Neat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat.

I am playing Civ3 and I decide to attack the Americans. They are my neighbors on a continent next to me. Their continent and my continent are connected by a short and narrow land bridge. The strip of land is 1 tile wide and 2 tiles long. Anyways, I begin my attack and start towards the landbridge. I find out that the Americans had placed a fortress and musketman on a hill, blocking my way before I can cross the land bridge. No problem, I kill him and start across the landbridge. In the middle of the land bridge their is a mountain and another fortress and another musketman. I kill him and continue across the bridge. I finally, make it to their continent, and I am about the spread out, when their is another fortress on a hill with a spearman defending. I have never seen the AI place fortresses in such obvious good defender places. The AI used either hills or mountains and there was no way across the land bridge without going through their defenders. I don't know if anyone has ever seen this before, but I am very happy that it appears that the AI is using the terrain and fortresses to defend itself. If I can figure out how to take a screenshot, then I will post it if anyone cares.
    "Calm down Nedlydidlydidlydidly. They did their best Shodidlyidlyidly.
    "The Butcher with the Sharpest knife, has the warmest heart." "Mitchell!!"

You press Print Screen when in the game and the you open up a MS paint window and use the paste command (Ctrl+V).

Comment

To take a screen shot. Press the PrtScn button on your keyboard. Then paste it in to paint or what ever program you use for that kind of stuff.

Comment

I've seen this stuff before, also from the Americans believe it or not.

What's doing, Firaxis?

Taking over their continent I came to a mountain range blocking the east 'heartland'. They brought all their huge rifleman army up to defend on all those mountains and things turned ugly...

Luckily my Indian allies took most of the flak
        "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

This sounds great
          I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

the ai is getting smarter, eh? haven't seen too much of that yet myself though. maybe in my next game
            CSPA

Comment

Hey, miike!

How is it going? Still frowning over Civ3? Or liking it more every hour you play?

Radek

Comment

Maybe the AI has started hiring military advisors.....

Comment

Sure there weren't any resources on the tiles? I have seen the AI build forts once or twice that seemed to be strategic but they happened to have resources.

Comment

Haven't seen that yet but i hope it's true.
                    What?

Comment

Here ya go
                      Attached Files

Comment

I am the green ironclad in the pic. I went and reloaded a saved game, just so you can see the defenders. There were no strategic or luxury tiles there, when I took them over. Of course, I had not discovered uranium yet. So, maybe there will be in the future. It looks to me like they are defending their continent.

Comment

I would say that you are correct Miike,very clever that.Those Americans are defending better than I do in similar situations,I usually place acity on part of the landbridge.
                          A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by vondrack
                            Hey, miike!

How is it going? Still frowning over Civ3? Or liking it more every hour you play?

Radek
                            It is getting better, I just try not to take this too seriously. Also, culture helps me take back any cities that I lose. When I play, I consider my civ like my baby, and I get really pissed when the AI comes in and tries to wreck everything. Also, whenever I see the AI do something particularly intelligent like fortresses on hills and using chokepoints, I am pretty pleased. Earlier in the same game that screenshot is from, I had placed a Jaguar Warrior on that same mountain, just to keep the Americans from spreading out. Of course, the English beat me to it. Oh well.

Comment

I don't know if anyone still checks out the old messages, but here is another screenshot of the computer blocking my expansion to another area. The computer is definately blocked people from expanding. It is pretty nice to see this, even if I am being screwed for land. Now all we need is to teach the AI the importance of destroying roads to strategic resources.

Comment

Working...
                              X