Where are these "raging" barbarians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redbird,

Ok, I know what you mean. I've had that happen too. I don't think workers or settlers count (yes, they push back the FoW, but they aren't military units). In my experience, the only way to get rid of those blasted camps is to build cities and expand your borders. However, I distinctly recall several situations where I could not spare a settler and I used a unit to sit on a mountain in an unsettled area to prevent the barbs from popping up again. It worked.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
      Within difficulty settings, change "combat bonus vs barbarians" = 0
      Just went into the editor, and I see that on Monarch level the value is 100. [Names corrected:](Chieftain=800, Warlord=400, Regent=200, Monarch=100, Emperor=50, Diety=0). Does this mean that you have one-to-one odds at diety, but at monarch you get two-to-one odds against barbarians? If not then how does these numbers work?

Edit: When I first posted this I mixed up the names. I'm correcting them with this edit.
      Last edited by RedBird; July 27, 2002, 03:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        The best option is to remove the barb combat bonus. Or play at the difficulty level where there is none (but of course the AI always plays on "regent" so they have a huge combat bonus vs. barbs).
        I always play at Regent also, so the AI has as much advantage over them as I have. This way (hopefully), the AI can be tormented by the barbs also!

JB,
        President of the Equal Combat Rights to Barbarians Society

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
          However, I distinctly recall several situations where I could not spare a settler and I used a unit to sit on a mountain in an unsettled area to prevent the barbs from popping up again. It worked.
          You must have been lucky then because I've done the exact same thing, and I've had encampments pop up. I think I recall an encampment popping up once next to a Modern Armor, but I'm not positive about that. I am positive, however, about encampments popping up under the watchful eye of MechInf sitting on mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBird
            Just went into the editor, and I see that on Monarch level the value is 100. (Chieftain=800, Regent=400, Prince[I think it was called prince, but I forget now]=200, Monarch=100, Warlord=50, Diety=0). Does this mean that you have one-to-one odds at diety, but at monarch you get two-to-one odds against barbarians? If not then how does these numbers work?
            YES, at Monarch your strength is doubled! Attack AND Defense, is my belief. Isn't that horrendous? SO unfair to the poor barbs.

That's why it's "President of the Equal Combat Rights to Barbarians Society"

Comment

My current game is on a real world map. The map starts with several barbarian encampments there. It's about 1200ad, and I just plopped the first towns down in australia. I've had my military there for over a century, tho - four elite infantry on rough terrain. One is dead (!), the others have all lost hit points. There were more barbarian horsemen than I could count. The first wave of attacks brought dozens of horsemen. After that, they just kept streaming in, with no end in sight. I managed to wipe out two encampments, but half of the continent is still black...

My point is just that the camps will produce huge numbers of bad guys, given enough time. Even tho they are just wimps, the sheer number of them makes it a force to take seriously!

Another good mod is to make a modded privateer 3/1/5 the default barbarian ship. They can sink all your wooden ships, so you must take care around them.
              The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
              intelligence to few.

Comment

How very egalitarian of you Jaybe.

"Sure they're smelly and want to destroy us but darnit, we have to be fair"
                Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

Originally posted by N. Machiavelli
                  How very egalitarian of you Jaybe.

"Sure they're smelly and want to destroy us but darnit, we have to be fair"
                  Thank You! I have to admit that I get the most fun out of the barbarian threads.
                  There are few areas in life that I try to ram my opinions down another's throat, but this is definitely one of them.

JB,

Comment

Originally posted by RedBird

You mean that in one turn the barbarian encampment will put out 30 horsemen, or just that over time you'll end up with 30 horsemen?
                    Both.

If you get a notice of an uprising from your military advisor, you might get a stack of 25-30 horsemen appear out of nowhere. Sometimes they're produced by an encampment, sometimes they're produced by a Galley on the coast.

However, the encampments also produce Horsemen at various intervals, I'm not sure of the time scale, if there even is any. It could be just a random thing. At any rate, the Horsemen produced tend to join together over time, so that if you don't take out an encampment that's close to your empire, you might find yourself battling a stack of 20 or more eventually.

Comment

YES, at Monarch your strength is doubled! Attack AND Defense, is my belief. Isn't that horrendous? SO unfair to the poor barbs.

That's why it's "President of the Equal Combat Rights to Barbarians Society"
                      Is that with 1.29 ? It seems like I've lost more combats than normal against barbs with my first 1.29 game (monarch).
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

in 1.29, i noticed that uprisings have been reduced to 6 barbs. thats not an uprising, thats just an annoyance. bring back the 26 barbs..........

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                          Is that with 1.29 ? It seems like I've lost more combats than normal against barbs with my first 1.29 game (monarch).
                          I THINK Redbird is in error in one or two of the percentage advantages, but if you check your Editor: Difficulty Levels tab: Attack Bonus Against Barbarians, you'll find what they are. Check the .bic file you are playing with (original or scenario).

JB,

Comment

Originally posted by ALPHA WOLF 64
                            in 1.29, i noticed that uprisings have been reduced to 6 barbs. thats not an uprising, thats just an annoyance. bring back the 26 barbs..........
                            I cannot yet speak with authority, but I would wager that your 6 barbs had been intercepted by some AI troops, reducing their number.

JB,

[Edit: deleted duplicate 'yet', typos]
                            Last edited by Jaybe; July 27, 2002, 00:07.

Comment

I cannot yet speak with authority yet, but I would wager that your 6 barbs had been intercepted by som AI troops, reducing their number.

JB,
                              Yes, a maximum of 6 seems like a pretty drastic reduction, especially considering that they added a no barb option in the game setup.

Comment

If they have been reduced to 6 in number, I would bet that they increased their effect (well, at least I HOPE so)!

Comment

Working...
                                X