No announcement yet.

About nationalities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Rasputin00 in that the civ that you chose to play should have no bearing on how you play strategically, what you or cities shall be named and not be limited to a 'faction'. Again, the goal of the game is to win and have fun. Renaming a civ in the rules.txt to 'Swedes' and renaming all of your cities to your home area is very cool. On civ characteristics, there should be no advances that are off-limits (bonus techs are a good idea though). I would hate to think that I can't research a specific tech due to it being off-limit to my civ, thus preventing me from winning.

Comment

I agree with Steve Clark. Further, the original topic suggestion, of having each civilization be stronger in a specific social trait, seems uncomfortably close to the idea that certain "races" of humanity possess certain traits. The way that it is right now, any civilization can develop in any way the player wants, is best.

Comment

Hi all! it's been a long time since I post something in here, the last time might have been at the new ideas forum for CTP.

Atahualpa is right, we finns don't like if someone called us swedes, russians, or even vikings. Finland is completely different. Our culture is scandinavian, capitalized and material somewhat like yours in US, Canada, Australia, England and other "western-countries" but the people look different from eg. the swedes. The language is something you can't find anywhere else. The grammar is a bit similar to hungarian but almost all the words are our own, small amount taken from swedish or russia. I'm nationalistic but not too much, I'm Finnish not European. I know it's just a bit over 5 million of over 6 billion people living on this planet, but it sounds like you in "America" could replace all the civs in Europe with only one, The Europeans. And please don't fill up the empty areas of the map with Brazil or Australia etc. Use native people for that. The idea of having a civilization to break up into other civs is great. That just doesn't really work with the countries of Europe, especially not Finland. Rather leave Finnish out of the game than let them continue after Russia or the Vikings loose. Finland is not a nation whose people were sometime a real part of some other nation, two countries, first sweden then russia just happened to occupy this piece of land the finns were living in. None of the finns ever thought they were swedish or russian.

Every country I've been to (almost every country in Europe, only some in south eastern Europe unvisited.) is different from the others. I bet everyone who lives in Europe feels the same way.

Maybe Firaxis could make Europe larger, or make the squares smaller in Europe. CTP went way over the line when they put eg. Jamaica to the game, Firaxis, don't over do it!! I'm actually happy about the civs in civ2. In Civ2 if I want to play Finnish, I can always take Vikings, change the name of the tribe and walk a few squares with my settler, then press "B" and build a city named "Helsinki"

There you have some info about Finland..
        I didn't intend to offend anyone, if I did I apologize. This whole subject just feels really irritating sometimes.

-werewolf
        [This message has been edited by ts (edited April 11, 2000).]
        Live your life like you've got nothing to loose... if you don't.. When you're 10 years older you'll understand why.

Comment

dont we already have ability to use custom name for civs ??? why doe sthis need adding to civ 3 ...

perhpas you want ability to name all your oponents in SP .. a i play MP I always choose custom civ and dont care about name si fighting against...

And i change all my city names to my names using RENAME option... I dont bother with city list in citys.txt

Comment

the only thing you need real civs for is when you're playing on Earth. You have all the real starting locations ready, and sometimes it's fun to re-write the history.
            Live your life like you've got nothing to loose... if you don't.. When you're 10 years older you'll understand why.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
              Make civs totally customizable like factions in Alpha. That way we could add to the civs that you can choose from. It would also be cool if Firaxis released a civ a month and a map or scenario that we can play on every week after release. It would keep my interest high in the game.
              Good luck getting Firaxis to make such things for free!
              "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
              "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Originally posted by JellyDonut
                Good luck getting Firaxis to make such things for free!
                Maybe your right but it was Firaxis that said they are working on SimGolf so they could learn from Maxis on how to build an online community. Releasing some scenarios and custom civs from time to time would help do that after release.

By the way, why did you respond to a post I made over ten months ago?
                About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
                  By the way, why did you respond to a post I made over ten months ago?
                  Just felt like reviving an old thread and seeing if anybody noticed.
                  "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
                  "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                    And as for Austria, just include it as own civ and name it "Austria-Hungary" and it can break into Hungarians, Yugoslawians, Czech and Austrians.

ATa
                    Hey, you hold YOUR horses! Yugoslavs are SLAVS, not Austrians or Germans.
                    ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
                    ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

Originally posted by Cybergod

Hey, you hold YOUR horses! Yugoslavs are SLAVS, not Austrians or Germans.
                      Well, the Hungarians aren't Germans, Austrians or Yugoslavians. Firaxis should have included the Swiss, they'd be perfect since there aren't any.

David
                      "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

Re: About nationalities

Originally posted by Stefu
                        While no special abilities should be fixed to civilizations, how about giving them one preferred Soc. Eng setting they will strive for, just like in SMAC, and make them angry to people who have different Soc. Eng setting in that category. For instance, if Greeks strive for Knowledge, they would shun Americans who only want Wealth. I doubt this even would be rasistic, as all examples can be clearly based on history: For instance, Zulus were nation that lived off war (It was their mean of getting cattle) and had huge, well trained standing army. Therefore, logically Zulus would have Power in their values settings.
                        OK, so which civs get which goals? (Going by the SMAC social engineering)

Here are some of my ideas...

English - Power/Democratic
                        The British Empire and the birthplace of modern democracy (Parliament, Magna Carta).

French - Wealth
                        Swine have always been rich

Americans - Free Market/Democratic
                        The first proper democracy and the main capitalist nation. McDonalds anyone?

Zulus - Power/Police State
                        They were militaristic and hardly democratic...

Chinese - Knowledge/Police State
                        Many great inventions and discoveries come from China, as well as a history of oppressive governments.

Greeks - Knowledge/Democratic
                        I don't think anyone can argue here

Romans - Power
                        They were very powerful...

Russians - Power/Planned Economy
                        Soviets...

Japanese - Power/ Free Market
                        Perhaps the most commercially influential Asian nation. And the WW2 thing

Egyptians - Wealth

Any thoughts?

Comment

It’s not who one is but where one is that determines my strategy.

If I my little band starts off as sole occupants of a small island off a large crowded continent I will develop a commercial/scientific approach. But put me on the continent and I'll tend to be more concerned with a strong military and expanding my empire.

Pity we can't chose whom to play after we've found out where we're going to be playing.

David
                          "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by JellyDonut

Just felt like reviving an old thread and seeing if anybody noticed.
                            I was wondering why you were replying to a 1.5 year old thread....

But it looks like no one seems to care.

Comment

Re: Re: About nationalities

Originally posted by red_jon
                              Russians - Power/Planned Economy
                              Soviets...
                              If only there was a conjoined combination between Power and Knowledge...
                              ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
                              ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

Working...
                              X