Treaty breaker? Who? Me?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blake
    I ended up in a strange situation in one game where only ONE civ would trade mixed gold/gpt deals with me, and that was the civ which DID break the original deal with me, so THAT civ knew I wasn't to blame and would continue to trade, but all the other civs just knew I'd broken the deal and wouldn't trade anymore.
    Or atleast I *think* that's what happened.
    Bizzare, anyway.
    So, you understand now the AI is not only stupid but it also cheats? I hope so.

It goes beyond bizarre; it is immensely frustrating and helps kill all the fun of playing the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachriel

The first situation of not delivering promised goods is the correct result. It is not the bank's fault you lost your job and can't pay the bill, or that you thought your brother-in-law was going to come up with those valuable spices for resale, but you already spent the money.
      It actually has never happened to me. Since I'd destroy anybody that gets close to my resources .

But I do not agree with you and since you drew an ovesrimplified example from real life I'll give you another one. Let's think Kuwait about 12 years ago, it gets invaded by Iraq, Kuwait cannot deliver anymore oil to it's trading partners! Now I don't remember anybody getting mad at Kuwait but I do remember very well that about 500k coalition forces from the trading partners came in and kicked the Iraquis out. In your example if I mortgage a house and I loose my job the bank' initial reaction wont ne to get mad at me and refuse to do any business with me but they would discuss it give and depending on the situation give some time to make everything right.

On the other side in game terms I do undertand why they implemented it. YOu can destroy your own roads and thus exploit this to death. But the AI should not be able to only see black and white but also the grey area in btwn!

Coracle: DO you ever get tired of repeatin and repeating and repeatin and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating and repeating ... ...and repeating yourself !
      Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
      Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
      Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Originally posted by The Pioneer
        But I do not agree with you and since you drew an ovesrimplified example from real life I'll give you another one. Let's think Kuwait about 12 years ago, it gets invaded by Iraq, Kuwait cannot deliver anymore oil to it's trading partners! Now I don't remember anybody getting mad at Kuwait but I do remember very well that about 500k coalition forces from the trading partners came in and kicked the Iraquis out.
        Like all analogies, it is for illustration only, so don't take it too literally. But in this case, Kuwait would be considered part of the western sphere of influence and the attack on Kuwait was considered an attack on Western Civ's oil supply. Anyway, it's just a game, so some (a lot!) of abstraction is required.

In your example if I mortgage a house and I loose my job the bank' initial reaction wont ne to get mad at me and refuse to do any business with me but they would discuss it give and depending on the situation give some time to make everything right.
        If you miss a mortgage payment, even just one, you lose your credit (reputation). Don't worry, though, the bank won't nuke your house.

Comment

Originally posted by The Pioneer
          Ok, let's say that I traded my wines with the AI but before the 20 turns are up I get attacked by a third Civ or barbarians who deny me access to the wines. Surely the AI's should understand that it was not my fault, right? Anybody ever noticed what the reaction is if you get yourself in such a predicament?

So long...
          Firaxis really needs to fix that one!
          "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
          Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
          Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
          Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by Zachriel

Like all analogies, it is for illustration only, so don't take it too literally.

If you miss a mortgage payment, even just one, you lose your credit (reputation). Don't worry, though, the bank won't nuke your house.
            I am not, I actually do not advocate that the game be in parity with reality. As for bad credit rating, that's a US issue here in Germany banks and the system are more "humane".

In any case I think the difficulty seems to be that the AI cannot differentiate between the different causes of the disruption!

So long...
            Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
            Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
            Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Yes, it sucks eggs when your deal is 'broken' and not by anything you did or could prevent.

Get Harbors to keep the road pillage thing from breaking your deals. (Of course the AI is VERY slow at building them, so that might not have helped.)

Off Topic: Wow! Coracle didn't mention Culture Flip. He must've been having a bad day.
              "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Working...
              X