Should I return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I return?

I played Civ3 casually for a while when it was first released, and enjoyed the experience, even if it wasn't too different from Civ2. However I gave up after one of the early patches (1.16??) when the speed of AI tech trading just got depressing and then got sidetracked by other games.

I'm contemplating returning to the game, is it worth it? Is tech trading workably fixed? are there any other big problems remaining?

Also if I do return, I've noticed a plethora of community content out there, anyone want to give me recommends of some of the better ones?

1.29f is very good, "return" if you wish lol,

i couldn't give a monkees...

Comment

I can't understand why you went away in the first place but it's true that the tech trading and the AI have had quite a work over since 1.16f. So give it another try, although some are never and will never be satisfied with the game.

So long...
      Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
      Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
      Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Tech trading is still much more aggressive than in the original and you will need to be in a very strong position to gain a tech lead at the higher difficulty levels but they no longer seem to trade during your turn.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

Yes, by all means return. But when you do, download my Space Race mod (Click the link on my signature, and ignore the information, it IS updated, I've just had problems updating the information page.)

Yes, I know, another shameless plug.
          - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
          - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
          - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Many bugs have been fixed and the tech trading is waaay better. So i'd give it another try if i were you. But im not you, so its not my problem....why am i responding....why am i here............

Comment

Return. I've only had the game since 1.21, and I love it. By all means, stay away if you don't like it. Nobodies forcing you.

It takes time to understand the finer aspects of the game. YOu may think you understand everything, but Civ3 is a VERY deep game. I'm sure that if you devote a few day;s playing it, you'll love it.

Better than any strategy game I've every played. A must for all strategy fans.

Comment

hey Xerces. ever played SMAC?
                What an ugly city. Lets burn it down and build a magnificent forest.

Comment

Originally posted by The Templar
                  Yes, by all means return. But when you do, download my Space Race mod (Click the link on my signature, and ignore the information, it IS updated, I've just had problems updating the information page.)

Yes, I know, another shameless plug.
                  No, no, no!

Download my MOD (link below).

Comment

yes
                    CSPA

Comment

Firaxis has given us a hell of a game.

Comment

if only i knew where my smac cd is....
                        Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
                        Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
                        "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                          No, no, no!

Download my MOD (link below).
                          NO!!
                          MY mods!

MS Word format documentation of the mods, so you can pick and choose.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Return to Civ3. If you enjoyed the experience in the first place, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the game in its current state. Be sure to apply the latest patch (v1.29f).

As for mods from the community, I would not know which one to recommend, since I don't play with them, but check out on Snoopy's graphics mods, they are a very fine work.
                            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I stopped playing for a few months.
                              Not because I didn't like the game, but just because I didn't start a new game, and days became months, you know

But now with the new patch, and PtW coming soon I started a new game. I like it. I play emperor level, and it's really tough, but I like it.

I should say: defenitively return!
                              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                              X