range of units.

3)

i. If you have gotten to this point, you must ask yourself a very normal question: if units go 20km/day and if a turn last for 1 year, and sometimes more, up to 20, the range of the units will not really be limited by this new rule but only increased largely. This is true and that is why I have another idea in mind. In fact the units could travel up to 7300km in one year, this means roughly a fifth of the world's equator distance. This is why I think that when the country is in war, turns should last less time, as to plan real strategy attacks and defences, this could mean 1/4 of the time in the middle ages, 1/6 a bit later and 1/12 in the modern age, bringing us to a monthly management of our armies.

ii. But this does not come without problems. It means that you can lose even more units than you can build, because production must remain the same, and if we divide the production by 12, instead of taking say 2 real turns to build a tank, it takes only 14 short ones to build it, therefore giving a big advantage to countries at war. But let me say this: don't countries at war have much more effecient production? Is it more real to have a bomber up in the air for 2 years?

4)

i. This brings me to another point: airpower. I think it was highly unreal in civ2 to have plains the way they were, I mean fighteres could only attack bombers and other fighters while they were in cities, and I think that in order to fix it, there should be something like a zone of intervention for fighters, where the fighters automatically engage any enemy airplanes and where they give support to ground troops either engaging targets or being attacked.

ii. This could solve a lot of problems, and air support would therefore be much more realistic. But the problem of missiles remains, what can we do about missiles to make them more real, can we make fighters carry missiles to sink ship? Can we make air to ground or surface to surface missiles attack civilian or semi military buildings such as an oil refinery, a bridge, a factory, etc... Well, I have no real answer for this but I think that by allowing air raids and missule raids on those kind of targets, we could add a little fun to the game, and add realism.
    [This message has been edited by general_charles (edited April 25, 2000).]
    -- Capitalism slaughterer --

I see you know a lot of European history and your ideas are very realistic, but maybe too realistic for Civ. This system would be a revolutionary in Civ, but can we take the risk, because it would change battle very radically and some people wouldn't like it at all!

Comment

THE NUMBER 4

This part is very interresting and I think it would work out very well!!!

Comment

This isn't really related to the topic. More as to help some one out with 3 field agriculture.

It was actually 4 fields used and the term was crop rotation. 3 fields would be used each year whilst one was left fallow. the following year a different field would be left fallow. This greatly improved the amount of found generated. This is known as the Agricultural Revolution.

Comment

Hello!
          I do not agree. The ideas would be very good for a strategic war game, which Civ IMO is not. Civ is a game about civilization [to state the obvious ], and civilization does not mean "military" to me. It *does* mean culture, and science, and arts, instead. What are ancient Egypt and Greek remembered for? Not for their great military progress, but for science like math (probably you too learned Pythagoras), arts like writing [who doesn't know the word "hieroglyph"? Any use for it today? If no, why does one know it? ], and culture like Aeskulap's oath, or Homer's tales.
          No, Civ and civilization is IMHO definitely *not* about military. And I surely miss the non-military parts of a civilization in Civ. Shakespeare? Fine! Bach? Fine! Michelangelo? Fine too. But where in Civ is what is today's everyday culture, like going to a hospital when I have a broken bone? Or a museum, arts gallery, or even a simple park when I want to go there? Where is what kept people in Asia happy for several thousand years? (And I do not mean religion!) Where are Rubens, Van Gogh, Dali, Pythagoras, Homer, Cato, Beethoven, Schubert? Where are the arts? Would you probably be happy without Stephen King (I don't like him) AND without Stephen Spielberg AND without Andy Warhol AND without Madonna?
          No, I surely do not need that much military. I need other things instead. Come to think of it, where is "3-fields-agriculture"? (don't have a better word for it) AND I'm not eating the same bread ancient Egyptians and Romans ate.
          Bye, Dirk
          "Dirks and Daggers."
          Bye, Dirk
          "Dirks and Daggers"

Comment

I do think that this has nothing to do with the topic, this thread is about the art of war, I do agree that civ should be about much more than war, but no country in the world has never lived war and I think it is therefore very important.
            I loved civ2 and I think it is the greatest game that exists, but I want to be able to say: "until civ3" and one of the great mistakes of the was battle.
            OTSO: Thank you, I know that airpower is the most important thing to change, it was the less realistic of all the game concepts in civ2. Take a game like Close Combat 4 (the previous ones didn't have that option), you fight with your men and tanks and you get the option while in combat to ask for an air strike and an artillery fire, this is good, these units never enter combat, they only shoot, they have no way of getting hurt, and this is the same in real life. However, cities should not be allowed to be taken only by tanks. Here's another historical example: when the Hungarians rebelled against the USSR in 1956, they managed to destroy 200 tanks with no tanks of their own nor artillery, they only used Molotov cocktails, this could not happen in the same size if they had sent infantry amonst the tanks, which they did later and crushed the poor Hungarians to death.

