Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The AI is that good, it's like you're playing against humans!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwitchMoO
    Yeah, I agree, negotiations need work. Who would've thought that 20 gold for 20 gold would be absurd?
    Cybershy, sorry for this... I know you dreamed of a better thread... but I can't help myself... Is there anyone else considering swapping 20 gold for 20 gold absurd? Useless? Or is it just me?

Comment

I suppose that it's just the principle of the thing.
      Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

I think swapping 20 gold for 20 gold is indeed absurd.
        I would declare war to everyone who tries that on me.

Geeez, what do they think..............
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

why is it that i cant even talk to the attacking ai for the first 5-10 turns, but my allies whom i've given a kings ransom to support me, can make peace the next turn? i do wish it was possible to trade cities. if i have 2 of your cities, i should be able to trade it for one of mine. Also, i gave a city to an ally, and they went from polite to annoyed. ungrateful allies.....

Comment

The Ai won't talk with you as long as there's violent because you and him. Keep 1 - 3 turns of violentless turns, and things will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ALPHA WOLF 64
              why is it that i cant even talk to the attacking ai for the first 5-10 turns, but my allies whom i've given a kings ransom to support me, can make peace the next turn?
              Well in the case of the allies I suspect it may be what Cybershy is talking about. They haven't done anything hostile for a while or yet. As for waiting 5 to 10 turns that is because of the exploitation that was going on in the original version of the game. Players were going to war to get a quick victory and a crushing peace treaty. Then they would do it again. Now they have to deal with the consequences of their actions. It was bad enough that the exploiters thought it was a bad situation.

Comment

great i had all my trolling weaponry armed.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

The AI doesnt seem to want to come to the negotiating table unless it suits them... I have had the AI contact me for peace in a few wars, but if my civ is wracked by civil unrest the AI seems to know and wont answer my calls for peace.... I hate that especially when the Damn AI started the war and my people still get into unrest ...
                  GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

.EDIT: DATABASE PROBLEMS CAUSED DOUBLE POST
                    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
                      , but if my civ is wracked by civil unrest the AI seems to know and wont answer my calls for peace....
                      Its not hard to tell if the AI has that problem. Its tedious but not hard. You just have to check what goverment type they have. If they are in anarchy its likely they just collapsed from war weariness or are trying to avoid it. You can see the burning cities as well before the collapse occurs.

Comment

Re: The AI is that good, it's like you're playing against humans!!

Originally posted by CyberShy

About that AI, it's combat strategies are indeed good,
                        but I'm not that satisfied about it's negotiation capacities....
                        Trying to snatch a Civ3 developer on your hook eh?

While we're discussing the subject of AI diplomacy it's a good idea to bring up Freeciv. As you know (if you read my column) FC doesn't have diplomacy currently, but ideas and views (mostly on effective rules and balanced gamemodels) and how to implement it (AI code design) are welcome.
                        --
                        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
                          The AI doesnt seem to want to come to the negotiating table unless it suits them... I have had the AI contact me for peace in a few wars, but if my civ is wracked by civil unrest the AI seems to know and wont answer my calls for peace....
                          Well, you know it cheats and is omniscient.

About the AI coming to the table. . . It is always irritating when you keep taking a civ's towns and cities, but they won't meet you, or, if they do, won't make peace accept on a treaty for treaty basis! If I request something to call off my successful attacks the stupid AI insults me, and eventually gets wiped out except for an island town far away.

Well, maybe it's not so dumb; perhaps this is just another cheat in which a civ sacrifices itself to help its brother civs pass the human in techs and improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle

Well, you know it cheats and is omniscient.
                            No one including the designers know this Coracle. You think it but can't even support your claim.

About the AI coming to the table. . . It is always irritating when you keep taking a civ's towns and cities, but they won't meet you, or, if they do, won't make peace accept on a treaty for treaty basis! If I request something to call off my successful attacks the stupid AI insults me, and eventually gets wiped out except for an island town far away.
                            Perhaps they know you think they are omniscent and don't want to surrender to someone that thinks they are inferior. More likely though you have been breaking your treaties left and right thus making the AI consider you to be unreliable. If you start keeping your treaties you will find the AI a lot more cooperative. Your unwillingness to learn these things is the real source of your thinking that the AI is omniscent.

Comment

CapTV: While we're discussing the subject of AI diplomacy it's a good idea to bring up Freeciv. As you know (if you read my column) FC doesn't have diplomacy currently, but ideas and views (mostly on effective rules and balanced gamemodels) and how to implement it (AI code design) are welcome.

did you follow the link I came with?
                              I putted some suggestions in that thread.

Comment

It is always irritating when you keep taking a civ's towns and cities, but they won't meet you, or, if they do, won't make peace accept on a treaty for treaty basis! If I request something to call off my successful attacks the stupid AI insults me, and eventually gets wiped out except for an island town far away.

I really don't experience ANY of your problems.
                                When I'm slaughtering the AI, and we have contact, they always want to make a fair peace deal.

Pherhaps you're in a situation where the AI is actually beating you. In that case I completely understand why it won't accept peace.

Pherhaps you're playing on a level above your capacities? No offense, but I really don't experience any of the problems you come up with all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X