Kamikaze!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hagbart
    BTW to Thrawn: No probs with huge maps? I have a p3-550 too and I have probs! Why?
    In order to keep this threat in topic, I will PM you shortly my answer.
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

PM me too, i have a 450 and i have to wait about 1 min!
      Help negate the vegiterian movement!
      For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

i'd like to see a "kamakazie" button that doubles the range of a REGULAR fighter (any aircraft), not a special unit.

In civ2 you could kamakazie your fighters all you wanted to.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
          i'd like to see a "kamakazie" button that doubles the range of a REGULAR fighter (any aircraft), not a special unit.

In civ2 you could kamakazie your fighters all you wanted to.

Or just double all the values. And degrees the interception chance by a 1/3.

Hazie: I'll work on... it's late right now and I just noticed it.
          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Japanese kamikazes were a DESPERATION measure that came late in World War Two.

Unless Civ 3 breaks down into monthly turns it really is unrealistic to have them as they lasted in fact for a very short time.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
              Unless Civ 3 breaks down into monthly turns it really is unrealistic to have them as they lasted in fact for a very short time.
              I would like that. Have modern age take 12 turns to do a full year. So turn A would be 1941.12, B: 1942.01, C: 1942.02, ect.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05

Those were the days.

I'm leaning towards having Firaxis go back to that system if they won't increase the range beyond 8 in the editor.
                Yes, those Civ 2 days. How we miss them.

Bombers in Civ 3 are a pain for many reasons besides being relatively ineffective and having much too short a range.

In Civ 2 bombers could INTERDICT tiles. In otherwords, you could leave your bomber on a tile and unles it could be shot down the enemy could not move onto it. This was very useful for invasions.

Try interdicting the area around a planned invasion site now with Civ 3! You would need WAVES of bombers trying to destroy the roads and RR's, if not shot down.

That, combined with the crazy unlimited MP's on RR's, makes invasions very difficult to succeed owing to the counterattack.

Comment

Bombers in Civ 3 are a pain for many reasons besides being relatively ineffective and having much too short a range.

In Civ 2 bombers could INTERDICT tiles. In otherwords, you could leave your bomber on a tile and unles it could be shot down the enemy could not move onto it. This was very useful for invasions.

Try interdicting the area around a planned invasion site now with Civ 3! You would need WAVES of bombers trying to destroy the roads and RR's, if not shot down.

That, combined with the crazy unlimited MP's on RR's, makes invasions very difficult to succeed owing to the counterattack.
                  Pretty sweet, but I must admit, I never played Civ2 . I do play Civ1 for the SNES, and I like the air combat on that.

Jets move, destroy a target, and must return within the same turn to a city or carrier, or city to carrier or vise versa.

Bombers take up to 2 turns in the air. Which means they can move I think 16 tiles, and then the turn move another 16.

That system I liked.

It's good to be the KING!

Comment

why dont you go back to it then?

and yes, after the continuing lack of replies to my posts, i can post my favorite part of the song that was obviously written for coracle, even if he probably wasnt born at the time
                    Brave Sir Robin ran away,
                    Bravely ran away, away.
                    When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled.
                    Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
                    And gallantly, he chickened out. Bravely taking to his feet,
                    He beat a very brave retreat,
                    Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin.

you'll find the first part in previous posts of mine
                    Last edited by MarkG; August 20, 2002, 03:26.
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

You should expect a PM on the morrow.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

morrow?
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

On the morrow = Tomorrow.

Sorry, 'talking' with too many Brits lately, must have activated a recessive gene.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The idea is interesting, but it should have limitations:
                            • the plane must have enough mouvement points to reach the city,
                            • the success rate should only be a little better than bombardement if the plane hits the city without being intercepted/destroyed by SAM or fighter.
                            Nym
                            "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Originally posted by vondrack

fittstim,

the Japanese used kamikaze pilots en mass throughout the late WW2, when desperately trying to stop the US from reaching the Japanese homeland. It was not just a few of them, they were ending their lives in hundreds. Also, the Japanese cities did not appear to rise up and rebel because of that, if you mention it. Actually, becoming a kamikaze was highly esteemed in the Japanese society. It had to do much with the cultural background of the nation.
                              Were you drunk when you wrote that or are you really that confused about world history?

The Japanese did not use kamikaze plane "en masse". This is a military fact. Their claim to fame is the "TERROR" that they caused in the soldiers opposing them. Much like suicide bombers in Israel. They were, however, not as popular or common as their claim to fame would have one believe.

Saying that there were "hundreds" of them is a joke compared to the TENS OF MILLIONS of soldiers fighting in the war.

Becoming a kamikaze pilot was definitely NOT an esteemed act within the society. When the generals realized that many of the supposed "kamikaze" pilots weren't actually killing themselves but bailing out (usually too early so that the plane crashed into the ocean), they enacted a policy of welding the pilot within the canopy so that escape was not possible. The samurai/bushi mentality encouraged bravery and honor in battle. Not exactly what people think of when they hear about kamikaze (or suicide bombers).

The sad fact was that the Japanese pilots were getting shot down/killed at an unsustainable rate. The kamikaze idea was sheer desperation because they were out of skilled pilots.

Side note: There were several "kamikaze" pilots who actually survived? Strange but true fact...

Comment

5 thousand men and aircraft are not an insignificant number. Especially the aircraft.

Sinking or damaging hundreds of allied (American) ships is not insignificant either.

How many kamikaze missions at Okinawa alone?

Are you drunk, or just mad that someone has an opinion different from yours?
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X