Comment

I agree totally about the aeral warefare. this feature actually sucks in Civ2 . ( yes I know . I said it . something does suck in CIV) aeral units should be asigned to patroll ( and when I say it I dont mean Unit icons moving around , but I mean like lines that look similar to the trade routs in CTP (btw BRAVO Activison!))and if a plane gets into those squares he is 90% to get cought AND intercepted 100% if a radar is present and
              -50% to the original rate if its a stealth one . and in adjacent squares 60% . 80% with a radar -60% to the original rate if its stealth . so then you can say : so what do we need SAMs for ? and the answer is we wont have them as units , but as tile improvements

------------------
              -------------------
              Enslave the enemy .
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

I agree, I think that your ideas are pretty good, and I think it is nice to have detection from both airplanes and radar sites, but I do not know if your percentage is actually the best one.
                I think that earlier planes (such as fighters and bombers, which, btw were not that developped in CTP) should have a lower chance to see an enemy plane, as they only relied on visual contact. But the more modern aiplanes such as jets might have radar and therefore be able to spot enemy planes more easily (you would, of course, have to research radar before jet engine) and the more modern airbases may be affected with long range radar and AWACS to spot the enemy from further away. As for stealth planes, I think a more realistic percentage would be to be spotted at 10% chance maximum, they are almost impossible to see (again, they could be spotted by visual contact).

Comment

well thats true General... I havent thought about it , I must admit . thnx ... btw read my posts in democracy and war thread . ok ? I've posted there a nice idea about how to make democratic civs unhappy because of a war .... also I have posted there a definition of mine to full scale war ( a matematic formula , actually ) . if you have comments general , plz contact me on ICQ or via E-mail.

P.S. I havent given 2 much thought to the percentage . I guess you are right.

------------------
                  -------------------
                  Enslave the enemy .
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by general_charles on 04-24-2000 03:50 PM
                    i. This brings me to another point: airpower. I think it was highly unreal in civ2 to have plains the way they were, I mean fighteres could only attack bombers and other fighters while they were in cities, and I think that in order to fix it, there should be something like a zone of intervention for fighters, where the fighters automatically engage any enemy airplanes and where they give support to ground troops either engaging targets or being attacked.
                    [This message has been edited by general_charles (edited April 25, 2000).]

Anyone ever notice the message that says "We have shot down an attempted air lift into..." and "There are enemy fighters near...procced?" This should be greatly expanded.

------------------
                    ~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Comment

I agree ,Orangesfwr : I've noticed that my airlifts were shot down ... but never mind that.... that should also be included by I'd like to be able to plan my airlifts like that they wont be usually shut down ( far from borders ) but another thing ... research should be invested in upgradin the flight range .... and I can pass an unlimited amount of units from an airport to another airport or an airfield ... I think that airbases should be considered airports too and airports shouldn't be included in the game as city improvements but as tile improvements ... and they will give trade in HUGE amounts but the city will be restricted to have only one that its using ///

but ... I am changing the topic ...

about the topic : the most important thing to improve is air warefare . that's it !

P.S. how about sending fighters and bombers in one block as its possible in CTP ... and then the fighters will defend the bombers ...

------------------
                      -------------------
                      Enslave the enemy .
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

I like that a lot. How does a bomber defend itself anyway? It really can't so what you said is good.

------------------
                        ~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Comment

Well, thank you for being so interested in air power, I think that it is very important to have air power, and the more fighters you have, the more effective should be your attacks. I think that the way bombers are used in civ2 is the worst kind of air manipulation. I think that bombers should have three choices when attacking:
                          - choose to attack military targets, airfields, barracks, units garrisoned, etc...
                          - choose to attack indutrial targets, manufactoring plants, solar plants, rafinery, factory, why not even nuclear plants, with the risk to have a meltdown...
                          - civilian targets, mainly kills population and makes them even more unhappy

BTW, I have noticed those airlifts shot down, but do you think it is realistic? Do you think that today, bombers can just infiltrate enemy airspace without use of fighters? Do you think that bombers should be allowed to destroy all of the armies of one country??? We have seen that it was not the case in Kosovo, while the cease fire agreement was signed, the serbs withdrew their armies almost untouched...

Well, I'd like to hear more about the joint fighter-bomber attack of CTP...

Comment

I've got a new idea. Suppose you've got a catapult and a pikeman. I'll just call them C and P to make this go quicker. OK

C attacks P. C inflicts some damage, but DOES NOT necessarily kill P. This sort of simulates the catapults throwing a rock. Then, on the next turn, the P comes up ready for orders. It can either move away, or do a counterstrike on the C.
                            Lets say it decides to do a counterstrike. It attacks the C to take advantage of its weak defense. This sort of simulates the pikemen charging the catapults.

The units with higher defense factors would resist damage better, and the higher attack factors would make the unit attack better (duh) This fixes the 'fight to the death' problem that I have seen posts about. This also promotes use of units like Alpine troops, who have both good attack and defense.

------------------
                            Long live the Communists!
                            -- SilverDragon

Comment

Another thing:

The bomber attack is totally wrong. If a bomber is going to attack city A, and city A has a fighter in it, the fighter justs sits there in the city until the bomber comes. Then if it fights the bomber, the bomber will beat it. That is so unrealistic. In a real air war, the bomber would be blasted to pieces by the fighter, which would come attack the bomber around the time the bomber gets into the city radius.

I think if bombers come into the radius of a city with a fighter, the fighter should automatically come out and destroy it. But STEALTH bombers shouldn't be recognized by fighters, because the fighter wouldn't see it until too late

Comment

Working...
                              X