No announcement yet.

Can I fire my shipbuilders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historically, frigates lost to galleons quite often in the Carribbean. Galleons were built to protect treasure FROM frigates.

Comment

I got realy realy annoyed when I had a Trireme running around bombarding me so I went to build a ship, laughed for a moment to see that trireme was obsolete so I built the newest ship, cant remember since I almost never build ships before battleships. So my ship finished production, I went out to fight the trireme and was sunk with no damage to the trireme!!

In my game now Im going up against this guy using Modern Armour, hes using old tanks. If I attack one of his regular tanks with my modern armour, my modern armour unfailingly goes into the red zone before winning! Ive had this happen over and over again, how is it possible that WW1 style tanks can stand up against something that looks like it could school an M1 A1 Abrams???
      TWO FISTED MONKEY STYLE ATTACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Fighter
        I got realy realy annoyed when I had a Trireme running around bombarding me
        What mod is this, that triremes can bombard?
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

The Civ 2 Mod Nowadays they are called galleys

DeepO

Comment

Nice avatar.
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Thanks Theseus

DeepO

Comment

I simply canot believe anyone is still using the ludicrous unit values Firaxis gave us, and that is especially so with naval units. Mod it.

Historically, frigates lost to galleons quite often in the Carribbean. Galleons were built to protect treasure FROM frigates.
                Absolute non-historical rubbish and nonsense. Absurd.
                Frigates came long AFTER galleons. But in Civ 3 a lot of reality is out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                  I finally lost a Tank to a Pikeman. Still no Spearman though. It will happen. The odds say it will. Just not yet.
                  I lost with a vet Modern Armor to a regular Spearman in Minitourney 3. It just got not killed, but retreated in shame. Does this count? Btw: The Spearman got not even promoted.

On topic: Yes, bombard, and bombard again. Then attack. Even if you aren't able to attack, because you have only one ship there, the enemy ship will most likely head home to heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
                    Originally posted by GhengisFarb
                    Frigates came long AFTER galleons.
                    Coracle is right about this. Frigates were naval vessels in 17th-19th centuries, whereas galleons ruled high seas much earlier, in 15th-17th centuries (I have just checked the numbers in Encyclopaedia Britannica).

Comment

Perhaps they could replace Gallons with merchantmen, which would have no attack and a defense of 1. Then they could then add Spain to the list of civs, and make the Gallon there special unit.
                      Last edited by seano1; August 7, 2002, 06:37.

Comment

Working...
                      X