Civ3 runs under Linux with Winex 2.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3 runs under Linux with Winex 2.1

Seems the boys at WINE (www.winehq.org ) and Transgaming (www.transgaming.org) have been busy. WINE and Winex can be used to run windows programs (word, excel, games etc..) under Linux. To clarify, Winex is a commercial branch of the original WINE project with special support for games. Winex is based on a monthly subscription model. You get support and special Winex binaries and can vote on general improvements in Winex or what games to support in the next release.

Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

This is frikking great!

Too bad I use BeOs more than Linux nowadays.

Actually.. Good for my hands that I can't play civ3 that much

Comment

Support for Civilization III, version 1.0 and 1.07. Version 1.21 is not yet supported due to copy protection issues.
      Thats not such a big deal, at least its something.
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

As far I know (which is very little ), Civ3 should work on Lindows, perhaps even 1.29f.
        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

wow, this is c00l ;D
          Win98 ERROR 009: Press any key to continue or any other to quit
          f**k the f****n f*****s!
          I'am realy enjoing not talking to you...
          let's not talk again REAL soon...

Comment

The fact if 1.29f will work (probably?) has to do with, ahem, 'patching' it in windows with a no-cd crack. Meanwhile Transgaming has to walk the straight and narrow and has to support the safedisc techniques used.
            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

I have had limited success running it with linux

Comment

Civ 3 on linux on my computer is realy slow! I dont now why?

Is ther any setting to speed it out its reeeeely slowwww!

Comment

Originally posted by Tito
                  Civ 3 on linux on my computer is realy slow! I dont now why?

Is ther any setting to speed it out its reeeeely slowwww!

You'd probably want to do all the same things that are done to make the game run faster in a native Windows environment.

But remember, you are running something using emulation, which means a great deal more processor overhead.
                  If you're wondering why I'm not posting at CivFanatics, I received a 3 day ban on September 10th.

Comment

What is the use of this?? If you want to play civ3 play it in windows. Why play it in linux if it's exactly the same game? People who run linux also have windows installed, don't they?
                    Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

Originally posted by Hagbart
                      People who run linux also have windows installed, don't they?
                      No, not necessarily. There may well be some who exclusively run Linux. There may also be some who run both Linux and Windows, but may have good reasons as to why they would prefer to run it under Linux.
                      If you're wondering why I'm not posting at CivFanatics, I received a 3 day ban on September 10th.

Comment

Originally posted by Gastric ReFlux

No, not necessarily. There may well be some who exclusively run Linux. There may also be some who run both Linux and Windows, but may have good reasons as to why they would prefer to run it under Linux.

Which reasons? Does it run faster? Is it more stable? I think no, but maybe I'm wrong?

No offence to people who buy this programme.
                        Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

Comment

Originally posted by Hagbart

Which reasons? Does it run faster? Is it more stable? I think no, but maybe I'm wrong?

No offence to people who buy this programme.

Some find Linux very appealing. Reasons include that it can be obtained freely, installed on multiple computers freely, it allows one to muck around more in the guts of the OS because the code is open-source.

I would definitely qualify it as more stable than any of the Win95/98/ME incarnations. A program that tanks under those Windows will often take down the whole computer, as most of us well know. A program that tanks in Linux will not cause a cascade of problems in the OS itself--unless one deliberately writes a program to go after the OS.

I have a Linux box at home, and except for power failures, I've never had to reboot due to a frozen OS in almost three years. The only reboots I've had to make are due to power failures or ones of my own choosing.

Comment

Working...
                          X