Strategic Resources: Something new I learned today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategic Resources: Something new I learned today

It's only taken me 12 games but I've just discovered that even if you modify the terrain (eg clear a jungle) this will not later affect whether a strategic resource will appear on that tile or not. Previously I'd be leaving a lot of jungle tiles in my cities early in the game because I thought if I cut down the jungle, that tile would not be able to later produce rubber or coal when Steam Engine/Replaceable Parts is discovered. (It kind of made sense - if a tile is now grassland, how could a rubber resource appear there?) But judging by my present game it looks like the rubber will still appear on a cleared square. So, a lot of my citizens needlessly died of Jungle Disease because I hadn't been cutting down jungles early on.

Just passing on this info in case it helps newcomers to the game, not to mention other people like me who are a bit slow on the the uptake!

At the start of the game, the resources are placed.
    Whatever happens to the game later does not infect that.

Even global warming that changes the terrain won't have the resource to be removed.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

The only time the recorces move is if over work them
      I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
        At the start of the game, the resources are placed.
        Whatever happens to the game later does not infect that.
        Are you sure about that?

I would not expect that coal or rubber would appear on "cleared jungle squares (i.e. squares that were once jungle but were cleared to grassland) once the required tech is discovered later in the game.

Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

The Puny Celt and Deathwalker confirmed it, I think.
          And I confirm it again.

And I just did it again.

and again.
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Deathwalker:
            As Soren stated some time ago, there is no connection between using a resource and having it disappear.

Disappearances are pure random events based on the values in the editor.

Comment

I confirm Puny Celt's observation, too.

OTOH, I am not sure if what Todd says is right. I believe that a resource may disappear ONLY if it is connected to your road network. THEN, it is a purely random event based on the editor setting, that's correct. But IIRC, I have never had a resource disappear, unless it was connected (the game even says "...was exhausted." How could a resource be exhausted, if it was not used?).

Todd, would you be able to find the Soren's post you mention?

Comment

In fact I am not. Sorry.
                Either it was in a chat or I am mistaken here. Just to be on the save side I advise you to assume the latter.

But I found a post from Soren about the terrain change question:

Comment

IMHO, it would be better if rubber didn't appear on cleared jungle, I would favor realism over balance on this issue. Besides, I feel the whole point of having resources is gone if one can't have, for instance, a rubber monopoly. Also, the resource-exhausted-thing shouldn't be random.

Comment

vondrack is correct. Resources won't disappear until they are connected to a road net. After this, they use the random numbers set in the editor to determine when they disappear. I've done controlled tests to prove this to my satisfaction. So, if you want to keep your rubber monopoly, disconnect some roads.

A resource when reappearing (as opposed to it being there all along and you not realizing what it was due to lack of tech), will not appear on currently inappropriate terrain.

Half an hour with the 1.29 editor can build these tests, if you want to check for yourself.
                    Seemingly Benign
                    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Now correct me if I am wrong, but when a resource does disappear from one spot due to overuse, another resource of the same type usually appears somewhere else within a turn or two.

I know at one point I'd created a scenerio with doubled resource occurence, and resources like oil would disappear and reappear quite a bit. I saw a number of turns that started with me losing a resource only to have a new strike discovered in the same square mear seconds later.

Also, if you look at the default values for resources in the editor, horses and rubber are not set to disappear due to overuse. All of the other strategic resources can disappear. None of the luxury resources are set to disappear, either, though someone could set them that way if they wanted to. (Which could make for an interesting scenerio game. hmmm....)

And, of course, the appearance/disappearance ratios of bonus resources aren't adjustable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleyn
                        And, of course, the appearance/disappearance ratios of bonus resources aren't adjustable.
                        You can give them a disappearance ratio - change them to strategic, edit the ratio, then switch back to bonus. The ratio gets greyed out, so I've no idea if it actually is considered in the game. (I was toying with the editor, not actually setting up play)
                        The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                        intelligence to few.

Comment

If a resource disappears, it reappears elsewhere that very turn. Sometimes it will reappear on the same tile, which I think is hilarious.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

always amusing when you get a tech that reveals a resource on map and then that resource is used up that turn before you even have a chance to do anything with it.

"hey boys, isn't that iron over there?"
                            "no don't look, don't look!!"
                            "damn, i looked. it's all used up now. blast"

Comment

As I understand it, the resources are placed at the begining of the game so improvements will not affect their appearance (at first).

And there are always X number of a resource on the map at any given time. So when 1 disapears, it does reapear somewhere else that same turn. (Yes, it's amusing when it comes back to the same tile)

One thing I am unsure about: What about Nuclear teraforming? A nuke can make desert out of just about anything--even freshwater tiles. Would this prevent a resourse from showing up?
                              "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X