Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Leader Generation (mystery solved)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedBird

Just so long as you remember not to use the same elites.
    With the 1.29f patch, an ELITE unit will have the star * after Elite, like this Elite* denoting the unit has generated a GL. Also, you will have the option of renaming the unit as a further assist.

Comment

i think i have gotten them when defendilng also, but not for a few weeks... i have gotten a few in the open. but i usually only get them if the unit is the last defender or defeats the last defender in a city.
      i also get FAR more GL's if the unit is a UU, and not just because uu's win more or i happen to build more of them. i think being a uu has a lot to do with it...

Comment

According to Firaxis, it doesn't say that UU makes a difference, just whether or not you are attacking/defending, modified if you have the Heroic Epic.

quote:
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike B., does it look like the odds 1/12 and 1/16 are applied under the correct conditions (before/after Heroic Epic) for generating a leader?
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Odds with Heroic Epic = 1/12
        Odds without Heroic Epic = 1/16
        The odds are halved for defenders (1/24 and 1/32).

Mike Breitkreutz
        Programmer
        FIRAXIS Games

If you build a lot of UU, then you will get more leaders that way just because that is what you are attacking/defending with.

Comment

Well you naturally notice getting more leaders in situations where you win more combats. And are the most combats? Were stacks of units attack cities of course?

One thing I’ve noticed is that I’ve only once gotten a leader fighting barbarians
          Last edited by seano1; July 29, 2002, 01:57.

Comment

Hmmm.... So that talking monkey.. Is it yours?????
            Having no mind, without desires,
            Self-quieted, self-existing,
            It is like a wave of water.
            Luminosity is veiled only by the rising of desire.

Comment

Originally posted by seano1
              One thing I’ve noticed is that I’ve only once gotten a leader fighting barbarians
              Wow so it IS possible to gain leaders when fighting against barbarians ? I tought i wasnt possible at all ? Has anyone else gotten leaders from barbarian battles ? I sure havent. Well thats maybe my bad luck again.

Btw. is it possible to get a GL with a Warrior unit ? I have never had a GL with a warrior but have had GLs with every other unit i can think of. I specifically saved about 10 elite warriors in a game a while ago and finished dozens of enemy spearmen/archers with them, but got no GL. Maybe bad luck stroke again.

Comment

I have got GL on open ground not too often but I have. I usually get t hem when attcking cities but I also got them when I defended out in the open!

Seano1 ar you sure about that? Can you post a save? I am pretty sure that there is no GL generation from attacking/defending barbarians.

So long....
                Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Re: getting GL from barbarians: it used to be in the first, original release, but was removed with the first patch, I think. IIRC, I got my first ever leader from barbarians, on defense. But I lost it when the rest of the stack attacked

DeepO

Comment

Originally posted by The Pioneer
                    I have got GL on open ground not too often but I have. I usually get t hem when attcking cities but I also got them when I defended out in the open!

Seano1 ar you sure about that? Can you post a save? I am pretty sure that there is no GL generation from attacking/defending barbarians.

So long....
                    Actually, I’m not really sure. I just have a sort of vague memory.

Comment

No GLs from barbs.

Location doesn't matter, other than in the context of defense bonuses.

No greater likelihood for UUs, other than combat bonuses.

With that out of the way, a short primer in generating early GLs:

The setting, Ancient Era, having researched Bronze Working, Iron Working, and Horseback Riding.

In considering the AI civs around, look for a bottleneck with an adjacent mountain. For instance, I did this yesterday using el mencey's 100x100 Earth map... there is a 1 Desert tile bottleneck at the NW corner of India, with water to the south and a mountain to the north.

If there are any foreign cities nearby, raze them.

Use that mountain as a forward battle station; in my case, I used a 2X Sword Army as the defender, but you could just as well use a bunch of Swordsmen and Spearmen (although the ZOC free shot from the Army helps).

As single enemy troops stream by, keep hitting them with the same Horsemen, over and over again. Retreat back onto the mountain to heal up. For stacks, use vet Horsemen as fabric softeners, then use elite Swordsmen to KILL, and then mop up the last unit with an elite Horseman.

Just a matter of time.
                      Attached Files
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I got my very first GL while defending. It freaked me out because I didn't know about them then.

Since then, I've generated several GL's-all from attacking, no more from defense. Some of them were from attacking cities, some from open combat.

Location doesn't seem to matter. I guess it was just luck (or lack thereof).
                        "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Conqueror

Wow so it IS possible to gain leaders when fighting against barbarians ? I tought i wasnt possible at all ? Has anyone else gotten leaders from barbarian battles ? I sure havent. Well thats maybe my bad luck again.

Btw. is it possible to get a GL with a Warrior unit ? I have never had a GL with a warrior but have had GLs with every other unit i can think of. I specifically saved about 10 elite warriors in a game a while ago and finished dozens of enemy spearmen/archers with them, but got no GL. Maybe bad luck stroke again.
                          RE: Warriors--see the AU 101 thread in the Strategy Forum. Someone (sorry don't remember whom) got a GL w/ warriors.

RE: Barbarians--no longer possible to get GL from Barbs, however, you can get to Elite status, then get GL from attacking/defending another civ.
                          "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                          X