Bomber Range makes Giga Maps useless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry about the CF

Zouave is getting to me... all his propaganda... at first I thought yeah they should change it... but then next thing I know I was a zealous believer... night and day... all I can think about is CF...

I think we are going to start a clan... DEATH TO CF...
    look what youve done to me Zouave...
    TETurkhan Test of Time Map & Mod - Version 2.0 soon to be posted
    TETurkhan Strategy Thread - Discuss ways to play the mod
    [COLOR=sky blue]TETurkhan Stories & Tales - Zion Ambition[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
      Why CF? Why crazy levels of settler expansion? Why can't subs and privateers attack merchant shipping? Why no Cheat Mode? I guess we are just the hoi poloi not entitled to know.
      To the administrators: What does culture flipping have to do with the topic? Let's develop the best workaround we can with what is given us and get on with the game! (Or should I have volunteered for that double shift today?)

Comment

Is it possible to scale the movement rates or all units when the player picks the size of the map? For example, tiny maps bombers have range of 6. Standard maps movement rate of 8. Huge maps movement of 10. Or something like that. Also scale the movement of naval units and land units.

This seems to depend on if the huge maps are really larger then the other maps or if the huge maps are the same size, just more detailed?
        "Calm down Nedlydidlydidlydidly. They did their best Shodidlyidlyidly.
        "The Butcher with the Sharpest knife, has the warmest heart." "Mitchell!!"

Comment

good idea but can't be done

the limit is 8, there is no changing this...
          but what you posted is the right approach, the movement rate of units should be altered according to the map being used... not just bombers but all units.

Comment

I disagree.

If you scale movement you'd also have to somehow "scale" distance between cities in order to keep the balance (you don't want to be able to get through half of the enemy's empire in one turn, do you?).

And if you did this then there would be no reason to play a bigger map anymore as everything is just scaled equally.

Comment

Very interesting

Z

Comment

thats what I meant also

yes, that what I mean when I said it depended on the map you were using... let say a map of Europe, even though Giga sized is not the same as a world map Giga sized. The Movement rate would have to be different for both...

It always will come down to the map your using...
                When starting this thread I was referring to a Giga sized World Map, the limit of 8 is not indicative of the actual range of bombers... most other units can be adjusted accordingly.

That automatic adjusting feature - great idea - that way we wouldn't have to create a mod for every map we want to play with...

Comment

I'm currently messing around with a "Battle for Britian" Scenario and I too feel the pain of 8 max moves.

I am using a map of just Northwestern Europe, and THIS is what a bomber can do from London.

Those 3 spots of unimproved German Territory and that road/minebetter fear the oncomming bombers!

(note: i may make France German-Controlled because of this fact)
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

oh, the attachment. duh!
                    Attached Files
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

thats rough

Good example, shows exactly what we are talking about... why doesn't someone ask Firaxis? Just write a quick memo - it is after all a legitimate concern.

Comment

I bet they limited bomber range to simplify things for the AI.

I feel it in me bones!

Comment

I rarly ever use bombers, so their limited range doesn't really bother me. OR, maybe it's because of their limited range that I hardly ever use them. I hardly use jets either. I just make a few to shoot down the AI bombers.

I don't really like destroying improvements on 'my future territory'. I prefer to make land-based assaults because you can't take cities w/ bombers.

If I do use bombers, it's usually to bombard AI units that are too close to my borders. If the AI is w/in bomber range of my borders, then they are way too close!
                          "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Re: Do they have a response?

Originally posted by teturkhan
                            I probably missed it, but has Firaxis ever responded to Culture Flipping or Bomber Range Limits? I am sure they have a reason, would love to know what it is...
                            It's rather simple: The guys at Firaxis like it, so thus it stays. In fact, they really like it. So, ultimately, it stays. Too bad, so sad, tough luck, yadda yadda.

On topic, I think the scaling bombard range per map idea would work nicely. And a removable of the hard-coded limit would probably make the most people happy, too.

BTW, do bombard units normally fail constantly in their attack, after about five turns of constant bombardment on a city? I have never had a succesful hit with a catapult...
                            I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Never used catapult. Not once. Nope. As for bombing "my future territory" I will bomb 1)units 2)strat resources 3) lux 4) cities. In that order. I don't bomb just because I have them to use...

Comment

give me some numbers

I am working on movement rate of units for my new map - giga sized... if you guys can take a look at the map and tell me what range you think I should give bombers, mobile units etc..

thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X