Prima's upcoming strategy guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prima's upcoming strategy guide

Has anyone heard anything about this upcoming stategy guide? Prima doesn't list it yet on their website, primagaming.com, but Electronic Boutique shows an October 23rd release date. I think the game manual is pretty weak (especially the index) and am hoping the strat guide is better (how can it not be??) but with several major patches released over the last couple of months how up-to-date will the Prima guide be? I know the Civ II strat guide like the back of my hand and hope the Civ III guide lives up to it
    A penny saved today is a penny spent tomorrow. - MFDII

Upcoming? It came out when the game did.

It was out of date then. Read here. When Strat guides become what they once were then they might be worth buying again. None has been in a long while.

Comment

Good point! I misread the EB page

Ethelred,

Thanks for the heads up on the Civ III strat guide. I had been poking around the EB website and was looking at the upcoming PTW stuff and noticed a listing for the strat guide - it was for the EXPANSION... My bad. Went to Amazon and did a search and sure enough there has been a guide from day one's November 2001 game release. Your point about strat guides in right on the money. They aren't what they used to be. Ahh, the good ol days of Master of Magic - now that was a strat guide - and a hell of a game. Bill Gates sucks!
      A penny saved today is a penny spent tomorrow. - MFDII

Comment

Ah yes. Prima gets there with their guide before the game gets finished.

sboog

Comment

So *that* would explain the general low-worth.
          Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

Regarding the state of game guides.

Former game guide writer and former head of the Master of Orion 3 project has a page on their state of decline.

Discover the latest breaking news in CA and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

By the way I checked out other parts of the site. Nothing there about MOO3.

Comment

I guess it depends on the kind of game. The Baldurs Gate 2 guide was very helpful because most of its advice was about the plot - presumably written months in advance - and the AD&D rules that were unlikely to significantly change since the Infinity engine was an established tool. For Civ III with new rules subject to change at the last minute its clearly a different story. Fortunately I've never felt the need to buy a strategy guide for its strategies - just browsed the book or looked on the net for information about how to find the easter eggs or unintuitive special events in RPG's.
              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
              H.Poincaré

Comment

I think there are more strategies posted on this site and the CivFanatic site than any comercial strategy guide. Me thinks the Prima's Strategy Guide is a waste of money.

Comment

I for one, can hardly wait to rush right out and buy it! Prima's guides are known for their depth and accuracy....

-=Vel=-
                  (NOT!)
                  The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Working...
                  X