Slow Gameplay problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Gameplay problem?

Sorry if this is covered anywhere else but I am having a problem with Civ3 being really slow on my PC. If I turn off the animations, it's not too bad but when it takes 5 seconds for the settler unit to drop his pack and set up shop it's irritating.

I have an AMD 1700+ with 1GB SDRAM, Lots of hard drive space and a GF3 128MB gfx card. WinXP is a pain but I have little choice. I have nothing else running in the background.

Any help?

Dave

Have you tried running a virus scanner?
    Because with your specs, you shouldn't have these problems.
    Unless you are playing very well into the modern age on a maxed out huge map with all civs.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Standard size map and no Virus scanner.

Everything is fine except the animations. THey seem to be the only item that is slow. If I turn them off, through the preferences, I only get pauses in the animinations that seem to be forced.

Comment

I used to face that problem in my old machine (K6-500 w/ 64 MB RAM), but since I updated to a system a little better (Duron 850 w/ 256 MB RAM) I've been having a breeze out of it.

What drivers are you using for your video card? It has been reported that the Win XP drivers for Nvidia cards actually decrease the card's performance.
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Make sure you have the latest drivers for that Gforce.

If you just got the game and haven't obtained and installed any patches that too may be your problem. The game should not run slow on that system. XP should not be a problem either by now. Its either the drivers or you need to install a patch. The original unpatched game had issues with XP and the Detonators that were around back then.

Why is XP a pain? It works well for most people excpept with some DOS games and a few other programs. You should hit the update shortcut in your start menu. If you have never gone to MSs XP udate you are still using XP in an unpatched state. Not a good idea.

Comment

I just upgraded to a new machine with 2.0Gb Memory, a 512Mb cache and a 64 Mb graphics card running on Windows XP Professional. The game rushes along like nobody's business.

On my old machine, it was slow and annoying, but the game works really well on higher end machines, I've found.
            petey

-When in doubt attack. When not in doubt, attack anyways - it's more fun

Comment

Working...
            X