Addicted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addicted

I have been away from my computer for 5 days and am starting to think of civ all the time. It is almost like a drug, I need to play now. Anyone else suffer from this?

Reading stories about the situation in the mideast vis a vis Iraq makes me want to fire up the computer and start some wars.

I have been playing the game until 2AM for the past three nights. Now I really need a break and get some sleep.

Comment

Its funny how the game works. I get burned out and take a few days off and then really crave it again. It's like coming down from a high from a drug. After I play for awhile and am winning a game I might get bored with it. Sometimes when the tedium kicks inn and the game is all but won.

Then I feel guilty that I stayed up all night or "wasted" all this time and promise to stop doing this wasteful behavior..then after a day or two I start wanting to kick ghandi's ass again and I can't help myself.

Then I crave it again, I like the start of games when you found new cities and expand your empire..it seems the game starts to get less fun maybe late industiral age...and I feel guilty I stayed up so long and was unable to pull myself away from the pc.

But I still crave it. If multi player is done right and playable..I dunno if I will be able to leave my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Artifex
        Its funny how the game works. I get burned out and take a few days off and then really crave it again. It's like coming down from a high from a drug. After I play for awhile and am winning a game I might get bored with it. Sometimes when the tedium kicks inn and the game is all but won.

Then I feel guilty that I stayed up all night or "wasted" all this time and promise to stop doing this wasteful behavior..then after a day or two I start wanting to kick ghandi's ass again and I can't help myself.

Then I crave it again, I like the start of games when you found new cities and expand your empire..it seems the game starts to get less fun maybe late industiral age...and I get depressed that I maybe wasted time..

But I still crave it. If multi player is done right and playable..I dunno if I will be able to leave my computer.
        Am'I looking into a mirror?!?
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Lord Merciless,

That sounds like my week... I'm a zombie. I'm barely functioning. *yawn* I got up this morning, looked at my miserable self in the mirror, and decided I would go to bed when I get home tonight. But then I got to thinking about playing a new game as Japan (I'm overdosing on China... and I miss my 1 turn revolutions). How much you wanna bet the first thing I do when I get home is turn on the computer?

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

i said ti a bunch of times. no matter how many flaws i see in civ3 i'm too addicted to not play. i know i'm getting PTW, not just in hopes of it being a better game, not just for MP, because i am hopelessly obsessed, and yes, addicted to this game.

(the civ3 cd is laced with LSD, each time you touch it you start tripping)
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Touch the CD? That would mean removing it from the drive!

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

we need to start a civ3 treatment center.
                ive had many a night where i played untill 3 or 4 am only to wake up 3 hours later, blurry eyes and all, and start up the game i was playing.
                i have a fear that MP will be the end of my wifes patience with me.
                im glad to hear that im not alone in my addiction

Comment

OK, my confession here... I am just the same poor addict like every one of you, guys. I often keep playing until 4am (several times, I went to bed, when my girlfriend was leaving in the morning, around 7am...). My only advantage is that I am running my own business from my home, so I can sleep longer, if needed...

Yes, I do have those guilt feelings, too. My will is usually strong enough to keep me from playing, if there is some serious job to be done. But as soon as there is nothing urgent and it's 8pm... I say to myself, well, you won't do much more today anyway, so why not trying that fine idea by (insert any well known name here) you read at Apolyton. Just two three hours... then it's 3am and I know I should be going to bed, because if I won't, I will sleep until 9:30am, barely starting anything productive before noon... I force myself to shut the comp down at 4am... and the next day, I simply feel the need to finish the game... to see how high I can push my nurtured civ...

Perhaps the worst thing I did was to install Civ3 with the no-CD crack. As long as it was at least necessary to open the tin box, pull the disk out of the sleeve and insert it into the drive (I use various CDs while working, so I can't keep the Civ3 CD in the drive all the time), I was sometimes able to waive it and better go to bed... but now, it is just click (Start Menu), click (Games), click (Civ III). Takes less than two seconds. That's a real killer...

Finishing a game of epic proportions, I almost feel sick of the game and think like "I am fed up for months... okay, not, for a month..." And yet it takes no more than a couple of days and I feel like playing again... it definitely is a drug...

Also, Civ3 is the best thing when I need to relieve my mind of sad or difficult thoughts like the flooding thing these days... It's perhaps the only occupation that is able to fully occupy my mind, making me forget about everything else.

Artifex, Arrian, alva, reffer addict... you are not alone, guys. I guess this forum is full of us...

Comment

I can't beat the JOMTS whenever I start playing the game. Fortunately, I won't get into any trouble if I show up at work before 10AM.

Comment

I try to hide my addiction from my wife. I go to bed with her and when she falls alseep I go down stairs and play. The dark circles under my eyes and her now frequent bathroom breaks (8 months pregnant) have made this impossible to pull off lately.

But my true sign of addiction...

Have you every been playing on Friday or Saturday night while your drinking. I'm so addicted to civ I'll sit with an open beer and forget to drink it. I've hit rock bottom

Comment

Originally posted by vondrack

Also, Civ3 is the best thing when I need to relieve my mind of sad or difficult thoughts like the flooding thing these days... It's perhaps the only occupation that is able to fully occupy my mind, making me forget about everything else.
                        That might be the best virtue of the Civ type games. I can't think of any other form of recreation (except 1 maybe) that totally occupies my mind. When I'm in the middle of a game girls, work, the news are all lost - and let me tell you, its good to take a break from that crap.

Comment

Guilty?! How can you feel guilty doing your duty to God and Country? Hurumph. Where's your patriotism? Where's your gumption? Don't you know there's a war on?

Zachriel's Strategy Tips. Complete games and walk-throughs. Learn how to grow your civilization while surviving in a dangerous world.

(In the old days, you would have all been SHOT.)

Comment

And then there's 'poly...
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                              And then there's 'poly...
                              Poly is like methadone. Its a quick fix you get at work until you can go home to the real thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X