Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do with first GL in this case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ill make it a priority from now on. Good point about denial..it will make my enemies slaughter that much easier.

Comment

In my current game I have had 3 ancient GLs it is going awesome and It's only 1 ad.

First one built a 3 horsemen army, 2nd one rushed Heroic Epic. 3rd one I think is gonna rush Sun Tzu's when I get feudalism.

I have almost an entire horseman elite army..its hard to even find any vets they are all elite. Gotta love it.

When I get riders= scary.
      Last edited by Artifex; July 28, 2002, 18:46.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
        chinese = militaristic...

heroic epic =

together, you'll have an INSANE number of great leaders.

i vote for an army.
        I've tried that road and I must sadly admit that I did not get many GL. It may be something I am doing but I never really get a lot of GL.

In this case I'd go for the Great Library because of it's cultural value and the fact that by building it you deny it to others .
        Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
        Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
        Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Artifex,

Do you have a spot for a good Forbidden Palace? If so, this is a no-brainer. Rush the FP. If not, but you will have the perfect city for the FP soon, hold the leader (use only vet troops until you use it) for that. If, however, it will be some time before you have the optimal FP spot and you feel confident you will do a bunch more fighting, make an army and get that Heroic Epic going.

The army/HE is a gamble. It's a calculated risk. You are trading 1 leader and the shields req'd for the HE *now* in exchange for a higher leader generation rate for the balance of the game. It's sometimes a tough call. But 9 times out of 10, I agree with Catt:

An optimal Forbidden Palace in the BC years. When you absolutely, positively have to have Ultimate Power, accept no substitutes (I apologize for the Pulp Fiction reference, I couldn't help it).

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I think it depends on what type of victory you're shooting for. If you're going for space race, I wouldn't bother with Great Library on Monarch. It's too easy to research faster than the AI on that difficulty level (at least it was pre-patch, usually you could get a lead by the middle of the medieval era if not before). You could really shoot yourself in the foot going for Great Library in that situation. OTOH a conquest or cultural victory would really support use of the library as you can set taxes to 100% and use the cash to buy units etc assuming you're in a non-despotism government.

Otherwise, unless you're preparing a Palace jump, then definitely build the FP. Best wonder (great or small) in the game.

Comment

Great Library and do everything possible to make as many contacts as possible. Buy 'em, trade for 'em, and send out galleys (you might get lucky)
              Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

Winning the Space Race is a long, drawn-out process now that the parts of been delayed to later techs, 2 of them to Robotics.

Oops! That's in MY Civ universe!

Comment

Originally posted by Artifex
                  In my current game I have had 3 ancient GLs it is going awesome and It's only 1 ad.

First one built a 3 horsemen army, 2nd one rushed Heroic Epic. 3rd one I think is gonna rush Sun Tzu's when I get feudalism.

I have almost an entire horseman elite army..its hard to even find any vets they are all elite. Gotta love it.

When I get riders= scary.
                  May we assume that you hereby officially retract the earlier thread "Hmm, maybe militaristic stinks after all"?

Comment

I would still go for the army with regard to the original question. but would agree that the FP is also a must have.Great Library is a good one to have and its always better for you to have the wonders than anyone else.I would say that if you want a cultural victory then get GL but conquest is much more fun and will be far easier to acheive with Heroic Epic & Military Academy later.You should certainly set about gaining overall control of your continent as early as possible to stand any chance of being a super power later when the other AI are known to you.
                    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

I definately have an admiration for the militaristic trait now. My last two games I have generated 3 leaders each. I quit the first game in the midst of Middle Ages and the second one is about 20% into the Industrial Age. I have only gotten one leader in all of my other games.

Comment

Hey Artifex let us know how things turned out when youve finished the game.
                        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Working...
                        X