A round world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A round world

I have thought of an idea to make it possible to create a world shaped as in reality.

If every map square is shaped like a equilateral trinagle it is possible to create
    a round world. I think. I haven't tested it in reality yet. Only in my mind.

Just a thought...
    It will ofcourse be problematic with unit movements (But i hate the these clumsy units anyway).
    stuff

How about hexagons instead of triangles?

"L33T Master must not eat 'scuzzy' things from trash. Not healthy. Give bad gas." - MegaTokyo
    "Horses can not be Astronaughts..." - A Servbot

Comment

If u have six triangles they form a hexagon
      stuff

Comment

Nah I prefer the good ol' flat world we all know and love

------------------
        Cockney used to be schizophereic but we'er ok now
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I never understood why you could move all the way around the world horizontally but not vertically. the north and south poles aren't the edges of the world....

------------------
          ~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Comment

I definitely would like a round world, however, I don't know how this could be done. Triangles? nah, I like the good old squares. But as OrangeSfwr pointed out the North- and South-poles aren't the end of the world and -though a Warrior, Elephant, Chariot or something like that couldn't possibly survive it- going south while on the south pole should get you to the opposite side of the world, still on the south pole of course. Also going round the world horizontally should be longer on the equator than near the poles. Unfortunately this maybe isn't such an easy task technically.

Comment

CTP had something called a "doughnut world" map. It allowed units to cross the poles, but it made the map look weird and work rather unrealisticly. I think Joe's idea sounds very functional and easy to implement.

Comment

Of course, you could get a fairly good simulation of a round world by doing the following:
                Remove any unit that moved off the north or south edge of the map and allow it to reenter the map on any square of the same side they left. So if you went north directly above North America you could come down over Europe or Asia or any other point on the north pole.

Now, I think this would best be restricted to air units as I don't think (even today) any signifigant military force could cross the poles. In my opinion allowing any land unit (except maybe an `explorer') to use this option would be rather silly, but I suppose it could be a selectable option.

With this system you could really launch your nukes over the poles like the U.S. and U.S.S.R would have done.

It strikes me as clean and fairly simple without introducting any really weird shaped spaces or taxing computers with a full 3D globe.

Joe
                [This message has been edited by Joe Bourque (edited April 30, 2000).]
                Joe Bourque

Comment

A 3d world has been done in other games, but none of them had detail ground tile like civ does. Maybe have zoom fuction to start with a round world and then move in to the flat world with open poles.

Comment

Working...
                  X