Combat Calculations, once and for all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Calculations, once and for all

Before there are any more threads complaining about combat results, I'd like to strongly suggest that people play around a little with one of the Civ3 combat calculators.

Sheik just posted a link to one on CFC that I had not seen before, and I think is the bomb (it lets you calculate for Armies!!):

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Alas, still nothing for mixed armies.

I want a simple easy way to calculate the odds of my elite swordsman, veteran musketman, veteran infantry army attacking a veteran rifleman fortified in a metropolis in full-blown resistance on grassland across a river.

And would my odds be significantly improved if I threw a regular longbowman into the army?

Catt

Comment

Ahhhh Catt, but you already know the answer to that! The Longbowman is THE premier unit to add to any army (especially once you hit the modern age!).

Doing so will add untold layers of subtle strategy to your game, and make you all but invincible....

-=Vel=-
      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Disbeliever scum!!!

I WOULD do a Sword+Longbow+Musket, and later add the Infantry.

But really, I'm thrilled they even included Armies at all, including accounting for up to 15 hps... although 20 would be nice.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Neat calculator. Says a Man-O-War will kill a Stealth Bomber 100% of the time.

Firaxis has given us a hell of a game.

Comment

jimmyt, of course it will. The stealth bomber has ZERO defense! OTOH, the chance of a Man-O-War intercepting the stealth bomber (or any other air unit) .....

ANY tool can be misused and abused. It just takes an appropriate user.

Comment

i would have to disagree with the calc. it says that an army of elite modern armor always beats a conscript unfortified spearman sitting on a grassland tilse.

Comment

It must do some rounding then, zorbop. Nothing is 100% (except against stealth aircraft).

Comment

I thought I would fuel the mixed army debate by providing a simple combat calculator that works with armies.

So here you go, Theseus. You show'em!
                  Attached Files

Comment

alexman is da man!!!

Quick one, as I'm hosting a party that's about to start:

2x elite Sword Army
                    vs. vet Spearman w/35% bonus:
                    73.95%

2x elite Sword + 1 Musket
                    vs. vet Spearman w/35% bonus:
                    87.06%

alexman, does the defender bonus box work if the Army is on defense?

Comment

Yes, the defender bonus applies to whomever is not the attacker.

Originally posted by Catt
                      I want a simple easy way to calculate the odds of my elite swordsman, veteran musketman, veteran infantry army attacking a veteran rifleman fortified in a metropolis in full-blown resistance on grassland across a river.

And would my odds be significantly improved if I threw a regular longbowman into the army?

Catt
                      No problem! That would be a 35% chance of winning in the first case, and 50% when you throw in the longbowman
                      Last edited by alexman; August 15, 2002, 18:34.

Comment

Originally posted by zorbop
                        i would have to disagree with the calc. it says that an army of elite modern armor always beats a conscript unfortified spearman sitting on a grassland tilse.
                        For an unfortified spearman to win against a modern armor 4 times in one combat is .08^4 = 0.004096%. The spearman has to win 5 out of 6 to win, so I would understand if a combat calculator did a little rounding in this case.

(MA has 92% chance to win each round)

Comment

Awesome...

Knight attacks
                          2x elite Sword Army w/10% bonus:
                          Army wins 84.12%

Knight attacks
                          2x elite Sword + 1 vet Musket Army w/10% bonus:
                          Army wins 97.12%

(assuming the Knight even attacks)

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus

I WOULD do a Sword+Longbow+Musket,
                            I actually built one like that once. "Surprisingly resilient." Didn't add the infantry, though.

Ironically, a city flip creates a Great Leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachriel

I actually built one like that once. "Surprisingly resilient." Didn't add the infantry, though.
                              I remember... I complimented you on it at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X