Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do with first GL in this case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do with first GL in this case?

Playing as the chinese on monarch.

Its 100 BC, you just discovered literature. You are on a medium sized continent with Japan and India (they don;t have literature). You just got a great leader. You made peace with India and are at war with Japan. You have the hanging gardens and colossus. Japan built oracle much earlier. On another continent the greeks just built the great lighthouse and english built great wall.

Would you rush build the great library with this leader? Even tho you are on a smaller continent away from most of the other civs and great lighthouse has been built on the other contient already? So contact is not assured. If you don't build it more than likely it will be lost to someone on other continent.

Or would you build an army and then build the heroic epic?

Or something else?

chinese = militaristic...

heroic epic =

together, you'll have an INSANE number of great leaders.

i vote for an army.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Same as Uber - probably an army and then a quick victory for HE and later MA.

OTOH, if Japan is firmly under your thumb (i.e., you can lacksadaisically let the war drag on without feeling the need to press the offense, without worrying about Japanese counter-attacks, and having already gotten a pretty good map / view of your home continent) an optimally placed and rushed Forbidden Palace could do wonders for the game. Since you're on the smaler continent, if I were you I would consider rushing my FP in the center of the smaller continent, with a long range plan of eventually using a future leader to rush a palace on the new continent. An early FP can do wonders for your game, and a docile but "at war" Japan may yet yield a leader for an army before you feel the need to make peace.

Catt

Comment

Army. If you intend to stay at war and are good at managing the creation of leaders (it can be an art).

GL might gain you a lot though. The one who builds the Lighthouse will find your continent in most cases. The maps are just worth so much.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

My preference would be the Great Library but thats because I usually spend most of the game playing tech catch-up on monarch and emperor. You seem to be already equal or ahead in the tech race so it may not be critical to assure yourself of it. You should have been building a palace in a high production city in anticipation of your discovery of literature though which should allow you to build it first anyway. So build the army.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I would also go for the Great Library, and then try as hard as I can to get contact with another civ, sending galleys, buying communications, doing whatever.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

What size map? Are there other, as yet undiscovered AI civs?

How many cities do you have? How many in total (incl. Japan & India) on your founding continent?
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

No one else thinks an optimally placed FP in 100 BC is the way to go? He already has the Hanging Gardens (Monarchy) - it can't be too much more before the GL is a culture monster but otherwise useless (and that's assuming the G. Lighthouse builder makes its way to our home continent soon).

My experience has been that a great FP built in the BCs is a game breaker.

Catt

Comment

The important question that hasn't been considered is what will you do with your *second* great leader, and how soon do you want that leader?

I vote for Army. Then win an easy battle with the army, and build the Heroic Epic.

The Great Library will likely net you no techs before it is obsolete, because you have the tech lead on your island and you haven't met anyone else. But the army is guaranteed to be useful because you are at war.
                  None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

You should build an army and turn your continent red with Japanese blood.
                    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Hmmm... I think you should rush the G.L. This will enable you to set yoyr science research to 0%. you should be able to save up lost of money. then, buil lots of units, and stratigicly take out your neighbors.

Comment

Army. The existence of an army, especially in ancient times, opens the way to faster victories, several small wonders, and an increased chance for more leaders.

Great Library expires so quickly that it is literally a waste for your precious Great Leader. I never rush any of those ancient wonders since they all expire sooner or later(except Pyramid which you should rather capture). But the real important wonders are from the Medieval Age: Sun Tzu's Art of War, Leonardo's Workshop, and the Sistine Chapel. These are wonders worth rushing for.

Comment

Hmm, I always thought sun tzu's a waste for militaristic due to our cheap barracks, unless it saves maintenance costs. I can't remember if it does, is this why you value it? Just rushing cheaps barracks in all cities is easy enough.

Leo's Workshop is a must for china, those horsemen upgrades of 80 gp to knights are steep indeed. And the chapel is priceless no doubt.
                          Last edited by Artifex; July 28, 2002, 18:22.

Comment

As a militaristic civ, you don't have to build Sun Tzu's Art of War, but it's still good to deny other Civs from having it.

Comment

I always try to make sure I get Art Of War
                              A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Working...
                              X