Bomber Range makes Giga Maps useless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

numbers

anyone want to guess how much bomber range should be on a giga map?
    TETurkhan Test of Time Map & Mod - Version 2.0 soon to be posted
    TETurkhan Strategy Thread - Discuss ways to play the mod
    [COLOR=sky blue]TETurkhan Stories & Tales - Zion Ambition[/COLOR]

Comment

Re: IMHO, huge maps are meant to be huge, not more detailed

Originally posted by vondrack
      the bombers still have the same range as on the real Earth scale.
      Actualy, on this game, 1 square is supposed to be 10 miles (infact it might be 10 square miles, which means the squares are even shorter in length. And a B-17 (animation used for bomber) should be able to do somthing like 200miles!

Oh, and humans would struggle to live on a planet twice as large as earth!
      Help negate the vegiterian movement!
      For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

A stealth bomber (B-2) with fully loaded fuel can fly to Iraq from Nevada and back without refueling.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

well then, half the world is in Danger! Thank god the government invested in sensors that can detect them things!

Comment

so what can I do?

so what can I do to correct this on my map? A limit of 8 takes someone from Iraq to Greece and thats it baby... thats like useless...

actually I am wrong, it wouldn't even make it to Greece, half way through Turkey and thats it...

8 squares from Bagdad to Ankara (not even)...

Comment

nothing you can do!

Comment

infinite range?

I dont like this feature, but which is better a limit of 8 or no limit?

Comment

thats a stupid questions!
                  Herm? Would i prefer to be limited in my actions, or would i prefer to be limited so i can only do a few things!?

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                    A stealth bomber (B-2) with fully loaded fuel can fly to Iraq from Nevada and back without refueling.
                    Hmm. I'm pretty sure they get refueled in air at some point. I think.

The point is we can't do that in Civ 3. A range of '8', hard coded, even on a large or mega map?? It's crazy.

What I miss even more about bombers is being able to INTERDICT enemy RR lines by leaving a bomber on it for a turn. If they can't shoot it down the line is blocked. In Civ 3 we would need HORDES of bombers trying to destroy imporvements to cut a city or beachhead off from counterattack.

Result? Invasions are more difficult. Less fun is had.

My question stands. '8' is both unrealistic historically and bad in game terms. Why is this the maximum range, Firaxis?? Deign to tell us.

Comment

thats a stupid questions!
                      Herm? Would i prefer to be limited in my actions, or would i prefer to be limited so i can only do a few things!?

okay then, what are your choices? A limit of 8 which renders the unit almost completely ineffective on a large map or close up detailed map such as the one showing Europe, or give them no limit at all - infinite moves.

I don't like the choices either, but thats what we left with

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                        Uber, FYI the B-2 bombers are not stationed at Nellis Air Force Base. They are based in Montana somewhere.

Comment

i actualy made a mistake there and said the same option twice! sorry! I'm very tired!

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
                            What I miss even more about bombers is being able to INTERDICT enemy RR lines by leaving a bomber on it for a turn. If they can't shoot it down the line is blocked. In Civ 3 we would need HORDES of bombers trying to destroy imporvements to cut a city or beachhead off from counterattack.
                            Yes, I believe many people miss this HISTORICALLY ACCURATE and REALISTIC use of bombers... bombers hanging in the air for a year or so, blocking railroads if not shot down...

FYI, a HORDE consists of about 4-8 bombers, supported by two or three battleships. That is two fully loaded carriers plus their cover. I have lead several successfull invasions across an ocean using such "HORDES"...

Comment

I think unlimited bomber range would be very annoying. Every turn dozens or even hundreds (16 civs) of AI bombers will start to bombard anything anywhere within your empire.

Comment

I think that the real purpose of limiting the range of bombers is to force players to use aircraft carriers (and airbases once PTW comes out) intelligently. If you could station your bombers in your own cities and bombard wherever you wanted, then aircraft carriers would be completely useless and no player would even build them.
                                Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Working...
                                X